What's new

"Tibetans" in India, still the same or just Indians now?

Genesis

Reaction score
Country
China
So Indian members, let's hear it, you guys probably have met a few, are Tibetans now more Indians or are they still Tibetans?

And if we are honest, Tibet today regardless of what you think is not the same, the new generation identifies with us, sure there are some ultra nationalists that are insane, but most do, and even their parents have seen the country change. Whether they are more Chinese is irrelevant, but they are certainly not the same Tibetans of old and certainly not Indian.

So second question, if these "Indian Tibetans" do return, would they even fit in? Are they not just Indians now?

They have their own city - Dharamsala.
They maintain their own culture.

Does that answer your question?

They have their own city - Dharamsala.
They maintain their own culture.

Does that answer your question?

culture is one thing, what about jobs, modern culture, and other things that shape a person.

The yare not confied that that space with no TV, are they. They talk they do business with Indians.

And even if we were to take that as true, does that mean they are still feudalism in nature?

The head of the "Tibetan Government in Exile" (currently hosted by India) is a guy called Lobsang Sangay.

Now Lobsang Sangay was born in India, specifically in West Bengal, and he grew up in India. He has never been to Tibet in his entire life.

He has nothing to do with China or Tibet Autonomous Region, he has everything to do with India.

Why doesn't India just give him citizenship then? Well, for the same reason they are still hosting the "Tibetan Government in Exile", it's a political chip that India and the West like to hold against us.

So Indian members, let's hear it, you guys probably have met a few, are Tibetans now more Indians or are they still Tibetans?

And if we are honest, Tibet today regardless of what you think is not the same, the new generation identifies with us, sure there are some ultra nationalists that are insane, but most do, and even their parents have seen the country change. Whether they are more Chinese is irrelevant, but they are certainly not the same Tibetans of old and certainly not Indian.

So second question, if these "Indian Tibetans" do return, would they even fit in? Are they not just Indians now?

I have met some Tibetans and my sense is that after nearly 4 to 5 decades living and being raised in India, most of these Tibetans are very Indian. I remember having to spent some time in Zurich because of a missed flight and meeting some Indian Tibetans there. At first, I did not know who they were other than their outward appearance which suggested they were Tibetans till few of them spoke to me in perfect Urdu/Hindi. These young Tibetans were born and raised in India and spoke better Urdu than most Indians do.

I have met some Tibetans and my sense is that after nearly 4 to 5 decades living and being raised in India, most of these Tibetans are very Indian. I remember having to spent some time in Zurich because f a missed flight and meeting some Indian Tibetans. At first, I did not know who they were other than there outward appearance which suggested they were Tibetans till few of them spoke to me in perfect Urdu/Hindi. These young Tibetans were born and raised in India and spoke better Urdu than most Indians do.

They were born in India, they were raised in India, they have nothing to do with us.

The Dalai Lama has already accepted that Tibet is a part of China, they have nothing to struggle for anymore.

So why isn't the Indian Government giving them citizenship? It's a big political game that started in 1959, and they don't want to give up their political chips.

culture is one thing, what about jobs, modern culture, and other things that shape a person.

The yare not confied that that space with no TV, are they. They talk they do business with Indians.

And even if we were to take that as true, does that mean they are still feudalism in nature?
There is no feudalism in India.
But assume, even if there were feudalism in India, how would refugees become feudal lords?

They mostly live in Dharamsala, majority of the Tibetans. They do the jobs that are generated by urban living. That apart there are many who fan out to the rest of India and take up jobs after education just like the rest of the Indians do.

The head of the "Tibetan Government in Exile" (currently hosted by India) is a guy called Lobsang Sangay.

Now Lobsang Sangay was born in India, specifically in West Bengal, and he grew up in India. He has never been to Tibet in his entire life.

He has nothing to do with China or Tibet Autonomous Region, he has everything to do with India.

Why doesn't India just give him citizenship then? Well, for the same reason they are still hosting the "Tibetan Government in Exile", it's a political chip that India and the West like to hold against us.

@Pakistanisage

That's exactly what I thought. These free Tibetan people are no longer Tibetans, even the Lama isn't going to fit into the modern Tibet.

This free Tibet issue will die, in a decade or so.

They were born in India, they were raised in India, they have nothing to do with us.

The Dalai Lama has already accepted that Tibet is a part of China, they have nothing to struggle for anymore.

So why isn't the Indian Government giving them citizenship? It's a big political game that started in 1959.
They are free to take Indian citizenship if they want. GoI does not stop them.
And a large number have taken citizenship, those that do not, dont take citizenship for symbolic purpose of protest.

So why isn't the Indian Government giving them citizenship? It's a big political game that started in 1959, and they don't want to give up their political chips.

I think the Indian government wants a bargaining chip of controlling Tibet, if they ever go independent. What they fail to realize is fighters and bombs talk a lot louder than some Indian pretending to be Tibetans.

Tibetans till few of them spoke to me in perfect Urdu/Hindi. These young Tibetans were born and raised in India and spoke better Urdu than most Indians do.
Very surprised.
Most Tibetans I know dont speak Urdu at all.
Did you ask them how they knew perfect Urdu?

There is no feudalism in India.
But assume, even if there were feudalism in India, how would refugees become feudal lords?

They mostly live in Dharamsala, majority of the Tibetans. They do the jobs that are generated by urban living. That apart there are many who fan out to the rest of India and take up jobs after education just like the rest of the Indians do.

I didn't say India was feudal society, I meant since you say they have their own city and culture and their culture is feudalism, hence what I said.

I think the Indian government wants a bargaining chip of controlling Tibet, if they ever go independent. What they fail to realize is fighters and bombs talk a lot louder than some Indian pretending to be Tibetans.
That they might not get the free country they wanted is understandable. India also agree's that Tibet as a country is not an option.

But calling them 'pretend Tibetans' is going too far.

I didn't say India was feudal society, I meant since you say they have their own city and culture and their culture is feudalism, hence what I said.
I repeat my statement.
How would refugee's become feudal lords?

They are free to take Indian citizenship if they want. GoI does not stop them.
And a large number have taken citizenship, those that do not, dont take citizenship for symbolic purpose of protest.

What protest though?

The Dalai Lama himself already said he accepted Tibet as a part of China.

So now they are campaigning for "more autonomy". But that doesn't explain why these Tibetan-descendants in India haven't been given Indian citizenship? Why is this "Tibetan Government in Exile" (mind the name) keeping this state of non-citizenship, if not to undermine our political authority over TAR?

Indian govt is giving them citizenship , they don't want it . Because they get lot of money from "Save Tibet" bleeding heart white people . They ( older ones) try their best not to get assimilated but younger generation is assimilating .

Back
Top Bottom