What's new

Time called on Palestinian "Narrative of Victimhood"

Solomon2

BANNED
Reaction score
Country
United States
Author of ‘Best Speech by an Israeli Diplomat Ever’ Calls Time on Palestinian ‘Narrative of Victimhood’ (INTERVIEW)
NOVEMBER 13, 2014 12:58 PM
Author: Ben Cohen

28-09-2014-00-28-03-300x167[1].jpg

George Deek speaking at an Oslo event hosted by pro-Israel group "Med Israel for fred." Photo: miff.no

I first encountered the name of George Deek at the end of September, when a reader sent me a link to an entry on a Norwegian blog headlined “The best speech an Israeli diplomat ever held.” Whether the speech deserved that ultimate praise is an open question, but it was certainly one of the more powerful personal accounts of the Israeli-Palestinian conflict that I’ve ever read. The fact that its author was a 30 year old Christian Arab citizen of Israel, a native of Jaffa, and the current number two at the Israeli Embassy in Oslo, with an enviable command of Arabic, Hebrew and English, only made the person of George Deek more intriguing.

This week, I conducted a long interview with Deek over the phone. He spoke rapidly and eloquently for over an hour, weaving his personal story into the wider fabric of the Middle East’s myriad ethnic, religious and political conflicts. Deek made the case that his own, sometimes frustrating, quest to succeed in a Jewish state offers a scintilla of hope to the other countries of the Middle East, where – as we are seeing once again in Iraq and Syria – sectarian and communal divides are much more stark and brutal. That he did so with a charm that almost compels you to agree with him is by the bye; the intellectual merits of his arguments warrant serious consideration, and perhaps indicate that Deek has a future ahead of him as a liberal Arab writer or politician.

Deek and I began our conversation with the subject of 1948, and what Palestinians call the “Nakba” – the Arabic word for “catastrophe” that is used to describe the creation of the State of Israel. In his September speech, Deek had remarked that “you don’t need to be an anti-Israeli to acknowledge the humanitarian disaster of the Palestinians in 1948, namely the Nakba;” what, I asked, did he mean by that?

“The Palestinians suffered a humanitarian disaster during the Nakba,” Deek said. “People were driven out of their homes because of intimidation, or because of the warnings of other leaders. It can’t be described as anything other than a terrible tragedy.”

There can be no debate, Deek stressed, over whether this tragedy befell the Arabs of Palestine. “Otherwise my family would not have been scattered all over the globe,” he said, “from Canada in the west, to Australia and the Gulf countries.” But, he continued, “the question is not what happened, by why it happened.”

Just as the Palestinians are themselves scattered, Deek posits, so is the responsibility for their plight. Fundamentally, he said, the events of 1948 were driven by the same Arab refusal to recognize the Jewish state that plagues the region today. Referring to the recent poll on anti-Semitism conducted by the Anti-Defamation League, Deek reflected with sadness on the fact that “80 to 90 percent on average in the Arab countries have anti-Semitic attitudes – they think the Jews control the media, and politics, and so on.” With that in mind, he wondered what “things might have been like if the Palestinians would have said to the Jews, ‘Welcome back. This is your home, but it’s also our home, so let’s find a way that we can live here together.’” As Deek acknowledges, that was not a message that Arab leaders, centrally the pro-Nazi Mufti of Jerusalem, Hajj Amin al-Husseini, were particularly keen to communicate. Throughout the Arab world, war was declared on both the Jewish State and the idea of the Jewish State.

Back in Jaffa, the Deek household was not enamored of either of these goals; neither his mother nor his father’s families were especially political, Deek said. But like many other Palestinians, the outbreak of war meant displacement, and the Deek family, bullied into leaving by Arab emissaries who insisted that they would return once military victory had been secured over the Zionist forces, found itself in a refugee camp in Lebanon.

“For my family, the significant part of the story was what happened after the war,” Deek said. He explained that his grandfather, also named George, had worked for Rotenberg electricity company in Jaffa, where he had made many Jewish friends. Stranded in Lebanon, where his new wife Vera gave birth to a son, George Sr. was determined to return to his home in Jaffa. He did just that, thanks to “an act of grace” from his friends in the electricity company, who also got him his old job back.

