What's new

There are more Indian migrants living in Pakistan than the United States

That's not believable

Not sure which migrants article is talking about but the folks you are talking about are lot more than 1.97 million and are not considered migrants.

Here is the pew report mentioned in OP http://www.pewresearch.org/fact-tan...p-source-and-destination-for-worlds-migrants/

Uh look at the population pyramid of Pakistan. We are talking about direct migrants that still survive from partition. Not the full descendant community (most born in Pakistan since).

From your very own link:

The overwhelming majority of India’s immigrants are from neighboring countries such as Bangladesh (3.2 million), Pakistan (1.1 million), Nepal (540,000) and Sri Lanka (160,000).

Those folk would also be from partition era.

No. Before 14 Aug 47 everyone was born in "India". If you moved because of partition you are not counted as a migrant even if you moved years later. If you were born after '47 but moved with your parents as a under 21 male or unmarried female, you are a citizen upon moving.

This is for Indians who moved to Pakistan outside these categories.

I would assume that these are people who were born in India, so by now they would be in their late seventies and eighties, atleast, if the migrated as children. Their children would not be considered migrants having been born in Pak.

So I guess havi is safe from arrest :)
Hi,there MQM leader Altaf Hussain is born in Pakistan still they consider them muhajir and was not selected in pakistani army considered as INDIAN,so i doubt about your logic which will not work here.

No. Before 14 Aug 47 everyone was born in "India". If you moved because of partition you are not counted as a migrant even if you moved years later. If you were born after '47 but moved with your parents as a under 21 male or unmarried female, you are a citizen upon moving.

This is for Indians who moved to Pakistan outside these categories.

That is not how the source classifies it. Read the first paragraph:

India has a long history of migration. More than a century ago, large numbers of Indian migrants – many of them involuntary ones – moved to Africa, the Caribbean and within the Indian subcontinent itself. Some of the top destinations of Indian migrants in more recent decades include Persian Gulf countries, North America and Europe. Here are five facts about India and migration.

Hi,there MQM leader Altaf Hussain is born in Pakistan still they consider them muhajir and was not selected in pakistani army considered as INDIAN,so i doubt about your logic which will not work here.
I don't understand what you're saying.

Are you Pakistani?

What do you mean muhajir cannot join the army? Musharraf was born in Delhi and joined the army. There's no such rule.

LOL... Who do you think Mirza Aslam Baig and Pervaiz Musharraf were? And they reached the top position in the army and Musharraf would have joined around the same time when he was supposedly rejected. Looking at his mentality I am quite happy that he was rejected.

these figures are from past 25 years ...

It has nothing to do with 1947 time migration

You do realise these are older folks that moved during partition?

Would you want to arrest @haviZsultan and send him back?
He will be too happy to be deported. Havizsultan ka jism bhale pakistan me ho uska dil Lucknow me hai.

LOL... Who do you think Mirza Aslam Baig and Pervaiz Musharraf were? And they reached the top position in the army and Musharraf would have joined around the same time when he was supposedly rejected. Looking at his mentality I am quite happy that he was rejected.
hmmm... imagine Altaf Hussain as COAS of Pakistan.. ;):):D

It clearly says India who migrated to Pakistan . after 70s anyone who moved to Pak sud be consider illeagle. i have met a Tamil man who lived in Karachi for 2 months before he moved to india but its in 80s. it was so easy for indian to come in Pakistan on their way from arab to india a short stay was enough to skip into Karachi.
There are illeagle indians nepalies bangalies even burmies and we all know about afghanies.
state sud do somthing about this its a very serious matter and if we catch all these illeagles i bet we will be able to clean sleepers cell.

There is at times sentiment against us. Mostly it is caused by the divisive policies of the MQM. If MQM had not used violence and terror in Karachi a lot of people would welcome us migrants. MQM has caused more damage to the muhajir cause than any other organization combined. Though we can blame Ayub Khan for closing the border before all of us had finished migrating causing my nana and many other relatives to be trapped in Lucknow but supporting Pakistan fully.

Anyway it is possible to migrate even now and gain Pakistani citizenship. I have relatives who migrated in early 2000's though the security situation has prevented more to come. My mother too was a late migrant. It is hard for her to go back to Lucknow to visit relatives/sisters there. But it proves that there is indeed a trickle of mostly muslim migrants coming to the current boundaries of Pakistan.

It clearly says India who migrated to Pakistan . after 70s anyone who moved to Pak sud be consider illeagle. i have met a Tamil man who lived in Karachi for 2 months before he moved to india but its in 80s. it was so easy for indian to come in Pakistan on their way from arab to india a short stay was enough to skip into Karachi.
There are illeagle indians nepalies bangalies even burmies and we all know about afghanies.
state sud do somthing about this its a very serious matter and if we catch all these illeagles i bet we will be able to clean sleepers cell.
I don't know why the sentiment is so against us. The muslim migrants from India are rich and strengthen the economy. We also play a role in Pakistanizing muslims trapped in Lucknow or other parts and seeing our perspective. If these links are properly used there can be a muslim rebellion in Indian occupied parts supporting the Pakistan army hand in hand.

There is at times sentiment against us. Mostly it is caused by the divisive policies of the MQM. If MQM had not used violence and terror in Karachi a lot of people would welcome us migrants. MQM has caused more damage to the muhajir cause than any other organization combined. Though we can blame Ayub Khan for closing the border before all of us had finished migrating causing my nana and many other relatives to be trapped in Lucknow but supporting Pakistan fully.

Anyway it is possible to migrate even now and gain Pakistani citizenship. I have relatives who migrated in early 2000's though the security situation has prevented more to come. My mother too was a late migrant. It is hard for her to go back to Lucknow to visit relatives/sisters there. But it proves that there is indeed a trickle of mostly muslim migrants coming to the current boundaries of Pakistan.

I don't know why the sentiment is so against us. The muslim migrants from India are rich and strengthen the economy. We also play a role in Pakistanizing muslims trapped in Lucknow or other parts and seeing our perspective. If these links are properly used there can be a muslim rebellion in Indian occupied parts supporting the Pakistan army hand in hand.

I agree, I also have relatives in extended family who recently bought in two guys from India and settled them in Karachi. I don't understand this PEW report though, not sure what they are counting as "Indian" migrants, economic? or Indian Muslims due to political and religious reasons? This report seems to be purposely vague.

o bhai ziyada emotional nah ho.. yahan baat 1947 kay india say anay walon ki nahi ho rahi. its for those who took 20 years to think weather to move to Pak or not. And by the way there are not only urdu speaking among them there are bangali south indian burmese. I bet you dont really care about rest of them specially pushtoon there are many afghanies who moved in Pak long ago.
Pak cudnt exist if biharies gujraties punjabies marathies and rest of the Hindustani werent struggle its all cuz of every muslim who lived in India. Technically its a country belongs to every muslims who lives on this planet. but is it possible with the leadership we have now.
we are just talking about illeagel immigrants. They sud be kicked out to of Pak. simple.

I agree, I also have relatives in extended family who recently bought in two guys from India and settled them in Karachi. I don't understand this PEW report though, not sure what they are counting as "Indian" migrants, economic? or Indian Muslims due to political and religious reasons? This report seems to be purposely vague.

Its simply an estimate of the residents living in a current political entity that were born in another current political entity's borders.

Therefore partition dominates the migration story between India and Pakistan....even with the passage of 70 years now (many people from that era still live on, the total 70+ aged population in Pakistan for example is approx 5 - 6 million people....so about 2 million of them having been born in what constitutes India today is not far fetched).

If you consider some also migrated past 1947 up to 1965 (when the borders were firmly sealed permanently)...its not surprising we have a number of 2 million on Pak side and 1 million on Indian side of people who were born in the "other side".

These are also estimates by pew, no one has done a census or at least a large scale survey on this topic I think.

Last edited:
Its simply an estimate of the residents living in a current political entity that were born in another current political entity's borders.

Therefore partition dominates the migration story between India and Pakistan....even with the lapse of 70 years now (many people from that era still live on, the total 70+ aged population in Pakistan for example is approx 5 - 6 million people....so about 2 million of them having been born in what constitutes India today is not far fetched).

Are you saying the people who migrated during partition in 1947 haven't taken Pakistani citizenship? How can they be Indian? I have relatives who migrated too, they don't consider themselves Indian and all have Pakistani citizenship.

I still think this is referring to the recent ones like the two cases in my extended family. Otherwise it doesn't make any sense to count the 1947~ population as "Indian".

Back
Top Bottom