What's new

Time for Tsai's Taiwan to tilt toward Japan

Aepsilons

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Japan
The landslide victory of Tsai Ing-wen's pro-independence Democratic Progressive Party in Taiwan's recent presidential election has ignited speculation about possible tensions with Beijing. Less often discussed is Taiwan's relationship with its rich neighbor to the north. Cooler relations with China almost certainly mean stronger ties with Japan, just as the reverse held true under the presidency of Beijing-friendly pragmatist, Ma Ying-jeou of the Kuomintang Party.

Politics often follows economics; hence Taiwan's rapprochement with the mainland of the past 12 years and the ascendancy of Ma's KMT over the same period. China's supercharged growth spurt presented an irresistible opportunity to Taiwan's larger companies, which became major contributors in the huge influx of foreign direct investment into the People's Republic.

Today 40% of Taiwanese exports go to China and Hong Kong, against just 11% to Japan. On the back of its Chinese operations, Taiwanese contract manufacturer Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., better known as Foxconn, has become a vast enterprise, with a turnover of $140 billion and more than 1 million employees.

Ma's administration made this possible by removing various impediments to closer economic ties and upholding the "1992 Consensus," a politically convenient formula that allowed each side to claim that there was "one China" while retaining that title for itself. Tsai and her DPP predecessors have never accepted this line.

From Beijing's point of view, the carrot has worked much better than the stick -- so far, at least. Back in 1996, there had been a severe bout of cross-strait tension when China showed its displeasure with the explicitly pro-independence Taiwanese President Lee Teng-hui by conducting missile tests within 40km of the Taiwanese coast. The result was a dangerous standoff and a show of force by the U.S. Navy, which sent two aircraft carriers to the area.

Nobody wants to see a repeat of that today, when the stakes are so much higher for all parties. Yet even from a purely economic view, some distancing of Taiwan from mainland China is highly likely. Indeed ex-president Ma's famous handshake with Chinese President Xi Jinping in Singapore last November -- which celebrated the first meeting between a leader of the KMT and a leader of the Chinese Communist Party since Mao Zedong met Chiang Kai-shek in 1945 -- may prove to be the highwater mark of cross-strait relations.

China's sweet spot turns sour

A key driver of bilateral relations is the Chinese economy. Even by official numbers, it is no longer the fastest growing major economy in the world; today India has that distinction. More to the point, the combination of rising wages and a currency that has strengthened 40% in real terms over the last eight years has substantially reduced China's competitive advantage as factory of the world.

If the authorities in Beijing manage a seamless transition to a consumption-driven economy, then China will remain a huge, dynamic market for goods and services. Yet many of the large Taiwanese companies present in China -- such as Foxconn, Quanta Computer Inc. and Giant Manufacturing Co. -- are global players which have manufacturing operations there for reasons of cost and efficiency.

The final consumers of the products they manufacture are still mostly in the wealthy countries of the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development. Likewise most of the 40% of Taiwanese exports that go to Hong Kong and China are components -- such as computer chips and LCD panels -- that end up in products sold elsewhere in the world.

Of course complex supply chains cannot be replaced at the drop of a hat. Yet over time, cost should prove a crucial factor for new investment flows. Like U.S. and Japanese companies, Taiwanese manufacturers will be examining alternative production bases.

Furthermore, what has worked well for major Taiwanese companies has not necessarily benefitted Taiwan's domestic economy and the living standards of ordinary people; hence the KMT's loss of popular support. Tsai will need to prioritize these issues over the interests of big business if she is to maintain her political authority.

Taiwan's "Japan"

The combination of China's rapid growth and Japan's long period of inward-looking stagnation meant that Japanese-Taiwanese relations were downgraded. Even so, Japan has remained a significant source of FDI, usually ranking first or second on a flow basis, and is also a major supplier of imports, mainly capital goods and components vital to Taiwan's own exports. The two economies are congruent in other ways too. Gross domestic product per head is similar, as are their rankings on the Heritage Foundation's economic freedom index, on which Taiwan is 5th in Asia and Japan 6th, whereas China comes 30th.

The movement of people is revealing too. Over the past few years, Japan has experienced an enormous boom in inbound tourism, with the highest number of travelers by far coming from China. But looking at the numbers in proportion to each country's population shows a different picture. The 5 million mainland arrivals in Japan in 2015 constitute just 0.3% of the Chinese population. By contrast, the 3.7 million Taiwanese arrivals amount to 16% of the entire population.

