What's new

There’s a guy in India who is addicted to eating bricks

Edevelop

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
ad_131302043.jpg

Meet the Indian man hoping to find fame and fortune by showcasing his unusual appetite for eating bricks.

Pakkirappa Hunagundi suffers from a rare eating disorder and says he is addicted to eating only bricks, gravel and mud.

‘I only like mud and bricks, nothing else,’ he told Barcroft TV. ‘I will eat it because it is my habit. I need it every day. I can’t stop.

‘My mother asks me not to eat it, but I won’t stop. Even if you give me fried chicken, I want mud at any cost.’

The 30-year-old has been eating bricks since the age of ten. He now eats up to one brick a day and three kilos of mud and gravel to fulfill his craving.

It is believed he suffers from a condition known as Pica, the persistent eating of non-food items with no nutritional value.

ad_131302092.jpg

‘We find it extremely strange,’ said one local.

Mr Hunagundi has ignored pleas from friends and family to change his diet and now plans to travel across India to show off his brick-eating abilities.

He says he hasn’t suffered any ill-effects from his unusual diet.

Pakkirappa Hunagundi: Pica sufferer addicted to eating bricks | Metro News

Wtf? How is he still alive? Where he gets his daily calories from? Bricks and mud have calories?

From drinking blood to chewing ice the top 10 weirdest addictions

It might not seem anywhere near as dangerous as drink or drugs but your dinner could be just as addictive.

Common foods such as potatoes and white bread have been found to cause cravings and excess hunger.

They even stimulate the same parts of the brain that are linked to abuse and addiction.

Scientists at Boston Children’s Hospital say it’s all about the processed carbohydrates, which are absorbed quickly and cause a blood sugar rush followed by a comedown.

But this food fix sounds pretty run-of-the-mill compared to these extraordinary addictions…

Getty
Sausages-3169644.png

Sausages

SAUSAGES
Accountant David Harding spent nearly £2,000 trying to kick his sausage habit – without success.

The dad-of-three, of Greenwich, South East London, devours up to 13 bangers every day.

The bizarre habit cost him £700 a year and eventually drove him to seek counselling.

He said: “I genuinely cannot bear the thought of living without sausages.

“Drug addicts crave their medicine of choice, and it’s the same for me except that my drug is a banger.”

Diet-Coke-3169695.jpg

Diet Coke

DIET COKE
Mum-of-two Claire Ayton’s bubble burst when she realised her taste for fizzy drinks had developed into a full-blown addiction.

The teaching assistant drank four litres of Diet Coke every day for 10 years – but thought it was normal.

It wasn’t until 2011 that she realised her habit was excessive.

Claire, of Pailton, Warks, used hypnotherapy to tackle her addiction. Since then she hasn’t touched a single drop of pop.

Within months she shed 5lb, while her new healthier lifestyle has saved her £1,000 a year.

She said: “Now I just drink water with a chunk of orange.

“My head is clearer, not so fuzzy, and I have much more energy.”

Getty
Wigs-3169643.png

Wigs

WIGS
Last month television presenter Esther Rantzen admitted she had a hairy habit that she had hidden for years.

Because the star is, by her own admission, addicted to wigs.

And Esther is not alone, there are countless diaries of wig addicts and even a help group, Wig Addicts Anonymous.

Getty
Blood-drinking-3169642.png

Blood drinking

DRINKING BLOOD
Julia Caples admitted to drinking nearly two litres of human blood every month.

The 45-year-old mum-of-two, from Pennsylvania, US, has been drinking like a vampire from willing donors for the past 30 years.

And she’s not the only one with what she claims is a gory addiction.

A tattoo artist from California known only as Michelle takes her Bloody Marys literally – by mixing them with real blood.

The 29-year-old knocks back a litre of blood every day, drinking direct from her friend’s arm and topping up with pig plasma.

Michelle said: “I get cravings like someone craving a cigarette. I drink it while reading, relaxing or painting. It’s like having a hot toddy.”

