What's new

These numbers show why U.S. policy makers are misjudging popular support for China’s government

Being a city-state and being a city in a country is ultimately different. Almost all capital/economic centers in every country is richer than other cities in the same country, because they have a concentration of economic resources which other cities don't have. You can't deny that Shenzhen's prosperity is largely because of China, just like Manhattan's prosperity is largely because of the US. They wouldn't exist without the main body. Shenzhen/Shanghai rightly pays taxes to the central, because many of the taxes (like import tax) are country-level.

Singapore spends the most on defense every year, higher than education or healthcare. Our defense spending is even higher than Indonesia and every Singapore male spend 2 years of life in the military.

You may think it's useless because in your worldview only US, Russia and China are relevant globally. But the military's relevance for Singapore, I know it's still very important.

I do know that Mahathir threatened to cut off Singapore's water in the 1990s, and only shut up when LKY threatened to invade Malaysia if he dared to do that. Now he's back and is raising the water issue again, but you can be sure that he won't dare to cut off our water.

Read more at https://www.thestar.com.my/news/nat...t-want-military-alliances#RkAG4RT88pScHvsx.99
Everyone may have different opinions,but developing a small country is easier than doing so for a huge counntry like China is almost a common sense to most people around the world, let's not try to deny this simple fact.

For a continental size country with hundreds million dirt poor, uneducated population, China has done marvelous job in the past 70 years, and they achieved this feat while under all sorts of international embargoes and sanctions imposed on them since the day 1 of PRC's existence.

Those who try to belittle China's achievement by comparing it to some city-state or countries allied with western powers, are either dumb or play dumb. It's OK to hate China, but don't let your hatred takeover your sanity.

Everyone may have different opinions,but developing a small country is easier than doing so for a huge counntry like China is almost a common sense to most people around the world, let's not try to deny this simple fact.

I'm not comparing the whole of China to Singapore. I'm attacking your claim that

1) Shenzhen would be more prosperous if it's not part of China
2) Shanghai would be the richest country in the world if it were independent
3) Constant comparison with India, simply because of similar population size

I'm not comparing the whole of China to Singapore. I'm attacking your claim that

1) Shenzhen would be more prosperous if it's not part of China
2) Shanghai would be the richest country in the world if it were independent
3) Constant comparison with India, simply because of similar population size
My whole point of argument is developing a small country is easier than doing so for a huge counntry like China, it's almost a common sense worldwide.

My whole point of argument is developing a small country is easier than doing so for a huge counntry like China, it's almost a common sense worldwide.

You can always find comfort in doing better than India then.

China's economic miracle is a world consensus, few people like you may believe otherwise, but that's natural too.

Have I ever denied, or was it your perception? I would add that India, while not as impressive, is an economic miracle as well, because it pulled hundreds of millions of people out of poverty in the last decade. Are you guys dismissing India then?

As long as you also agree with this common sense, it's ok, I don't care about the details.

Really? What happened to your claim that Shanghai would be the richest country in the world if it were independent?

Really? What happened to your claim that Shanghai would be the richest country in the world if it were independent?
I said that can be everyone's guess, my guess can be different from yours, but still, it's not a happened fact so no body can say for sure.

I said that can be everyone's guess, my guess can be different from yours, but still, it's not a happened fact so no body can say for sure.

I see. I think if you want a better guess, you should narrow your geographical definition further and claim that Pudong would be the richest country if it were independent.

Oh wait no, Lujiazui would be an even better guess.

I see. I think if you want a better guess, you should narrow your geographical definition further and claim that Pudong would be the richest country if it were independent.

Oh wait no, Lujiazui would be an even better guess.
OK.

Back
Top Bottom