What's new

Tibet border: US seeks India's nod to hunt for 94 lost in WWII

xataxsata

Reaction score
Tibet border: US seeks India's nod to hunt for 94 lost in WWII

New Delhi, April 17: An American delegation today explained to Indian officials the Barack Obama administration’s “strategic pivot” policy in the Asia-Pacific region that focuses on increasing US military presence to guard its interests, particularly in the South China Sea.

The US has also sought India’s permission to carry out searches in Arunachal Pradesh to look for the remains of 94 American airmen killed in action during World War II. Three earlier efforts had failed.

The Americans sought India’s help at the fourth India-US political and military dialogue in Delhi yesterday. Official sources said Delhi had an open mind on allowing the searches, as it was an “emotional issue”.

In January, a team from Tokyo had arrived in Guwahati to exhume the remains of 11 Japanese soldiers who were killed and buried in the Assam capital during World War II.

The India-US talks covered South Asia, Central Asia, West Asia and the Indian Ocean and Asia-Pacific regions. Both sides had officials from their defence establishment.

The political-military dialogue was followed by the India-US East Asia dialogue today in which Myanmar was discussed between joint secretary Gautam Bambawale and assistant secretary of state for East Asia Kurt Campbell.

The Americans elaborated on their policy of “strategic pivot to Asia” in the wake of Washington’s move to cut defence spending in the region.

On April 3, 200 US Marines had landed in Australia — the first batch of what would eventually constitute a 2,500-strong air-ground task force.

Both Delhi and Washington have interests in the South China Sea and are uncomfortable with Beijing’s aggressive posturing on issues related to the region. China has repeatedly warned India and now even Russia from investing in the South China Sea, which it says is a disputed territory.

America is concerned about the security of its trade through the Straits of Malacca and the South China Sea. Nearly 70,000 container ships pass through the Straits of Malacca every year, accounting for nearly $5 trillion worth of global economic activity. As much as half the world’s ships pass through the South China Sea, 23 per cent of them related to US trade.

Campbell also appreciated India’s advice on Myanmar. “Frankly, I must say, we have received very good advice … from India over the … last couple of years,” he said.

US seeks nod to hunt for 94 lost in WWII

Reality is something different that seems to be. Strategic dialog followed by this news. A small worry for China. Might be a hint to China over invitation to Japan and SK for space observatory. :tup:

US will search in Arunachal?? hmm nice move..

When china invites japan, Korea, Taiwan in chinese occupied Kashmir i.e. aksai chin this was to be happen. ;)

Now, Americans stay there for months or years in the name of searching in the most difficult climates and terrain while we can have a joint study of chinese and work for our defense. :whistle:

It also reflects in other words that USA recognizes Arunanchal Pradesh as a integral part of India not a disputed territory as claimed by china (Illegal occupant of Tibet). :angel:

^^^ dude the world recognizes it as internal part of India... but i dont think there will be any deployment cozz... Indian policies r against it... we dont allow foreign troops in our land specially for joint patrol... we r fully capable for it, no outside help needed...

On topic, I believe this would be a good thing, the soldiers lost their lives fighting in a war, and no matter whether they be allies or enemies, any professional army would age that lost soldiers do deserve a proper send off. Although I also do feel there be another ulterior motive.

In the past India has turned down US request to recover the lost recon equipment buried in avalance in the 50s, and I don't see our spineless govt. Giving a different outcome this time.

Nice move on behalf of USA govt and GOI. It will be honour to those long lost soldiers. Every soldiers deserves the respect irrespective of the flag for which he fight.
Let's keep it to that only. It will not be thing to score points on each other atleast not on this issue

When china invites japan, Korea, Taiwan in chinese occupied Kashmir i.e. aksai chin this was to be happen. ;)

Now, Americans stay there for months or years in the name of searching in the most difficult climates and terrain while we can have a joint study of chinese and work for our defense. :whistle:

It also reflects in other words that USA recognizes Arunanchal Pradesh as a integral part of India not a disputed territory as claimed by china (Illegal occupant of Tibet). :angel:
india is opening itself to USA bases because it is afraid of China. This is a major move:

First, this will destabilize india internally.

Secondly, China will not wait until USA entrenches itself in China's Southern Tibet, we will take preemptive action to eject the indian army.

Thirdly, the end result is China and USA fights a massive war in india just like we fought the Korean War in Korea. The indians deserve the suffering this will create because they brought it on their own heads.

:lol:

india is opening itself to USA bases because it is afraid of China. This is a major move:

Secondly, China will not wait until USA entrenches itself in China's Southern Tibet, we will take preemptive action to eject the indian army.

Thirdly, the end result is China and USA fights a massive war in india just like we fought the Korean War in Korea. The indians deserve the suffering this will create because they brought it on their own heads.

You are back :D good
Tell us MORE fairytells. We are listening. :D

But I personally will not like american soldiers stationed in India, may be for one or two months its ok.

They can conduct whatever study they want, but no permanent stations.

India should try to maintain its neutrality in international affairs.

Nice thinking but sorry to disappoint you we fight our own wars. :cheers:

But I personally will not like american soldiers stationed in India, may be for one or two months its ok.

Isn't there a saying that goes something like once a wh0re, always a wh0re. Anyways why is it of concern to us Indians if US wants to jointly go in for a search and recover mission. Are we that morally inhibited as to not afford a soldier a proper burial or cremation!?

Sometimes it's easy to invite a guess in but is hard to ask him to leave.

its been around 60 years and how can they get soldiers body??? Is it possible??

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom