What's new

This German couple spent 9 weeks in Pakistan to prove that it is safe for visitors

bananarepublic

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
German-Couple-in-Pakistan.jpg

WRITTEN BY

Sajawal Rehman
November 3, 2016
4 minutes read
Wanderlust tales are fascinating, particularly when you leave everything behind to have a good look at what nature has to offer. A German couple, Elisabeth Hartmann and Christian Nieth set out on their expedition in a campervan in October 2015, leaving their luxury apartment and a lavish lifestyle, to explore the world. Having traversed 15 countries including Pakistan, the couple is in India currently.

4-1.jpg

Obsessed by the wanderlust, the couple has been on the road ever since they left Germany in their new home – 35-years old Volkswagen camper van, which they call Bulli. While they would have relished their experiences in different countries, Pakistan, which wasn’t in their list initially, managed to seek a special place in their hearts. The sudden change in plan was triggered by the lyrical portrayal of Pakistan by a Turkish hitchhiker they met in Turkey. Chris said:

He called it one of the most beautiful countries he had ever traveled through. This greatly piqued our interest and we decided to add Pakistan to the list.

The plan to hit Pakistan on the way reinforced further when they met the members of Motor Club of Pakistan who was making a round trip from Pakistan, traveling across Iran to Turkey and back. While the couple was having trouble in getting a visa when in Iran, Razi Nayyar, the President of Motor Club of Pakistan came to the help – he did all the paperwork for them.

The trouble they had for acquiring visa vanished in a jiffy when they crossed the Iran-Pakistan border – everything sprung to life all of a sudden, and the words with which Elizabeth reflects her thoughts are heart-warming. She asserted,

When crossing the border into Pakistan from Iran, there seemed to be a paradigm shift in almost every facet. Everything from black and gray turned to pink and green. Pakistan was more colorful. And not just that, the hospitality was overwhelming.

3-1.jpg

All the stereotypical image they had, of Pakistan, in their heads, perished abruptly experiencing the cultural diversity, considering the fact that they spent their time in Bahawalpur, Lahore, Karachi, Islamabad and the Northern Areas of Pakistan. Having spent a few weeks in the Northern Pakistan, they headed back to Lahore from where they crossed the border to explore India. After traveling through Balochistan they expressed that:

We’ve enjoyed the drive through Baluchistan and never felt insecure

2-1.jpg

They concluded their trip to Pakistan as:

We’ve enjoyed a wonderful 9 weeks in Pakistan: meeting great people, trying delicious food, discovering historical places and being amazed by the country’s natural beauty. To all the strangers who became friends and the countless helpful and friendly people we met along the way: we’re forever grateful for your hospitality and the unforgettable time we had. We’re off to India now and are looking forward to many new adventures which are yet to come… “To travel is to discover that everyone is wrong about other countries.”

Pakistan, despite being a paradoxical country, always has something to offer to the visitors, the strange connection the tourists develop with Pakistan is somewhat unique in so many ways. 9 weeks in Pakistan is a lot of time, considering the notorious image Pakistan has in the world. They have proved that Pakistan is a peace-loving country, and has no parallel when it comes to hospitality.

1-1.jpg

http://yumtoyikes.com/2016/11/03/german-couple-spent-9-weeks-pakistan-prove-safe/

@anant_s ,@Arsalan ,@WAJsal ,@unleashed ,@Levina ,@Taygibay ,

Pakistan is mashallah a beautiful country I visited Pakistan 3 time but only limited to big cities but now I want to visit Gilgit, Huna, Naran, Kaghan and Lake saifulmalook is in my wish list.

Don't worry with the increase in both domestic and international tourist it will be more easier for tourists to visit these areas

If I could meet this couple, I would offer them gifts, and let them stay at one of my places. We need to value such foreigners who defy the propaganda and go through the troubles to prove the propaganda wrong and show the beautiful face of Pakistan to the world.
Pakistan needs to do a lot of work to increase the tourism in Pakistan. In addition to the security, good infra structure and preservation of the nature have to be given higher priorities. Nice hotels and motels, roads and transport facilities and efficient and up-to-date tourist information in multiple languages at designed tourist centres, website and apps will really help increase the tourists..also important is that good internet / mobile phone coverage is provided in the remote areas so that the tourists do not feel lost and cut off from the world.

Last edited:
Pakistan is a beautiful country. If only our government focused on increasing tourism and not corruption......

Definitely, it is for sure that this security is more like a political ploy against Pakistan rather than real one as it seems to be. I am very much sure that the real common people are not terrorist that they will explode themselves as it is being potrayed.

One thing for sure what i observed about Pakistan in last decade about your country's messaging to outside world. Your politician and people really do not provide correct messaging and do not know the difference between communicating internally and externally. For example when NS was in US, why the heck even Pakistan people are protesting against him in a foreign country...Again, that does not mean, you should not protest, but you should keep your internal matter withing your nation itself...

On top of that, it is always presented outside world apart from the Punjab,Sindh rest of the area of Pakistan is not really under control of Gov. So in a nutshell, your Gov should start doing some soft messaging and PR stuff in front of regular public...I mean you can start with collaboration of your friendly nation like China, Arabs or Iranian people...Try to hold some international event in places and capital away from your main cities so that media will cover and present the true picture of Pakistan rather than just distorting it.

If I could meet this couple, I would offer them gifts, and let them stay at one of my places. We need to value such foreigners who defy the propaganda and go through the troubles to prove the propaganda wrong and show the beautiful face of Pakistan to the world.
Pakistan needs to a lot of work to do to increase the tourism in Pakistan. In addition to the security, good infra structure and preservation of the nature have to be given higher priorities. Nice hotels and motels, roads and transport facilities and efficient and up to date information in multiple languages at designed tourist centres and website and apps will really help increase the tourists..also important is that good internet / mobile phone coverage is provided in the remote areas so that the tourists do not feel lost and cut off from the world.

the main problem for tourism in Pakistan is security if this is provided infrastructure,hotels,motels,transport,publicity will come automatically. but right now the tourism industry is focused on domestic tourist it is growing each year with less risk of their numbers decreasing like the international tourists .

I'm sure Pakistan is nothing like what is projected in the media, likewise for India.
Ppl say places like Islamabad,Lahore, Faisalabad (your place @Arsalan ) etc are great places to visit.
Does it get too cold in Islamabad? I would like to nudge a few ppl I know there like.........keep guessing. :P

Will I get a visa??
Don't you dare say NO. Grrr @shimshali

@Kaniska I was talking about the infrastructure and development of our Northern Area. I visited Muzafarabad, AJK last year in April. Some of the roads were really dangerous and I have seen some videos of further up in the northern area. Since no proper roads are constructed, its very difficult for a family to go together.

I'm sure Pakistan is nothing like what is projected in the media, likewise for India.
Ppl say places like Islamabad,Lahore, Faisalabad (your place @Arsalan ) etc are great places to visit.
Does it get too cold in Islamabad? I would like to nudge a few ppl I know there like.........keep guessing. :P

Will I get a visa??
Don't you dare say NO. Grrr @shimshali
Very hard to get a visa. For indian.

I travelled for my architectural case study. During college years. Me and my american friends were spell bound with hospitality.

Islambad has colder weather And nice landscape.

Good luck apply it later you might get through.

I would want to visit Lahore and Islamabad, if only I could get a Visa. I am not a fan of Baluchistan area since it looks very deserted from the pictures. I prefer green areas.

Welcome to Pakistan

Pakistan had about 1 million tourists last year with almost no incidents happening to them. The figure of 1 million doesn't seem too large but it indeed is when you type it is 1,000,000 tourists. It is safe to travel to Pakistan but just avoid the tribal areas of course.

Back
Top Bottom