What's new

Thunder at 100 feet: Flying France's Rafale Superfighter

Long Live India - France Relations.

We thank you for providing us this Hi-Tech Equipment with TOT, We will not forget your help during our war in the past.

I know what Rafale's capabilities are , the question is that countries could still go for a few squadrons or small numbers of it ... Not everybody places an order for 126 which is to say - a really highly number ... I know of the American pressure , but seriously their defense hardware sales are so restricted , strings attached and watered down that again they are more of a liability than a capable platform ...

As already explained, cost (lower numbers = higher unit costs!) and political advantages plays a big role in such sales. You buy not only fighters when you buy US once, but in many cases also political support and protection (Singapore, S. Korea, Japan, Israel, Australia, UK, Canada...or even Pakistan in the past). So for many countries it is better to compromise on a technically less capable fighter, but at lower costs and with additional political or industial advantages.

The 'hitting' itself was done, quite frequently, by a remarkable new munition, the AASM, a rocket boosted air-to-ground precision guided weapon, called the SBU-38 'Hammer' by NATO. Using the Hammer, Rafale pilots were able to designate upto 6 independent targets and hit all of them simultaneously. All the pilot needed to do was to 'pickle' (depress the trigger) once for the release of all six bombs. An incredibly versatile weapon system, the Hammer, it was seen, even had a robust capability against moving targets, an unprecedented capability for a weapon of its class.
One of my main concerns is the huge unit cost as well as the precision associated with the AASM as compared with firing a single JDAM. Are there any ongoing negotiations with Sagem/MBDA from the Indian side to integrate them with say better precision guidance variants(lower CEP) ala Rafael Spice in case the SBU-64 proves too costly per unit for India ?

One of my main concerns is the huge unit cost as well as the precision associated with the AASM as compared with firing a single JDAM. Are there any ongoing negotiations with Sagem/MBDA from the Indian side to integrate them with say better precision guidance variants(lower CEP) ala Rafael Spice in case the SBU-64 proves too costly per unit for India ?

JDAM 7 to 13m CEP
SPICE 3 to 5m CEP
AASM 1 to 10m CEP

Precision is not an issue, especially since it was highly praised in this field during the Libyan conflict!

SPICE is under evaluation with AASM for the Mirage 2000 upgrade and the same combo could be integrated into Rafale as well. However, even if we take SPICE it doesn't meant that we don't buy AASM, because SPICE is in the 500 and 1000Kg class, while AASM in these class is not available yet. So we might be able to get a combo of both in different weight classes and for different purposes.

JDAM 7 to 13m CEP
SPICE 3 to 5m CEP
AASM 1 to 10m CEP
Any source for the same ? The Laser guided JDAM versions have CEP 1m or less, whereas the current AASM versions are Decametric.

Precision is not an issue, especially since it was highly praised in this field during the Libyan conflict!

SPICE is under evaluation with AASM for the Mirage 2000 upgrade and the same combo could be integrated into Rafale as well. However, even if we take SPICE it doesn't meant that we don't buy AASM, because SPICE is in the 500 and 1000Kg class, while AASM in these class is not available yet. So we might be able to get a combo of both in different weight classes and for different purposes.
I thought AASMs come in the 125/250/1000 kg classes and the SBU 38 (250 kg GPS guided) was operational. The rest if it is as you say, would be great for the indigenous Rafale version.

Any source for the same ? The Laser guided JDAM versions have CEP 1m or less, whereas the current AASM versions are Decametric.

I thought AASMs come in the 125/250/1000 kg classes and the SBU 38 (250 kg GPS guided) was operational. The rest if it is as you say, would be great for the indigenous Rafale version.

Check this site for a comparision:

Bombs & Guidance Kits

AASM is offered in 125/250/500/1000Kg classes with GPS, IR and Laser guidance kits. So far the 250 version with all 3 guidance kits are operational and used in Libya. The 125 version is developed and tested, but French forces didn't ordered it yet, they focus on the 1000Kg version, but that is not funded so far.

Hi Mr. Cat, Im from Vizag.

jf-17 is no thunder, A-10 is no warthhog, F-16 is no falcon, F-15 is no eagle, F-22 is no raptor,
F-35 is no lightning and theres absolutely nothing vigorous about the J-10 dragon either.
Arent you the same rat who was running from me last month ? :rofl::rofl::rofl::lol::haha:
Just like Tejas means light , but it didnt see light of induction :rofl:

He will fluently answer all questions,but? ask him who is his father
he'll fall silent,because i left China when he was just 2.
who will answer Indo-Turkey man ?

chinaman using indian flag is a new low ..
if you want you can request mods to check ... i wonder why oscar brother didnt delete your troll posts .

As far as i know Jf17 is the real thunder , not rafale . :woot: Again this deal is going to be delayed :rofl: By the time India gets these aircrafts , Indian enemies would be having more potent aircrafts to counter these .
yeah an aluminium jet with yaw axis FBW:rofl:
we are so scared........please get lost.:wave:

Back
Top Bottom