Getty
Funeral-3169703.png

Funeral

FUNERALS
When it comes to funerals, Brazilian Luis Squarisi is the life and soul of his home town of Batatais. The 42-year-old’s bizarre taste for the macabre has seen him attend every funeral in the town for the past 20 years and he has even quit his job to feed his habit.

He said: “The first thing I do every morning is turn on the radio to find out if anyone has died. If I don’t hear anything I call the hospitals.”

A local funeral director added: “We don’t want him to go to therapy, everyone expects to see him.”

Getty
Sun-tanning-3169641.png

Sun tanning

TANNING
A spot of sunbathing is a popular holiday pastime, but for some it really gets under their skin.

Self-proclaimed “tanorexic” Trisha Paytas has spent £30,000 keeping her skin brown.

The 24-year-old, of New Jersey, US, admitted she used sunbeds every day – sometimes twice – and got her first tanning session as a 14th birthday present.

The University of Texas found frequent tanners experience an addictive “reward and reinforcement” reaction in the brain.

Getty
Coffee-3169640.png

Coffee

COFFEE ENEMAS
Many of us need a caffeine kick to make it through the day, but Trina and Mike Elliot take it a step further and give themselves coffee enemas.

They heat the coffee on the stove before inserting it using a Vaseline-coated hose. It means the caffeine is absorbed into the bloodstream much more quickly than drinking it.

Trina gets her freaky fix up to four times a day.

Getty
Loud-Music-3169639.png

Loud Music

LOUD MUSIC
It might sound far-fetched, but experts believe some listeners really do develop a decibel dependency.

And you are just as likely to be addicted to Mozart as Metallica.

In 1998 researchers at Northeastern University in Boston found music had a potent ability to cause mood changes, cravings and even arousal.

And they found the more the listener loved the song, the louder they tended to play it.

The habit, which has been fuelled by the advent of personal portable stereos and MP3 players, can cause hearing loss.

Genuine addicts may even suffer withdrawal symptoms and depression when they dial down the volume.

Getty
Woman-chewing-ice-3169638.png

Woman chewing ice

ICE CHEWING
The practice of compulsively chewing and consuming excessive amounts of ice is called pagophagia.

It is a form of pica, a condition where people crave and eat non-food items that have no nutritional value.

About 2% of US men aged 18 and older and 16% of women aged 16 to 19 have it, the US Centers for Disease Control and Prevention revealed.

Getty
The-Internet-3169637.png

The Internet

THE WEB
One of the world’s first clinics to treat patients who are addicted to the web, reSTART, has opened its doors in the US.

It has centres in Fall City, Washington, and Seattle – just a short drive from Microsoft’s HQ.

Several patients have even been caught trying to smuggle in smartphones.

Researchers at the University of Kentucky believe up to 38% of us are addicted to the internet.

Many of us stay up late into the night sending emails or trawling the web, and some even get anxious when we can’t log on.

This addiction can have a devastating impact on people’s lives, reducing attention span and causing sleep or eating disorders.

And in recent years there have been a number of deaths as a result of an extreme addiction to computer games.

^^^ it takes some craving to get hooked on diet cola....reg cola..i can relate :P....but diet coke?

Top 10 Bizarre Eating Habits
10: Anorexia

Anorexia is self-starvation and is often associated with other bizarre habits such as drinking orange juice laced with cotton wool in order to give a false sense of satiety. This is a serious eating disorder that causes many deaths every year around the world.