“To go back, not to do what their brothers and sisters did, but to take a chance, to live in Jaffa among those whom they were told were their enemies, and make them friends, to not be defined as victims, that was the decision my grandparents made,” said Deek.

If Deek’s grandparents were one source of inspiration for his rejection of an identity defined by victimhood, the other was his beloved music teacher, a Holocaust survivor named Avraham Nov. “He was the ultimate victim. His whole family was murdered by the Nazis,” Deek said. “But he refused to be defined as a victim, because he knew that if he did that, he would be stuck in the past.”

“The narrative of victimhood is a narrative that paralyzes us and corrupts us morally,” Deek continued. “When a group defines itself as a victim, it no longer takes responsibility for what it does, even terrible crimes.” There is, Deek said, no incentive for any nation defined by victimhood, as the Palestinians are, “to recover. When you see yourself as a victim and you are treated like a victim, you become a prisoner of your own past.”

I put it to Deek that a detractor would counter that his grandfather, in returning to Jaffa, had an option that was denied to 750,000-odd other Palestinians, and that therefore casting off victimhood is something of a luxury.

“It’s true, I don’t think that other refugees had the same opportunity, even if they had wanted to go back,” he replied. “But that’s not the point. The point is that my grandfather went to a place where he could build a future, and this is the tragedy of the Arab world. The Arab world has treated the Palestinian refugees who stayed there shamefully. In Lebanon, Syria, the Gulf countries, they are denied citizenship, they do not have the basic human rights that others have, they are barred from leading professions, and this cruel discrimination prevents them from moving forward. So it’s not a question of where you are living. It’s question of us together, Arabs, Jews, the international community, putting pressure on those countries that are confining the Palestinians to that vicious reality.”

Deek voiced harsh criticism of UNWRA, the UN refugee agency tasked with serving Palestinian refugees (the overwhelming majority of them now descendants of the original 1948 generation,) for exactly the same reasons. “UNRWA is preventing the refugees from moving on,” he said.

Throughout our conversation, Deek emphasized his conviction that to be a member of a minority is “a blessing,” in that it creates an additional impetus to succeed in the wider society, as well as providing that society with a test of its own tolerance. On these counts, Deek said, the Arab world had failed.

“The acceptance of Israel as a Jewish state in the Middle East is inherently connected to our ability to accept Christians or Yezidis or Baha’i or anyone who is different,” Deek argued. Without its Christians, he observed, the Arab world would more precisely be described as the Muslim world. “We are the ones who make it Arab, by making it about something more than just Muslims. An Arab world that is not able to accept a Jewish state, an Arab world that cannot accept Christians within it, is a world without humanity.”

What, though, of the Arab citizens of Israel? If “assimilation” into Jewish society is impossible, Deek answered, and if “isolation” and separatism are undesirable, there is a third way nevertheless. For there is no inherent contradiction between preserving one’s Arab identity and fully participating in the life of the nation, Deek said, although he granted that effects of such an endeavor on individual psyches would certainly be unsettling.

Indeed, some of Deek’s experiences during his own journey through Israeli society starkly demonstrate the pettiness and prejudice from which minorities even in democratic societies are not immune. When he began job hunting after graduating with a law degree around a decade ago, he noticed that his Jewish friends, including those who’d achieved lower grades, were getting many more job interviews all the same. So Deek sent out his resume once again, this time with a Jewish name. Around 50 per cent of those firms that ignored him when he applied as an Arab, he told me, contacted him when he applied as a Jew.

“I faced discrimination as an Arab in Israel in the same way as an Algerian in France, or a Pakistani in Britain,” Deek said, placing the issue of prejudice in Israel in its appropriate context. Yet he didn’t choose the route of outing the law firms that wouldn’t consider an Arab applicant through some fiery exposure in the media. Instead, he said, he has found himself on a far more challenging path, which involves battling the prejudices of the majority on the one hand while declining the temptations of eternal victimhood on the other.

As we were about to end our conversation, Deek was anxious to tell me about the apartment building in Jaffa where he grew up, where the other residents were a Muslim family, a Christian family, an orthodox Jewish couple, and a Catholic priest. This, he said, was a metaphor for the kind of open society that Israel promises. “Israel is the only place in the Middle East where an Arab can say, ‘I live as an Arab in my homeland and in a liberal democracy with full rights,’” said Deek.

Expressing sentiments like these will inevitably put Deek in the vulnerable position of being demonized as a “collaborator” or dismissed as incoherent idealist. I somehow doubt, though, that Deek will lose his energy or his vision because of a few outside critics.

I suspect, in fact, that his response would be similar to the answer that the Zionist leader Vladimir Jabotinsky offered his adversaries: “Defame if you must! The dream is greater than its slanderers. It need not fear their calumny.”

‘Welcome back. This is your home, but it’s also our home, so let’s find a way that we can live here together.’”
Until and unless someone ever lived there...Welcome back isnt a greeting you give to people who were summoned to come occupy this piece of land we got on bargain from some selfish people...Lets also forget how they and their families have been on that land forever.....Sure you could live together, but not on THEIR properties which were bought illegally from Egypt as though it was Egypt's to give in the first place! Lands were taken from directly under their feet and you want to think of a welcome back?

What welcome back did the Israeli showed the Palestinians (who were chased out of their lands?)...

I stopped reading at this biased article...

How could I forget @Solomon2 can never find a balanced article...It would kill him to post one up!

Until and unless someone ever lived there...Welcome back isnt a greeting you give to people who were summoned to come occupy this piece of land we got on bargain from some selfish people...
Obscure.

Lets also forget how they and their families have been on that land forever.....Sure you could live together, but not on THEIR properties which were bought illegally from Egypt -
That's new. I presume you made it up just now as a lie of convenience - or else you'll prove me wrong by supplying references.

Solomon2 can never find a balanced article...It would kill him to post one up!
Readers' comments to this article are that the author is wayyy to pro-Arab. Go figure.

yea of course for one looking from an an obscure angle like you can only summon that word

That's new. I presume you made it up just now as a lie of convenience - or else you'll prove me wrong by supplying references.
As a result of the 1948 war and the armistice agreements Israel reached with Egypt and Jordan, Israel controlled 20.5 million dunums of the total land of Palestine, representing 78% of the land. The vast majority of these lands were owned by Palestinian residents who were evacuated from their villages or who fled their homes during the war.

The ethnic cleansing campaign started in the 1948 war where by the Jewish militias ethnicly cleansed 418 Palestinian villages, seized their properties and depopulated 11 Palestinian cities and took them for their own use. The 1948 war was not the only cycle of ethnic cleansing, between October 1948 to November 1949, the Israeli army evacuated the villages of al-Safsaf, Iqrit, Kufr Biram, Kufr 'Anan, Khasas, Jau'neh, Qayttiyeh, al-Ghabasiyya, al-Majdal, and al-Battat and later seized all of their properties. In 1951 the Israeli army evacuated 13 villages in the triangle area and seized their properties. In October 1956 the Israeli army forced the Palestinian Bedouin tribe al-Bakara to cross the border into Syria. In October 1959 some Bedouin tribes in the Negev desert were forced to cross the borders into Egypt and Jordan. The lands for all these villages and tribes were confiscated after their cleansing (Jiryis, 1973).

If Deek’s grandparents were one source of inspiration for his rejection of an identity defined by victimhood, the other was his beloved music teacher, a Holocaust survivor named Avraham Nov. “He was the ultimate victim. His whole family was murdered by the Nazis,” Deek said. “But he refused to be defined as a victim, because he knew that if he did that, he would be stuck in the past.”
So an Arab did this when will Jews learn to do the same?

“The narrative of victimhood is a narrative that paralyzes us and corrupts us morally,” Deek continued. “When a group defines itself as a victim, it no longer takes responsibility for what it does, even terrible crimes.” There is, Deek said, no incentive for any nation defined by victimhood, as the Palestinians are, “to recover. When you see yourself as a victim and you are treated like a victim, you become a prisoner of your own past.”
How is this not applicable to all the Zionists supporting that they are bombing Palestine coz Palestine beats them up with rocks? Victimhood enough?

