What's new

The Wehrmacht In Pictures: A Look At One of History's Legendary Fighting Force

@Desert Fox Thanks for sharing these amazing pictures and videos with us Sir, past glory has been revived.
No problem and thank you too for your contribution to it. And thanks to the other members who contributed as well @DesertFox97 @Psychic @Nilgiri and the others i might have missed.

Keep posting more pics on this thread, keep it going bro's!

That was wonderful song thanks.

I'm sure you've heard it....but I'll post it here anyways:

Song tune is still used by French Foreign Legion to this day ;) in their kepi blanc song.
The French foreign legion borrowed a lot from the Wehrmacht and even Waffen SS. From what i read, though haven't really looked into it, many German Waffen SS POW's under French custody were permitted to serve in the French foreign legion and took part in the French war against the Vietnamese uprising of the 50's and 60's.

many German Waffen SS POW's under French custody were permitted to serve in the French foreign legion and took part in the French war against the Vietnamese uprising of the 50's and 60's

Yes this is true. French Legion has always been of the "clean slate" attitude...i.e we don't care where you come from or what your background is....we only care about who you are and what you can do and whether you are up to the mark etc.

So post WW2 with the outright hostility german veterans were getting from their own countrymen and the total dismantling of the German military (and major funding and resource cuts etc until the cold war heated up at least)....it only made sense for lots of them to go to French Foreign legion.

To this day I think Germans are the largest by foreign origin in the legion.

German were outnumbered everywhere..
German won due to fast mobilization and surprise attack... Russian were helped a lot by US during first Soviets defeat.. German mainly defeated in n. Africa during to loc cut.... in short German were outnumbered, outgunned and out of resources. They didn't have oil to fly fighters.. the whole plan to invade Stalingrad is to capture Caspian oil supply...anyway again killing the spirit of thread :cool::cool:

Germany of WWII is probably one of the few losers if not only in this modern age that still receives high respect in the military and defense world despite losing a big war.

Analogous to this post about German tanks in World War II here is a list of German tank destroyers:

Panzerjäger I.jpg

Panzerjäger I - The first tank destroyer to enter service. It mounts the Czech 4,7cm KPÚV vz. 36 anti-tank gun (also known as the 4,7 cm PaK 36 (t) in Wehrmacht designation) on a Panzer I Ausf. B chassis. Employed in France, the Balkans, North Africa and on the Eastern Front.

Marder_I.jpg

Marder I - First introduced on the Eastern Front to counter the Soviet T-34 and KV-1 tanks. Based on captured samples of the French Lorraine 37L tracked carrier and also the Hotchkiss H39 and FCM 36 light tanks for some vehicles. It carries the potent 7.5 cm PaK 40 L/46 anti-tank gun.

Sd.Kfz. 132 Marder II.jpg

SdKfz 132 Marder II - As the French vehicles used as the basis of the Marder I proved to be too slow, conversion of aging Panzer II light tanks into tank destroyers was ordered. This vehicle mounts a captured Soviet 76.2 mm M1936 divisional gun, rechambered to accept German rounds.

Sd.Kfz. 131 Marder II.jpg

SdKfz 131 Marder II - Similar to the 132, but carrying a German 7.5 cm PaK 40 in its stead.

Sd.Kfz. 139 Marder III.jpg

SdKfz 139 Marder III - A modified Panzer 38 (t) Ausf. G Czech light tank (LT vz. 38) armed with the Soviet M1936 field gun on its open-top superstructure.

Sd.Kfz. 138 Marder III Ausf. H.jpg

SdKfz 138 Marder III Ausf. H - Fields the standard 7.5 cm PaK 40 on a Panzer 38 (t) Ausf. H chassis.

Sd.Kfz. 138 Marder III Ausf. M.jpg

SdKfz 138 Marder III - The last vehicle of the Marder series, based upon the Geschützwagen 38(t) Ausf. M (also known as Grille), a purpose-designed vehicle for self-propelled gun use. Again armed with the venerable 7.5 cm PaK 40.

Hetzer.jpg

Jagdpanzer 38 (t) Hetzer - A light tank destroyer based on the extremely reliable Czech Panzer 38 (t). Introduced late-war and armed with the 7.5 cm PaK 39 L/48.

@Desert Fox The thread is about the Wehrmacht but would you mind if we post pictured or videos about the Waffen-SS as well?
not sure about vids but u can post Waffen SS pics even and @DesertFox have posted some pics iirc and in future i am gonna post it too so i think yea you can post it and we're not breaking any forum rule eh?;)
ME 262 worlds first operational Jet fighter
1280px-Messerschmitt_Me_262_Schwable.jpg

1-Me262A-1a-3_EJG2-Franz-Holzinger-WNr-110956-captured-Lechfeld-April-29-1945-02.jpg

original.jpg

Kikka Japanese brother of Me 262 @Nihonjin1051 @Desert Fox @Nilgiri
latest
U8b1A7E.jpg

not sure about vids but u can post Waffen SS pics even and @DesertFox have posted some pics iirc and in future i am gonna post it too so i think yea you can post it and we're not breaking any forum rule eh?;)
ME 262 worlds first operational Jet fighter
1280px-Messerschmitt_Me_262_Schwable.jpg

1-Me262A-1a-3_EJG2-Franz-Holzinger-WNr-110956-captured-Lechfeld-April-29-1945-02.jpg

original.jpg

Kikka Japanese brother of Me 262 @Nihonjin1051 @Desert Fox @Nilgiri
latest
U8b1A7E.jpg

Had the fortune of seeing one of these babies (replica) fly at the Hamilton Airshow some years back.

Here's the video of that event:

I just wish they chose a better colour scheme. I was always partial to the desert one.

It is to be noted the sound of the GE engines would be very different to the original ones which had a much higher pitched whine from the descriptions I have read.

The German Wehrmacht remains one of history's most effective fighting force. Known for the discipline of its men, the legendary stiffness of its Prussian officer corp, and the daunting tasks to which this organized fighting force would commit itself to on all the major fronts of the European theater, earning the admiration of both friend and foe alike, the Wehrmacht remains yet to be paralleled by any other Army to this day. On every major front and against all odds, the Wehrmacht held its own against numerically superior adversaries.

"The victory has gone to the Allies, the soldierly glory to the Germans." Drew Middleton (1913-1990), American military journalist

Here's to the brave men and women of die Deutsche Wehrmacht:

A dream turned into a nightmare just because of three wrong decisions and stupidity of three Idiots .

Here some pics NON German Waffen SS soldiers :agree:

black-nazi2.jpg
This guy isn't SS (he doesn't have the SS emblem on his collar). Most likely a Wehrmacht non-German volunteer in North Africa or France. The Germans allowed many French speaking African soldiers of the French colonial Army to join the Wehrmacht as volunteers.

Ukrainian Cossacks in the Wehrmacht, On the Eastern Front and Balkans:

fdfa85b27858fc38ccccd2a905554877[1].jpg

30786-130644-1c7bbc584228f70b4f0c1e766028d4a4[1].jpg

Kos7[1].jpg

1st_ko7[1].jpg

Cossacks of the Wehrmacht in the Warsaw Uprising:

Warsaw_Uprising_-_Kaminski_(1944)[1].jpg

General Helmuth von Panwitz, the only German and only foreigner to ever be elected as 'Ataman' (leader) of the Cossack community. The Cossacks referred to him as the "last Knight of Europe." At the end of the war, as a high ranking officer of the Wehrmacht, he had the choice of surrendering to the British and living out the rest of his life in peace, but instead chose to be deported to the Soviet Union with his Cossack comrades, saying “These Cossack brothers of mine are the bravest soldiers and true comrades-“wither they goest - -there also I will go”. He was executed publicly in Moscow in 1947, along with the other leading anti-Soviet Russian leaders:

MVC-024S_lg[1].jpg

7dc665f475612b7cdef5883ca46a7268[1].jpg

@Psychic @Nilgiri @DesertFox97 @Foxtrot-Bravo @Arryn

Last edited:
The German Wehrmacht remains one of history's most effective fighting force. Known for the discipline of its men, the legendary stiffness of its Prussian officer corp, and the daunting tasks to which this organized fighting force would commit itself to on all the major fronts of the European theater, earning the admiration of both friend and foe alike, the Wehrmacht remains yet to be paralleled by any other Army to this day. On every major front and against all odds, the Wehrmacht held its own against numerically superior adversaries.

"The victory has gone to the Allies, the soldierly glory to the Germans." Drew Middleton (1913-1990), American military journalist

Here's to the brave men and women of die Deutsche Wehrmacht:

Salute to HITLER and nazi germany

Back
Top Bottom