What's new

Thunder is Rolling

Quick question. Can we put Lenardo's AESA on older F16s? I think integration will be a problem

No clear information as of yet, however, IHS Jan's reported that Block-III is under development in PAC Kamra since last year so I am thinking that did we decide which AESA is going to be part of JF-17 or may be, GCC countries would like to have Leonardo for them. Also, Leonardo showcased IRST with AESA as well and the OP/Article did not mention anything in this regard but still, things are not very clear w.r.t. such development.

Block-III is planned by 2018-19 and JF-17B is coming this year as reported may be 3 only as two for PAF and One for NAF who knows.

IMO, it is going to be the mix with Single Seat variant like how China did it with J-10 as 24+4(twin sets) for her regiments. JF-17B wouldn't be in separate squadrons but mixed with single seat variants.

@Khafee Sir, got it.... Stealth mod, low flying mostly but on the mark... I will be there. ;)

I think they going to follow the same production plan they did with Block-II. Starting production in mid-2018 with the official unveiling in first quarter of 2019

I understand each squadron will keep a few on strength, to train potential foreign pilots, refresher courses and above all with the extra gadgets and weapons load, the twin seater may be adopted for special operations.

Dual seaters are not put into separated squadrons. Just as PAF F-16 fleet which consist of Single and Dual variants in a single Squadron so that any new inductee in that particular squadron can get hands on experience on A-2-A, A-2-G SEAD DEAD proficiency quickly on the dual seater instead of relying on a single seater and facing such scenarios where in a training exercises, A USAF training pilot went into G-LOC an

http://aviationweek.com/air-combat-...onscious-f-16-pilot-declassified-usaf-footage

Or the rumors of 2nd JF-17 crash where Pilot lost conscious most probably due to G-LOC and plane crashed into sea

Thanks Sir.

IMO, it is going to be the mix with Single Seat variant like how China did it with J-10 as 24+4(twin sets) for her regiments. JF-17B wouldn't be in separate squadrons but mixed with single seat variants.

Thanks Sir g.

JF17B is likely to be a strike aircraft, in the deep strike penetration role.
We also need something for Army Support missions; the retirement of the Q/A-5 has left a hole.

K-8 attack version would do nicely, but they would need to up armour it.

JF-17B is coming this year as reported may be 3 only as two for PAF and One for NAF who knows.
Initially, three JF-17Bs will be built, two of which will equip the PAF. Having a two-seater in the testing and development programme, will speed up the integration of more weapons according to the CATIC

I think they going to follow the same production plan they did with Block-II. Starting production in mid-2018 with the official unveiling in first quarter of 2019

While looking at the trend, seems like the case here. Jane reported that a block-III is under development since one year in PAC Kamra so that means, work is going on and 2018 (last days) or possibly in start of 2019, we will be seeing official production confirmation and till then, PAC/PAF will be busy with deliveries as well as integration of JF-17B. Beside development of Block-III, we have JF-17B firstly to produce, test, integrate and deliveries of ordered birds for exports. Just saying.

Initially, three JF-17Bs will be built, two of which will equip the PAF. Having a two-seater in the testing and development programme, will speed up the integration of more weapons according to the CATIC

This is the strategy that not to waste the precious time and requirements are already high as per need of hour.

14 more JF-17 Block 2s will be produced in 2017. It doesn't say whether Block 3 will commence production in 2017 or 2018 only that a contract will be signed in 2017.

JF-17B - Which block does this belong to? 1, 2 or 3?

How many JF-17Bs are going to be produced? Are they on top of the 150?

Post a pic IF you do.
93b3d506536497149018fd6deb4e67ba.jpg

JF-17B first flight is expected by the end of second quarter? It was expected around March/April if I am not wrong. And we will be seeing Block-III right on time as reportedly contract signed this year. Let's hope for some good pictures and videos.

AESA with two options and yet there is no confirmation either it is going to be KLJ-7A or Leonardo. Seems like Leonardo presentation in Ideas 2016 was not meaningless but would be under consideration as well but only time will tell.