When he began job hunting after graduating with a law degree around a decade ago, he noticed that his Jewish friends, including those who’d achieved lower grades, were getting many more job interviews all the same. So Deek sent out his resume once again, this time with a Jewish name. Around 50 per cent of those firms that ignored him when he applied as an Arab, he told me, contacted him when he applied as a Jew.
Racism 101 in Israel! :tup:

As a result of the 1948 war and the armistice agreements Israel reached with Egypt and Jordan, Israel controlled -
That's a far cry from claiming the Jews of Palestine bought their property from Egypt. Since you're so prone to distorting even the print references you quote readers are fully entitled to question your perception and judgment of reality in general.

That's a far cry from claiming the Jews of Palestine bought their property from Egypt. Since you're so prone to distorting even the print references you quote readers are fully entitled to question your perception and judgment of reality in general.
Nope this is just from a source that can be accepted...others are from blogs...Unlike you I dont fancy much blogs...

Actually the article is stating the Jews are not accepting it :whistle:
Palestine Has Always Rejected A Two-State Solution

After centuries of conflict and failed resolutions, the Palestinian people are now seeking ratification as a state at the United Nations. With the General Assembly in session, President Barack Obama once again voiced his opposition to this approach in front of the world’s most prominent leaders and promised to veto any resolution that created a state of Palestine without direct negotiations with Israel.

Vetoing any proposal for a state of Palestine would surely isolate the U.S. and Israel even further. However, this is not much of a concern considering that the U.S. has long been Israel’s sole, loyal ally. The U.S. should not feel threatened by international opposition, especially considering it is largely based on falsehoods and dangerous ideologies.

A Palestinian bid for statehood that forgoes negotiations with Israel is mainly justified by the claim that Israel has never been serious about supporting a Palestinian state. As PolicyMic columnist Denise DeGarmo writes, “For over 20 years, the Palestinians have participated in negotiations ... that promised a two-state solution. Rather than ending occupation, the Israelis have ignored their agreements with the Palestinians and continue to annex land ... This leads many to believe that Israel will never support a two-state solution.

The reality, however, is that the Palestinians have been offered statehood on three different occasions in the past century. In all three instances, Israel supported the plan while the Palestinians viciously opposed it and instead resorted to terrorism.

The first chance for a sovereign Arab state was in 1937, when the British set up the Peel Commission to investigate possible changes to the British Mandate. It was recommended that an independent Jewish state, in areas where Jews were a majority, would be created alongside an Arab state, in areas where Arabs were a majority. The Arab state would have been significantly larger than the Jewish state, and both people would have been given the fundamental right of self-determination. However, the Arabs rejected the plan, and continued their fight to, as the grand mufti of Jerusalem, Haj Amin al-Husseini, said, “drive the Jews into the sea.”

The second — and most widely recognized — chance came in 1947, when the UN decided to split the region of Palestine much like the Peel Commission set out to do. Again, the Arabs rejected the plan, and they instead chose to attack Israel the day after they declared independence.

The third chance came in 2000, at the Middle East Peace Summit moderated by President Bill Clinton. In internationally shocking fashion, Israel offered nearly everything the Arabs wanted, an independent state in the West Bank and Gaza, compensation and right of return for refugees, and control over much of Jerusalem. Almost inexplicably, the Palestinians rejected the proposal.

It is the Palestinians, not the Israelis, who have never supported a two-state solution. If it were not for their complete refusal to negotiate with the Israelis, there would now stand a sovereign state of Palestine significantly larger than what is being fought for today. The current bid at the UN is just one more example of the complete dismissal of any approach that involves the Palestinians' actually negotiating with Israel.

The Palestinians have proved they are impossible to negotiate with. Furthermore, it should be deemed criminal for the international community to support this kind of behavior.

Despite it all, most Israelis still support the two-state solution
Although the majority of Israelis support partition, almost a quarter are happy to sanction a binational state in which the Palestinians lack full rights, study shows.
By Nir Hasson | Jul. 7, 2014

The majority of Israelis continue to view the two-state solution as preferable for the long-term, provided the prime minister is behind the proposal. However, most Israelis don’t believe the prime minister when he says he intends to advance that solution. Almost a quarter of Israelis say that a binational solution in which the Palestinians will lack full rights – in short, an apartheid state – is preferable. And, according to another finding of a special survey conducted for Haaretz’s Israel Conference on Peace, 40 percent of Israelis have never visited a settlement in the territories.