Taiwan's unique perspective on Japan is apparent in popular culture. A good example is the 2014 movie Kano which tells the true story of a high-school baseball team from a poor area of southern Taiwan that makes it to the final of the national championship. What makes the film unusual is that it is set in the 1930s; the coach is Japanese; the team multi-ethnic; and the championship takes place in the Koshien stadium in Osaka. "Japan" means something totally different to Taiwan today than it does to China or Korea.

Time to hedge bets

According to National Chengchi University polls, public support for unification in Taiwan has fallen from 21% in 1995 to 9% today, whereas support for independence has risen from 11% to 20% over the same period. Events such as the apparent abduction from Hong Kong of bookshop personnel involved in publishing embarrassing tales about China's leaders are hardly likely to swell the pro-China numbers. The cautious majority, 60%, favors the status quo -- but, depending on China's internal politics, the status quo may not be particularly stable.

The challenge for Tsai will be to diversify Taiwan's economic bets -- by strengthening ties with Japan and other regional players -- while averting a 1996-style breakdown in relations with Beijing. A surge in two-way FDI and strategic merger and acquisition deals would be the clearest sign of greater intimacy between Taiwan and Japan and would strengthen political ties. An early application to join the U.S.-backed Trans-Pacific Partnership is another option for Taiwan.

If it plays its cards right, Taiwan could become a logistics hub for northeast Asia, perhaps taking over some of Hong Kong's role as the mainland's footprint there becomes ever larger. The alternative - that is, gradual absorption into a nervy, volatile greater China, is looking less and less attractive.

http://asia.nikkei.com/Viewpoints/Viewpoints/Time-for-Tsai-s-Taiwan-to-tilt-toward-Japan?page=2

A strong Taiwan-Japan relation means a better and prosperous Asia. :tup:

I propose the following:
  1. Economic partnership (TPP) or Japan-Taiwan FTA
  2. Maritime Security Partnership
  3. General Security Partnership
    1. Anti-Terrorism Cooperation
    2. Cybersecurity Cooperation
    3. Anti-Ballistic Missile Cooperation
    4. Military-to-MIlitary Cooperation
  4. Inter-Legislative Forum
  5. Integration-Union-Partnership

Flag-Pins-Japan-Taiwan.jpg

Technically, Japan is not a "Normal Country" as yet, and it is still under US occupation, so a good dose of "自知之明“ would help. You have been a little too excited these days. If you are really for "Great Eastern Asia" thing, you are doing a disservice to your course by irritating ALL Chinese (PRC or ROC) pro-unification members here.

Technically, Japan is not a "Normal Country" as yet, and it is still under US occupation, so a good dose of "自知之明“ would help. You have been a little too excited these days. If you are really for "Great Eastern Asia" thing, you are doing a disservice to your course by irritating ALL Chinese (PRC or ROC) pro-unification members here.

Don't you understand, my friend? That it was through Taiwan that Japan and the PRC was able to integrate on a gradual basis? Taiwan has always been the middle ground in which Tokyo and Beijing had made foundational agreements sucha s the Joint Communique in 1972 and then later in the 1978 Treaty of Peace and Friendship. Japan's integration with Taiwan is the stepping stone wherein Japan's collaboration with Beijing will increase ten fold. We are talking about eventual regional integration, my friend.

In fact it was always through Taiwan that major shifts in policy was seen in regards to Sino-Japanese communications and partnerships. Taiwan , as i have said before, is the coronary artery from which Japan can go into the Chinese Heart.

Integration-Union-Partnership

@Dungeness ---- > Military Partnership / Security Pact between Tokyo and Taiwan (this also includes Beijing). We must think long term, and think of the abstract when we refer to Taiwan/China. We must not be so direct as it might irritate and annoy our friends in Washington. :)

Don't you understand, my friend? That it was through Taiwan that Japan and the PRC was able to integrate on a gradual basis? Taiwan has always been the middle ground in which Tokyo and Beijing had made foundational agreements sucha s the Joint Communique in 1972 and then later in the 1978 Treaty of Peace and Friendship. Japan's integration with Taiwan is the stepping stone wherein Japan's collaboration with Beijing will increase ten fold. We are talking about eventual regional integration, my friend.

In fact it was always through Taiwan that major shifts in policy was seen in regards to Sino-Japanese communications and partnerships. Taiwan , as i have said before, is the coronary artery from which Japan can go into the Chinese Heart.

@Dungeness ---- > Military Partnership / Security Pact between Tokyo and Taiwan (this also includes Beijing). We must think long term, and think of the abstract when we refer to Taiwan/China. We must not be so direct as it might irritate and annoy our friends in Washington. :)

I do not really think Taiwan has that much of influence today as she was in 1970s to China. This is true that trade today between China and Taiwan is bigger, but in turn of political influence that is not too much. Moreover, Japan's integration with Taiwan maybe in your eye is the stepping stone, but to Chinese where we view that Japan is trying to mess up our unification plan. I think you should know that the first territory japan took from us was Taiwan.

20 years ago when I was debating Taiwan issue with my Taiwanese classmate, I asserted to him that the force behind Taiwan independence movement isn't really Taiwanese. It is from Japan. It was a bit shock for him. Now, I think he probably could understand what I said to him.

I do not really think Taiwan has that much of influence today as she was in 1970s to China. This is true that trade today between China and Taiwan is bigger, but in turn of political influence that is not too much. Moreover, Japan's integration with Taiwan maybe in your eye is the stepping stone, but to Chinese where we view that Japan is trying to mess up our unification plan. I think you should know that the first territory japan took from us was Taiwan.

I can understand Chinese pro-unification fears, really. But i should encourage that the ruling party in Taiwan for most of post-ww2 period was the KMT, an entity that was at odds with Imperial Japan for most of the 2nd Sino Japanese War. So to assert that Taiwan under KMT would allow Japan to interfere with unification plan is absurd. In fact, my friend, Japan had, according to the 1972 Joint Communique between Japan and China , had rescinded her recognition of Taiwan (ROC) as the representative of China for the recogntion of PRC (Mainland). Next, the treat of Peace and Friendship in 1978 was signed between Beijing and Tokyo NOT with Tokyo and Taipei. Second, as per the 1978 TOPF, Tokyo had pledged to not interfere with Mainlands unification plans with Taiwan, and it had remained true to this oath and agreement , to date. Japan is a major trading partner of Taiwan -- hence the close relationship -- it is due to this immense economic relationship as well as fond historical reference to Taiwan (Taihoku) that will always leave a positive image and reflection about Taiwan to the Japanese Psyche. Japan carries relationship with Taiwan always in consideration of Beijing's sensitivities. This is why to this day Tokyo does not 'officially' recognise Taiwan as an independent state, as Tokyo abides by the One China Policy. There is not even a Japanese Ambassador to Taiwan, but a special representative.

Everything in how Tokyo interacts with Taipei is done in consideration of Beijing's sensitivities. That is how austere Japan is in regards to the OCP.

Cheers.

20 years ago when I was debating Taiwan issue with my Taiwanese classmate, I asserted to him that the force behind Taiwan independence movement isn't really Taiwanese. It is from Japan. It was a bit shock for him. Now, I think he probably could understand what I said to him.

Japan does not encourage Taiwanese secession, rather, Tokyo has continuously reiterated (through the LDP and DPJ) to Taiwanese administrations (KMT and DPP) to maintain status quo. Tokyo has always maintained the stance of keeping East Asia safe and stable (Japan-China) to prevent unnecessary mobilization of foreign forces that have great designs in the Japan-China Theater.

the East Asia will be once again restored to peace is when Japan to be put to where they really belong```and frankly it will be done by China, not their current ruling country, the U.S```

Because, no matter what fallacy that the U.S keeps telling Japan about accepting it is a part of 'Western gang', it will never be part of it. The West will simply not let any East powers to dominate or dictate what is going in the 'established world'

Japan, whether you want to deny or not, is a sub-culture of Chinese civilization (from writing language to customs they are all Chinese derivatives), even genetically 40% Chinese, so their destiny is with us not with the West, as we Chinese always believe in cultural unity rather than racial purification by which the idea dominated in Japan was insinuated by the West.

Last edited:
Taiwan has a big problem - their exports are very much geared to the mainland China (40%?). They should start the gradual weaning away from PRC.

China has bigger problems right now - with the mounting debt situation, the completely disastrous stock market, the desperate draw down of reserves to shore up the currency and the frenetic flight of capital by chinese to safer shores - these can severely damage the country. The CPC seems lacking talents!

Well said.

Taiwan cannot tilt toward Japan politically as it is not recognized as a political entity. So, as @Nihonjin1051 clarified in his subsequent post, the "tilt" is (and should ideally be) of economic nature, which is all fine. But any attempt to encourage Taiwan to secede is an act of war and there should be no doubt about that.

Of course it won't happen. The chance for a war between Mainland China and Taiwan China is less than a war among various factions of Indian separatism. Mainland and Taiwan are interconnected in more than just economically and it cannot be broken without very major reverberations for Taiwan. It is impossible and I say it as an insider and a frequent participant of cross-Strait dialogue at various levels.

