What's new

'This is Not The Free India I've Lived In': Another Writer Return Award

INDIAPOSITIVE

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
India
THRISSUR, KERALA: Joining an increasing number of writers and poets who have returned honours and given up positions in recent weeks, author Sara Joseph said today that she is returning the Sahitya Akademi Award that she got in 2003.

"There is a growing fear and lack of freedom under the present government," she said.

Condemning the murder of rationalist writer MM Kalburgi and the mob killing of a50-year-old man in Uttar Pradesh's Dadriallegedly over rumours that he had eaten beef, she said, "Writers are being killed, people are being killed, ghazal singers are not being allowed to perform - this is not the free India I have lived in."

"The Sahitya Akademi has remained silent over all of this, when it should have been the first to speak out. I am returning my award in protest," Ms Joseph said.

Joining her, another noted poet from Kerala K Satchidanandan, resigned from his official posts in Sahitya Akademi committees. He had earlier asked the Akademi to pass a resolution against them killing of Mr Kalburgi.

Ms Joseph is the latest to join protest by writers and poets who have resigned and turned down honours in recent weeks. Yesterday,novelist Shashi Deshpande offered her resignation from the Sahitya Akademi General Councildenouncing "growing intolerance" in the country. Urdu novelist Rehman Abbas also returned his 2011 Sahitya Akademi Award on the same day.

Earlier noted writers Nayantara Sahgalandpoet Ashok Vajpeyi had returnedtheir literary honours to protest what they termed as an "assault on right to freedom of both life and expression".

'This is Not The Free India I've Lived In': Another Writer Return Award

HHAAHA so after the mallu returned the award ..time for a bong to return his/her award.!!

Unfortunate for her, India is full of talent, Sahitya Academy can award any other brilliant author who is not anti-government and communal, and who only looks for the misery of his/her kind and not of the others... perhaps she should look at this news before blaming a whole community and a government who is ruling largest democratic country of the world...

12 injured as Muslim men attack Dalit basti

stupid biased bigots...

On dadri case. The man who was killed his son is in indian air force. Its a shame that RSS does not fight in muslim majority areas where actual cow slaughter happens, but rather in majority hindu areas where muslims are much in minority.

Not impressive at all.

If they don't, does it mean Hindutva is on rise in West Bengal? :undecided:
well Left is bit down in WB while still alive and killing ( the opponents) in god's (church) own country .. so the lethargy of bongs can be understood. Also they can not beat Begum Mamta in the game of being Muslim than prophet so the drama of returning the award for the shake of minorities wont bring much incentives !

On dadri case. The man who was killed his son is in indian air force. Its a shame that RSS does not fight in muslim majority areas where actual cow slaughter happens, but rather in majority hindu areas where muslims are much in minority.

Not impressive at all.

you want fight between Indians.....

anyhow i can predict how members will react to my post....

Those who talk against or diverse about views of RSS, BJP,Bakths = Sickulars, Vatican lovers, Anti Hindus, etc.... lolz everyone should accept RSS views... otherwise they will tagged as Sickular and so...

yawn ...who cares ?

according to these fools if you abuse hindu gods you are a liberal and if you return a award you would go down in history as a great thinker ...they say they are under attack by hindu extremists , well i wouldn't waste a bullet if i was one :coffee: , too bad kalburgi was killed they got an excuse to make the world remember that they exist.

Those who talk against or diverse about views of RSS, BJP,Bakths = Sickulars, Vatican lovers, Anti Hindus, etc.... lolz everyone should accept RSS views... otherwise they will tagged as Sickular and so...

Oh don't worry much about them, my math tells me that they are a tiny minority. They are just louder than everyone else (especially on the internet) which is usually the case with such people. The vast majority of the country is very tolerant.

I wonder how come pseudo liberal/secular are fanatically opposing a different point of view? Why are they so narrow minded?

OH ! the same Sarah Joseph madam who joined the Aam Aadmi Party in 2014 and contested the 2014 parliament elections from Thrissur. ok....

CQ8FC6DWcAAOQL5.png

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom