What's new

"Tibetans" in India, still the same or just Indians now?

Tibetans (young kids) are still pouring into India through the border but not in huge numbers.A lot of the Tibetans are Tibetan culturally as the majority of them were not born in India.

Well firstly we have given them some degree of autonomy (hence the name Tibet Autonomous Region)... and as "ethnic minorities" they already get far more rights than the majority Han Chinese by law.

Secondly, I do not mind the proposal of granting "more" autonomy.

But the thing is, you can't grant more autonomy to a region that is currently unstable, otherwise that would simply be rewarding bad behavior. In the future I am sure we can make more compromises, provided that stability in the region is improved and maintained.
Maybe if the Tibetians had taken the policy of middle way prior to 1959 instead of outright secession,I think the Chinese would have granted them more regional autonomy like they did to hongkong/macau?

culture is one thing, what about jobs, modern culture, and other things that shape a person.

The yare not confied that that space with no TV, are they. They talk they do business with Indians.

And even if we were to take that as true, does that mean they are still feudalism in nature?

My neighbour and his wife are Tibetans. He is an airline pilot making good money. His dog bit my dog a few days back. He seems quite happy here , so not sure if he wants to return to Tibet or not. That's all I can tell you.

They were born in India, they were raised in India, they have nothing to do with us.

The Dalai Lama has already accepted that Tibet is a part of China, they have nothing to struggle for anymore.

So why isn't the Indian Government giving them citizenship? It's a big political game that started in 1959, and they don't want to give up their political chips.

Your conclusion is incorrect. Tibetans can apply for Indian citizenship if they wish to be Indians they are free people in fact they can even vote.

thumb.aspx

here are a few links to refer to:
​Tibetans can seek Indian citizenship: Lobsang Sangay - The Times of India

The Tribune, Chandigarh, India - Main News

My neighbour and his wife are Tibetans. He is an airline pilot making good money. His dog bit my dog a few days back. He seems quite happy here , so not sure if he wants to return to Tibet or not. That's all I can tell you.

So bottom line free Tibet is dead, the people inside don't want to leave China other than a small minority, while the people outside, like your neighbor are less Tibetan than me.

@Genesis I've been to two Tibetan colonies in Karnataka, and it's apparent that the Tibetans living in such colonies still retain much of their culture. They still speak a Tibetic language and write in Tibetan script. If they were to be repatriated today back to Tibet, they'd have few problems blending in with the people there.

Bylakuppe - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Mundgod - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My point is that the Tibetans in Tibet are not the same anymore, they are more modern, they seen what a developed area would look like in Beijing, Shanghai and most of our coastal provinces. they seen what reforms can do. The Tibetans in India have seen none of that.

I'm glad that Indo-'Tibetans' are getting along well with their Indian family. Chinese respect those who demonstrate filial piety to their real family, but definitely abhor those who choose to dishonor their real family by pretending they belong to another non-existent family elsewhere. So hopefully, in this respect, they will improve their conduct and behave.

My point is that the Tibetans in Tibet are not the same anymore, they are more modern, they seen what a developed area would look like in Beijing, Shanghai and most of our coastal provinces. they seen what reforms can do. The Tibetans in India have seen none of that.

The identity of ethnicity and culture are more important parameters at assimilation and integration. A Frenchman will easily know how to use a smartphone, travel in a metro train and work at an Office in Lhasa, but will he ever become a Tibetan because of this?

Also, it's not like Tibetans haven't seen modernity and development, albeit to a lesser extent in comparison. They can learn that soon enough. But one cannot teach them their culture from scratch. With knowledge in culture and language and traditions, they can blend easily with the local populace, and then learn the trappings of modernity.

So Indian members, let's hear it, you guys probably have met a few, are Tibetans now more Indians or are they still Tibetans?

And if we are honest, Tibet today regardless of what you think is not the same, the new generation identifies with us, sure there are some ultra nationalists that are insane, but most do, and even their parents have seen the country change. Whether they are more Chinese is irrelevant, but they are certainly not the same Tibetans of old and certainly not Indian.

So second question, if these "Indian Tibetans" do return, would they even fit in? Are they not just Indians now?

who gave the monopoly to Chinese hans to say those words regarding Tibetans??

What Chinese Han has to do with a Tibetan??

Just because Chinese hans are migrating and oppressing the local populace do not mean new generation of Tibetans are with you.

Tibet is an autonomous region and if Chinese screw their policies there also then soon that will turn into an independence movement.

The identity of ethnicity and culture are more important parameters at assimilation and integration. A Frenchman will easily know how to use a smartphone, travel in a metro train and work at an Office in Lhasa, but will he ever become a Tibetan because of this?

Also, it's not like Tibetans haven't seen modernity and development, albeit to a lesser extent in comparison. They can learn that soon enough. But one cannot teach them their culture from scratch. With knowledge in culture and language and traditions, they can blend easily with the local populace, and then learn the trappings of modernity.

It's not just that, it's also culture, it's also method of governance, and even living habits, and hobbies.

For example, a new generation of Tibetans, grew up watching Chinese tv, reading Chinese articles, and joining Chinese communist party. Buying Chinese products, talking to Chinese people and all kinds of things that would shape a person.

What's more, they grew up learning Chinese, they don't speak Indian and don't speak Tibetan much. Yea I know there's not Indian the language, but you get my point.

One thing I really don't want to mention, cause it would sound racist, and get bad rep, but any Tibetan grew up in China would not have a great view on India and that includes Indian Tibetans. Let's not discuss the particulars, but it is what it is.

In my state, its almost impossible to tell whether they are tibetians or local because they look like us.

It's not just that, it's also culture, it's also method of governance, and even living habits, and hobbies.

For example, a new generation of Tibetans, grew up watching Chinese tv, reading Chinese articles, and joining Chinese communist party. Buying Chinese products, talking to Chinese people and all kinds of things that would shape a person.

What's more, they grew up learning Chinese, they don't speak Indian and don't speak Tibetan much. Yea I know there's not Indian the language, but you get my point.

One thing I really don't want to mention, cause it would sound racist, and get bad rep, but any Tibetan grew up in China would not have a great view on India and that includes Indian Tibetans. Let's not discuss the particulars, but it is what it is.

I don't think the Tibetans in Tibet have abandoned their languages and customs to the extent that you describe here. Sure, lack of Chinese bureaucracy and languages may be a hindrance to these folks, but they are expected. The very reason why these people became refugees in India in the first place was because they didn't want Chinese suzerainty over them, innit?

Back
Top Bottom