What's new

The US is a first-world nation with a third-world rail system

HSR within metropolitan Los Angeles is more like mass transit. The price points for HSR will not work

The United States is indeed having difficulties in large-scale infrastructure construction. The east and west coasts, the Great Lakes region, and the Texas triangle are still suitable for high-speed rail construction, and the population density is large enough.

You beat me to it! I was just going to say heck, the "railroad" in America was built in the time of cowboys and Indians, post Civil War IIRC. Now it's probably considered strictly freight and even that I think mostly has been moved to trucks and planes. Freight might be limited to very raw materials that are unpackaged.
But they try to keep it that way and don't want to upgrade it, China also had massive conventional railways before but in recent 10 years they are being replaced by HSRs.

The United States is indeed having difficulties in large-scale infrastructure construction. The east and west coasts, the Great Lakes region, and the Texas triangle are still suitable for high-speed rail construction, and the population density is large enough.

We just went over West Coast example in this thread
San Francisco to Portland

China just completed the world biggest and second biggest airports in just one years, modern airports spring up everywhere in China even in remote counties in Pamir Plateau and it's super easy and cheap with up to date technology, but still much more people choose to take HSR, it's way more conveinent and comfortable than flying.

Thats understandable, Despite all the talk here. If americans get this option they will do the same. Who will let go of a fast transport where a train leaves every few minutes.

But they try to keep it that way and don't want to upgrade it, China also had massive conventional railways before but in recent 10 years they are being replaced by HSRs.

Yeah I hear ya. Honestly, the demand for that is probably low on the scale of government priorities. For example, Congress just passed the largest infrastructure bill ever and it's mostly to fix up all the roads, bridges, highways and make improvements etc. I don't believe there is anything for a HSR anywhere in that bill. That just goes to show you how it's not much of a priority and before introducing something like an HSR, they'll probably just upgrade to better, current trains and that's about it.

Can be extended to Seattle and Los Angeles.

Portland to San Francisco will never be economical. you have 4000-5000 passengers per day. Calculate the revenues and amortize it in day to day operation and maintenance of the HSR link. the economics do not work.

Portland to San Francisco will never be economical. you have 4000-5000 passengers per day. Calculate the revenues and amortize it in day to day operation and maintenance of the HSR link. the economics do not work.

This is also the view of many people before and at the beginning of China's high-speed rail construction.

This is also the view of many people before and at the beginning of China's high-speed rail construction.

Work out the hard math

" Portland to San Francisco will never be economical. you have 4000-5000 passengers per day. Calculate the revenues and amortize it in day to day operation and maintenance of the HSR link. the economics do not work. "

Revenues are 5000 x $200 = $1 million per day

Figure the cost of maintaining the HSR link between San Francisco and Portland

Work out the hard math

" Portland to San Francisco will never be economical. you have 4000-5000 passengers per day. Calculate the revenues and amortize it in day to day operation and maintenance of the HSR link. the economics do not work. "

Heard of network effects ? and also the stops in between ?

That's completely untrue. The US is not a first world nation.

Work out the hard math

The United States and China are still different, and it cannot be said that the United States will definitely operate the same as China after the high-speed rail is built. After all, most of the middle class in the United States live in large suburban houses. Maybe you are right. In general, China subsidizes public transportation. .

I go to the airport for domestic flight 90 minutes ahead of time. Maybe in a big city I might have to schedule 2 hours

These are the two issues for HSR network in USA our Chinese friends ignore.

Increased Maintenance Costs
the temperature extremes are higher in USA compared to China.
a lot of HSR rail networks will pass through sparsely populated areas.

Cost of getting to HSR terminals
It takes time to get to the HSR terminals. In USA we are spread out in terms of living
I never said its suitable for the states man, I am just saying US won't be able to build it even if its suitable.

Back
Top Bottom