Hi,

Both the chinese and the Italians would be fighting for the AESA package for the JF17---. The Italians did not like it when they lost the last contract.

Quick question. Can we put Lenardo's AESA on older F16s? I think integration will be a problem

Hi,

It can be done---just need to get permission from the americans---.

This year is going to be massive for the JF-17/B Thunder fighter. The Sino-Pakistan aircraft, which is being built by the Pakistan Aeronautical Complex (PAC), should achieve more milestones in 2017.

The first flight of a dual-seat JF-17B, is expected to take place by the end of the second quarter. Air Marshal (AM) Arshad Malik, the PAC’s chairman, told asianmilitaryreview.com: “These are very exciting times for an aircraft which will help to shape the future of the Pakistan Air Force (PAF).” AM Malik continued that 2016 had been a very busy year, which saw the projected delivery of 16 aircraft to the PAF, being completed by the end of the year.

In 2017, PAC will build 14 single-seater JF-17s to complete the 50 aircraft ordered in JF-17 Block-2 status, the production of which commenced in December 2013: “We can increase our output even further to cope with future exports,” AM Malik added. On the export front, the Nigerian media recently announced that the Nigerian Air Force had ordered three JF-17s, but no further details are known.

Initially, three JF-17Bs will be built, two of which will equip the PAF. Having a two-seater in the testing and development programme, will speed up the integration of more weapons according to the CATIC (China National Aero-Technology Import and Export Corporation) which offers the aircraft in its portfolio. At the same time, it will allow potential customers to actually experience the aircraft, rather than rely on a simulator.

Meanwhile a contract for 50 JF-17 Block-3s is expected to be signed in the first half of this year, which will ensure production does not halt when all the JF-17 Block-2 aircraft are completed. The most advanced version of the Thunder will include new avionics, better electronic warfare systems, increased payload and more sophisticated weapons.

The Block-3 variant will be the ultimate JF-17 with an AESA (Active Electronically Scanned Array) X-band (8.5-10.68 gigahertz) radar replacing the older Nanjing Research Institute of Electronic Technologies’ (NRIET) KLJ-7 X-band fire control radar equipping legacy versions of the aircraft. Two possibilities exist for the JF-17 Block-3, including NRIET’s enhanced KLJ-7A while Leonardo is also believed to have approached the PAF with an undisclosed, proposed solution. There is a possibility, if such a requirement is there, that the legacy JF-17 Block-1/2 aircraft flown by the PAF could be upgraded to the Block-3 standard.

http://asianmilitaryreview.com/2017/02/rolling-thunder-jf-17/?utm_source=twitter

So from Leonardo we have four options

Captor E (Eurofighter is using and i think some downgrade version may be offer for JF17 because we are talking about 150 confirm and another 100+ orders) http://www.leonardocompany.com/en/-/captor-e-radar
Vixen 1000E (215kg) http://www.leonardocompany.com/en/-/vixen1000e
Vixen 500E (80kg) http://www.leonardocompany.com/en/-/vixen500e
Raven ES-05 (215kg) http://www.leonardocompany.com/en/-/raven-1

I still remember few years back they offer us V500E and we were interested in Raven ES-05

Last edited:
Hi,

Both the chinese and the Italians would be fighting for the AESA package for the JF17---. The Italians did not like it when they lost the last contract.

Salam Muhtaram,

Well that is encouraging and if Italian are really serious in this regard, I hope such competition is win win for both parties. We are going to have the desired gear and they have a platform and Money for the and above all as you said, a contract. However, the usual reservation w.r.t. possible tech evaluation or leak to Chinese, would be the most tricky part and if succeeded, I am seeing the gain of trust as well. Also, Leonardo showcased AESA in ideas 2016 along with IRST that seems like bonus yet Chinese option does not bring the same as built-in but could be optional which is not clear yet.

On the same time our Chinese Friends will also be pushing hard and such competition is beneficial and productive for us as well will be attracting more customers for JFT with all such capabilities.

Your analysis, opinion and views regarding these developments, would be helpful as well.

Back
Top Bottom