9. Xylophagia

Xylophagia is a condition involving the consumption of wood. It is one form of the eating disorder known as pica. People who suffer from this eating disorder usually consume things like paper, pencils, tree bark or other items made of wood. Young children may exhibit xylophagy, but it is not normally associated with psychological issues; it is typical of the standard oral fixation of infants. [Wikipedia]

8. Trichophagia

Trichophagia is the compulsive eating of hair. Most often, long hair is masticated while still attached to the head and then swallowed. The hair eventually collects in the gastrointestinal tract causing symptoms such as indigestion and stomach pain. A purgative can be given to induce the trichobezoar (hairball) to come out. On November 24, 2007, it was reported that surgeons removed a 4.5kg hairball from the stomach of a 18 year-old teen in Chicago, US who was suffering from a psychological condition which caused her to ingest her own hair. [Wikipedia]

7. Hyalophagia

Hyalophagia is the eating of glass. Primarily noted as a pathological disorder, it is also considered a form of pica. Hyalophagia is highly dangerous to humans as the consumption of glass has the possiblity to cut open the stomach, intestines, and throat as it passes through the system. [Wikipedia]

6. Urophagia

Urophagia is the consumption of urine – either your own or others. Urophagia is generally considered harmless, as the urine of healthy individuals is sterile. However, a small risk exists if there is a disease present, or bacterial infection of the urethra. There may also be secondary effects, such as skin rashes in individuals sensitive to urine.

5 geophagy

Geophagy is a practice of eating earthy substances such as clay, and chalk, often thought to augment a mineral-deficient diet. It is closely related to pica which is an abnormal craving or appetite for nonfood substances. The many possible health benefits of geophagy remain under study and are much debated. Many scientists believe that it is only harmful, while others argue that there may be adaptive benefits to the practice, since humans and animal alike have engaged in it for thousands of years. Like coprophagia, it may be dangerous because parasite eggs can be passed in animal feces.

4. Anthropophagy

Not to be confused with the totally different “anthropology”. This is also better known as cannibalism. Among humans it has been practiced by various groups in the past in Europe, the Amazon Basin, usually in rituals connected to tribal warfare. Fiji was once known as the ‘Cannibal Isles’. The Chaco Canyon ruins of the Anasazi culture have been interpreted by some archaeologists as containing evidence of ritual cannibalism.

3. Autosarcophagy

This is the disorder of self-cannibalism. It is categorized as pica (disorders relating to consumption of things that should not be consumed). Some people will engage in self-cannibalism as an extreme form of body modification, for example eating their own skin. Others will drink their own blood, a practice called autovampirism. On January 13, 2007, Danish artist Marco Evaristti hosted a dinner party for his most intimate friends. The main meal was agnolotti pasta, on which was topped a meatball made with the artist’s own fat, removed earlier in the year in a liposuction operation. Bernd Jürgen Armando Brandes had hoped to engage in self-cannibalism before being cannibalized himself in the infamous recent German trial of his murderer, Armin Meiwes. This is an exact quote from Bernd taken from usenet in which he offered himself for consumption:

i,m a male who really love’s the thought of being on the dinner table,
my body is yours to cook anyway you want, i am for real my flesh is
yours. fry me,broil me barbacue me i don,t care just as long as you
enjoy your meal, i want to be your meal, its my calling an i’m ready.

2. Coprophagia

Coprophagia is the practice of the consumption of feces (poo); it is extremely uncommon in humans. It is generally thought to be the result of the paraphilia known as coprophilia, although it is only diagnosable in extreme cases where it disturbs one’s functioning. Consuming other people’s feces carries the risk of contracting diseases spread through fecal matter, such as hepatitis. Hepatitis A, Hepatitis E, pneumonia, and influenza. Vaccinations are generally recommended for those who engage in this practice.

1. Necrophagia

Necrophagia is the act of a human eating dead human flesh. This is not particularly common but is habitual in those who practice it. There is (believe it or not) a level above this, in which the habit pertains to partly decomposed human flesh.

COngress and allies are shitting bricks !! thats for sure :)

Well if this was transferable, there wouldnt be people dying of hunger, right?! :unsure:

That guy is only age 30? WTF!
Talk about aging badly. At least he has good teeth to chew through all those bricks.
I cant stand the sensation of biting into egg shells or tinfoil. How does he stand chewing bricks?

Well if this was transferable, there wouldnt be people dying of hunger, right?! :unsure:

He has to eat to get his calories. Gingernut biscuits? Beef bones? Hard tack? Triple dried jerky?

Back
Top Bottom