The survey was conducted by the Dialog Institute, under the supervision of Prof. Camil Fuchs of Tel Aviv University. The sample of 504 respondents was weighted according to population groups, gender, age and voting in the last Knesset election. The survey was conducted June 9-11 (with a 4.4 percent margin of error).

Sixty percent of those asked responded affirmatively to the question, “If the prime minister reaches an agreement, whereby a Palestinian state will be established alongside Israel, would you support or not support that agreement?” Only 32 percent said they wouldn’t support such an agreement, while 7 percent said they didn’t know. This result indicates a backtracking in the Israeli public’s acceptance of a two-state solution.

In December 2012, two other polling firms conducted identical surveys, commissioned by the S. Daniel Abraham Center for International and Regional Studies at Tel Aviv University. Both polls asked a similar question concerning a peace agreement that would result in the country’s partition. At that time – just 18 months ago – 67 and 68 percent, respectively, of the respondents said they would support such an agreement.

Two additional reservations also arise from the latest Haaretz survey. The first is that the Israeli public is seemingly unfamiliar with the geopolitical situation. When the implications of partition and the specifics of an agreement were presented to the respondents – “The establishment of a Palestinian state within the 1967 boundaries with border modifications, most of the settlements to be annexed to Israel, Jerusalem to be divided and no return of refugees” – support for the two-state solution plummeted to 35 percent, with 58 percent replying in the negative. This time, the term “prime minister” was omitted as the individual who backs the agreement. The implication of this is that great responsibility falls on Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, as large segments of the public view his acceptance of an agreement involving partition as a precondition for their support.

The second, equally important, reservation is that the same public that says it will support a partition agreement if it’s supported by the prime minister doesn’t actually believe the prime minister’s stated intention to arrive at any such agreement. Thus, 54 percent replied in the negative and only 37 percent in the affirmative to the question, “Do you believe Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu when he says he wants to promote a peace agreement with two states for two nations?”

Another question examined what the public thinks the government should do, following the recent collapse of the peace talks and the establishment of a Palestinian unity government. (The survey was conducted a week before the kidnapping of three Yeshiva students in the West Bank.) Of the various options suggested – unilateral annexation of territories; a boycott of the Palestinians; make an effort to resume the negotiations; unilateral withdrawal from the territories; a freeze on settlement construction; or do nothing – only one gained a majority: Make an effort to return to the negotiating table. Sixty percent of those asked replied that they “agree” or “agree strongly” with this option.

The unilateral actions didn’t receive majority backing: Fifty-six percent object to a unilateral annexation of territories by Israel, compared to 37 percent who agree to this; 70 percent object to a unilateral withdrawal by Israel, compared to 25 percent who agree.

In the question that presented possible long-term solutions, partition of the country was the most popular, preferred by 28 percent of those polled. At the same time, two other possibilities were not far behind: “Continuation of the present situation” is favored by 25 percent; and an apartheid state model – “one state, in which the Palestinians will have limited rights,” as the question phrased it – is preferred by 23 percent of Israelis. Only 10 percent said they would opt for a state in which all citizens will have equal rights.

Overall, it would seem that the Israeli public is more apprehensive about granting equal rights to the Palestinians than about returning territories. Fifty-six percent said they are against granting the Palestinians full rights in the event of annexation.

Haaretz also wanted to discover which scenario the public finds most frightening: a binational (single) state, a boycott or a wave of violence. Though it’s difficult to point to a definitive result, it would appear that the most palpable threats are perceived as a binational state and a wave of violence: 50 and 51 percent (respectively) said they fear those scenarios to a large or very large degree. In contrast, 34 percent said they are afraid of an international boycott on Israel (while 62 percent said they aren’t afraid).

Israelis continue to be cool toward the settlement project. No fewer than 40 percent said they have never visited a settlement. Another 25 percent said they hadn’t visited a settlement in the past year. Conversely, 42 percent of Israelis say they have never met a Palestinian. Forty percent replied that the settlements are receiving resources that are “larger” or “significantly larger” than what Israel’s outlying towns receive; only 16 percent believe the settlements receive fewer resources than the outlying towns.

The question of what would be preferable – a peace agreement that would require the evacuation of settlements, or continuation of the settlements without an agreement – drew almost identical responses: 45 percent are in favor of an agreement and settlement evacuation; 43 percent are in favor of the current status quo with the settlements.

If the government reaches an agreement that obliges it to evacuate the settlements, only 12 percent think the evacuation will go smoothly; 57 percent that the evacuation will involve a major effort and lead to casualties; and 23 percent of the public believes the government will not succeed in evacuating settlements.

Palestine Has Always Rejected A Two-State Solution

After centuries of conflict and failed resolutions, the Palestinian people are now seeking ratification as a state at the United Nations. With the General Assembly in session, President Barack Obama once again voiced his opposition to this approach in front of the world’s most prominent leaders and promised to veto any resolution that created a state of Palestine without direct negotiations with Israel.

Vetoing any proposal for a state of Palestine would surely isolate the U.S. and Israel even further. However, this is not much of a concern considering that the U.S. has long been Israel’s sole, loyal ally. The U.S. should not feel threatened by international opposition, especially considering it is largely based on falsehoods and dangerous ideologies.

A Palestinian bid for statehood that forgoes negotiations with Israel is mainly justified by the claim that Israel has never been serious about supporting a Palestinian state. As PolicyMic columnist Denise DeGarmo writes, “For over 20 years, the Palestinians have participated in negotiations ... that promised a two-state solution. Rather than ending occupation, the Israelis have ignored their agreements with the Palestinians and continue to annex land ... This leads many to believe that Israel will never support a two-state solution.

The reality, however, is that the Palestinians have been offered statehood on three different occasions in the past century. In all three instances, Israel supported the plan while the Palestinians viciously opposed it and instead resorted to terrorism.

The first chance for a sovereign Arab state was in 1937, when the British set up the Peel Commission to investigate possible changes to the British Mandate. It was recommended that an independent Jewish state, in areas where Jews were a majority, would be created alongside an Arab state, in areas where Arabs were a majority. The Arab state would have been significantly larger than the Jewish state, and both people would have been given the fundamental right of self-determination. However, the Arabs rejected the plan, and continued their fight to, as the grand mufti of Jerusalem, Haj Amin al-Husseini, said, “drive the Jews into the sea.”

The second — and most widely recognized — chance came in 1947, when the UN decided to split the region of Palestine much like the Peel Commission set out to do. Again, the Arabs rejected the plan, and they instead chose to attack Israel the day after they declared independence.

The third chance came in 2000, at the Middle East Peace Summit moderated by President Bill Clinton. In internationally shocking fashion, Israel offered nearly everything the Arabs wanted, an independent state in the West Bank and Gaza, compensation and right of return for refugees, and control over much of Jerusalem. Almost inexplicably, the Palestinians rejected the proposal.

It is the Palestinians, not the Israelis, who have never supported a two-state solution. If it were not for their complete refusal to negotiate with the Israelis, there would now stand a sovereign state of Palestine significantly larger than what is being fought for today. The current bid at the UN is just one more example of the complete dismissal of any approach that involves the Palestinians' actually negotiating with Israel.

The Palestinians have proved they are impossible to negotiate with. Furthermore, it should be deemed criminal for the international community to support this kind of behavior.

Despite it all, most Israelis still support the two-state solution

Although the majority of Israelis support partition, almost a quarter are happy to sanction a binational state in which the Palestinians lack full rights, study shows.
By Nir Hasson | Jul. 7, 2014

The majority of Israelis continue to view the two-state solution as preferable for the long-term, provided the prime minister is behind the proposal. However, most Israelis don’t believe the prime minister when he says he intends to advance that solution. Almost a quarter of Israelis say that a binational solution in which the Palestinians will lack full rights – in short, an apartheid state – is preferable. And, according to another finding of a special survey conducted for Haaretz’s Israel Conference on Peace, 40 percent of Israelis have never visited a settlement in the territories.

The survey was conducted by the Dialog Institute, under the supervision of Prof. Camil Fuchs of Tel Aviv University. The sample of 504 respondents was weighted according to population groups, gender, age and voting in the last Knesset election. The survey was conducted June 9-11 (with a 4.4 percent margin of error).

Sixty percent of those asked responded affirmatively to the question, “If the prime minister reaches an agreement, whereby a Palestinian state will be established alongside Israel, would you support or not support that agreement?” Only 32 percent said they wouldn’t support such an agreement, while 7 percent said they didn’t know. This result indicates a backtracking in the Israeli public’s acceptance of a two-state solution.

In December 2012, two other polling firms conducted identical surveys, commissioned by the S. Daniel Abraham Center for International and Regional Studies at Tel Aviv University. Both polls asked a similar question concerning a peace agreement that would result in the country’s partition. At that time – just 18 months ago – 67 and 68 percent, respectively, of the respondents said they would support such an agreement.

Two additional reservations also arise from the latest Haaretz survey. The first is that the Israeli public is seemingly unfamiliar with the geopolitical situation. When the implications of partition and the specifics of an agreement were presented to the respondents – “The establishment of a Palestinian state within the 1967 boundaries with border modifications, most of the settlements to be annexed to Israel, Jerusalem to be divided and no return of refugees” – support for the two-state solution plummeted to 35 percent, with 58 percent replying in the negative. This time, the term “prime minister” was omitted as the individual who backs the agreement. The implication of this is that great responsibility falls on Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu, as large segments of the public view his acceptance of an agreement involving partition as a precondition for their support.

The second, equally important, reservation is that the same public that says it will support a partition agreement if it’s supported by the prime minister doesn’t actually believe the prime minister’s stated intention to arrive at any such agreement. Thus, 54 percent replied in the negative and only 37 percent in the affirmative to the question, “Do you believe Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu when he says he wants to promote a peace agreement with two states for two nations?”

Another question examined what the public thinks the government should do, following the recent collapse of the peace talks and the establishment of a Palestinian unity government. (The survey was conducted a week before the kidnapping of three Yeshiva students in the West Bank.) Of the various options suggested – unilateral annexation of territories; a boycott of the Palestinians; make an effort to resume the negotiations; unilateral withdrawal from the territories; a freeze on settlement construction; or do nothing – only one gained a majority: Make an effort to return to the negotiating table. Sixty percent of those asked replied that they “agree” or “agree strongly” with this option.

The unilateral actions didn’t receive majority backing: Fifty-six percent object to a unilateral annexation of territories by Israel, compared to 37 percent who agree to this; 70 percent object to a unilateral withdrawal by Israel, compared to 25 percent who agree.

In the question that presented possible long-term solutions, partition of the country was the most popular, preferred by 28 percent of those polled. At the same time, two other possibilities were not far behind: “Continuation of the present situation” is favored by 25 percent; and an apartheid state model – “one state, in which the Palestinians will have limited rights,” as the question phrased it – is preferred by 23 percent of Israelis. Only 10 percent said they would opt for a state in which all citizens will have equal rights.

Overall, it would seem that the Israeli public is more apprehensive about granting equal rights to the Palestinians than about returning territories. Fifty-six percent said they are against granting the Palestinians full rights in the event of annexation.

Haaretz also wanted to discover which scenario the public finds most frightening: a binational (single) state, a boycott or a wave of violence. Though it’s difficult to point to a definitive result, it would appear that the most palpable threats are perceived as a binational state and a wave of violence: 50 and 51 percent (respectively) said they fear those scenarios to a large or very large degree. In contrast, 34 percent said they are afraid of an international boycott on Israel (while 62 percent said they aren’t afraid).

Israelis continue to be cool toward the settlement project. No fewer than 40 percent said they have never visited a settlement. Another 25 percent said they hadn’t visited a settlement in the past year. Conversely, 42 percent of Israelis say they have never met a Palestinian. Forty percent replied that the settlements are receiving resources that are “larger” or “significantly larger” than what Israel’s outlying towns receive; only 16 percent believe the settlements receive fewer resources than the outlying towns.

The question of what would be preferable – a peace agreement that would require the evacuation of settlements, or continuation of the settlements without an agreement – drew almost identical responses: 45 percent are in favor of an agreement and settlement evacuation; 43 percent are in favor of the current status quo with the settlements.

If the government reaches an agreement that obliges it to evacuate the settlements, only 12 percent think the evacuation will go smoothly; 57 percent that the evacuation will involve a major effort and lead to casualties; and 23 percent of the public believes the government will not succeed in evacuating settlements.
I said the article is stating ...I dont care no more what articles state about Israel....USUALLY it is propaganda from both sides!

Back
Top Bottom