Number of mainland visitors to Taiwan hits record high in 2015
2016-1-27 12:26:58

The number of tourists from the Chinese mainland to Taiwan hit a record high of 3.4 million in 2015, according to a statement of the Taiwan Affairs Office of the State Council on Wednesday.

The statement said about 9.86 million people made cross-Strait trips in total, an expansion of 4.7 percent from the year before.

Taiwan has a big problem - their exports are very much geared to the mainland China (40%?). They should start the gradual weaning away from PRC.

China has bigger problems right now - with the mounting debt situation, the completely disastrous stock market, the desperate draw down of reserves to shore up the currency and the frenetic flight of capital by chinese to safer shores - these can severely damage the country. The CPC seems lacking talents!
if these so-called China 'problems' list by you are a result of lacking talents in CPC```then the U.S must be run by a bunch of morons and your 'shining' India is run by half-wits :lol:

surely we are facing many problems, but is much less than what we were 20 or 30 years ago``and at least these problems are modern and sophisticate```but the problems India facing is medieval and too primitive to even put on table`:lol:

Tsai is just like Puyi. The last "ROC President" and Japanese puppet. After the 2020 great unification war, she will be shackled like an animal and paraded in public!

the East Asia will be once again restored to peace is when Japan to be put to where they really belong```and frankly it will be done by China, not their current ruling country, the U.S```

Because, no matter what fallacy that the U.S keeps telling Japan about accepting it is a part of 'Western gang', it will never be part of it. The West will simply not let any East powers to dominate or dictate what is going in the 'established world'

Absolutely. In fact tho I understand Japan's activity in western-led institutions such as the EU , NATO, it is done so not in consideration of Japan's state interests in Europe, because that's just not the case. it is dome so because to provide protection for Japan's immense and vast merchant marine fleet , which traverses the whole world around.

Tho I believe Japanese state interests should learn to collaborate with individual western states such as France, UK, Germany to better communication lines, and to learn from their standard operating procedures in regards to water clearance measures, anti-terrorism strategies et al -- so as to increase Japanese overall capacity in the global theater. I believe that Japan is slowly moving away from supra-nation specific organizational cooperation to more individual-nation specific rapproachment processes in the security field and logistics , this way to reduce and minimize instances of security vagaries. We see this now in the current development of Japanese-Germany naval cooperation , Japanese-British military strategic cooperation processes, Japanese-French anti-terrorism training processes, and now to an extent even Russo-Japanese naval / maritime cooperative training processes. What we see here, is a paradigm shift, actually. Japan is slowly moving towards Japanese-specific national defense and sovereignty mechanisms rather than solely relying on the United States, which clearly does not have the capacity nor the national mandate to protect the primacy of Japanese sovereign interests.

Anyways, i am even happy to note and to read that Japan and Korea even had conducted joint military training off our naval base in Djibouti (note the JMSDF actually also provided strategic resupply for Korean warships, and also enabled the Korean warship(s) to dock in Japan's naval and air base in Djibouti). So , as you see, tho it may not be represented in foreign (western) media, however, Japan's nation-specific sovereignty processes are developing maturely, progressively and positively. We Japanese patriots are proud to see this...development. As I said before ... this is true to East Asian Mind and Dialectic. Long Term Development. :)

@Pangu @TaiShang @Shotgunner51 @Arryn --- brothers, someday , i pray to see PLAN personnel with ROKN and JMSDF in such training and capacity building activities.

bsu9628.jpg

Korean and Japanese medical personnel from ROKS Chungmugong Yi Sun-shin and JDS Akizuki discuss the medical status of the patient before transfer to Djibouti.

dsc_7945-3.jpg

Korean and Japanese personnel load the patient onto JDS Akizuki’s helicopter for transfer to Djibouti.

bsu9633.jpg

The patient is loaded onto the Japanese helicopter onboard Korean ship ROKS Chungmugong Yi Sun-shin before transfer to Djibouti.

Anyways for those who want to read more into the issues, i have retrieved the following sources :
http://combinedmaritimeforces.com/2015/08/17/japan-and-korea-work-together-to-save-mariner/

http://thediplomat.com/2015/10/japan-south-korea-boost-their-african-presence/

@Slav Defence @waz @AUSTERLITZ @nair --- brothers, i would be happy to see, someday God Willing, that the navies of Japan, China, India, Pakistan, Korea -- cooperating to secure the Persian Gulf and beyond. The more local participation, the less reliance on Euro-specific, American-specific naval platforms.

:)

Back
Top Bottom