What's new

The Unexpected Origins Of The Name Pakistan

What is interesting is that Iqbal [1930] and Rehmat Ali [1933] both enunciated the exact form of Pakistan we have today - a federation of Punjab, Afghania [K-Pk], Kashmir, Sindh, Balochistan. In this scheme there is no Bangla. Therefore in 1947 when Bangla was included it was not consistent with the original blueprint. But history has funny of correcting aberrations. In 1971 Pakistan reverted to it's orginal blueprint as espoused by Sir Allama Iqbal in 1930 and Rehmat Ali in 1933.

"India is a continent of human groups belonging to different races, speaking different languages, and professing different religions [...] Personally, I would like to see the Punjab, North-West Frontier Province, Sindh and Baluchistan amalgamated into a single State. Self-government within the British Empire, or without the British Empire, the formation of a consolidated North-West Indian Muslim State appears to me to be the final destiny of the Muslims, at least of North-West India."

Allahbad_Address_Points.jpg

http://www.columbia.edu/itc/mealac/pritchett/00islamlinks/txt_iqbal_1930.html

I've always said Bangladesh should be viewed more as a former colony rather than a part of the same nation as us.

Pakistan is a fairly new country so offcourse the name can't be ancient. West has a very little knowledge about Indian Subcontinent.

It kind of is, the name "Pak" was at one point used to describe upper class Muslim families in the sub-continent.

It kind of is, the name "Pak" was at one point used to describe upper class Muslim families in the sub-continent.
That is interesting. Is there a link I can refer to please?

I'm currently trying to dig it up again, please give me a minute.

Yeah sorry, can't find it. Maybe you'll have better luck than me.

I kinda found it, but this source only mentions its use in modern times:

https://guevents.georgetown.edu/eve...lims_in_north_india_and_pakistan#.W1xEjdX0nIU

I am only saying that this region was always known as a single entity: Indian subcontinent. Modern India is the successor state.

Anyway that's not the topic here. Pakistan is a new country so the name Pakistan cannot be an ancient one, so let's just leave it there.

Haha, bari achi baat hay bharati. Sanghi logic agi na? Ek Beta, apnay baap ka akelay wali kesay hosakta hay?

Ager neend achi ati hay to yay koolaid pee ke sojao. :lol:

I'm currently trying to dig it up again, please give me a minute.

Yeah sorry, can't find it. Maybe you'll have better luck than me.

I kinda found it, but this source only mentions its use in modern times:

https://guevents.georgetown.edu/eve...lims_in_north_india_and_pakistan#.W1xEjdX0nIU
Thank you for your efforts. Though the article in the link didn't describe the entire scenario but it does seem that "caste" concept has been spread across the region (may be not as dominant as it is in India).

Article said that there are 3 castes among Muslim communities? It's something new for me. I guess I'll find something myself on that one.

Thanks again. :tup:

Article said that there are 3 castes among Muslim communities? It's something new for me. I guess I'll find something myself on that one.

Thanks again. :tup:

It's somewhat like that. There are 3 general groups, the ones who claim prestigious lineages and as a result view themselves highly (e.g Qureshis, Syeds, Ansaris, Mughals, Shaykhs, etc), the ones who are considered to be of regular lineage and are as a result considered to be okay but nothing special (e.g Gujjars, Rajputs, Arains, Durranis, etc), and the ones who are viewed as low due to having what is perceived as inferior lineage (e.g Dalit converts to Islam).

The caste system really only affects marriages, with typically very little affect on other aspects of society.

People who are considered to be of regular lineage can also be raised to a status similar to that of those who claim prestigious lineage if they are wealthy, and can also be viewed as low-caste if they are poor.

I am only saying that this region was always known as a single entity: Indian subcontinent. Modern India is the successor state.

Anyway that's not the topic here. Pakistan is a new country so the name Pakistan cannot be an ancient one, so let's just leave it there.

If India is the successor state of a geographical term coined by foreigners then Pakistan is the successor state of Mughal Empire.

End of discussion. You're retarded. :rofl:

Complete nonsense video.

The names of Pakistani provinces by far predate British India or the names "India" and "Hindustan" which are ironically enough both derived from the Pakistani province of Sindh.

So the name Pakistan is ancient and modern at the same time.

one was given to them by Muslims and the other by English

If India is the successor state of a geographical term coined by foreigners then Pakistan is the successor state of Mughal Empire.

Pakistan could have been considered successor of Mughals if it controlled >50% of mughal empire area or controlled Mughal capital.
But since Pakistan does not meet criteria it is no successor of mughals

Pakistan could have been considered successor of Mughals if it controlled >50% of mughal empire area or controlled Mughal capital.

Sorry I refuse to engage with recent Indian members, 99.9% are 2nd id's of Indians on PDF. Its like going back in circles. If you wanna have a discussion come back on your main account.

Sorry I refuse to engage with recent Indian members, 99.9% are 2nd id's of Indians on PDF. Its like going back in circles. If you wanna have a discussion come back on your main account.
I have only one account and looks like you are just putting out loser excuses.

I've always said Bangladesh should be viewed more as a former colony rather than a part of the same nation as us.

I am deeply disappointed by this comment. Beg to disagree; East Pakistan was never a colony of Pakistan but ‘One half’. I am not normally rude but this poster appears to be ignorant of the history of Pakistan movement. It is ones’ privilege to dislike Bengalis but one should not twist the history.

To remind my honourable friend: many Muslim League founding members were Bengali and it was founded on December 30, 1906, at Dacca.

Punjab, land of Ch. Rehmat Ali & Allama Iqbal was ruled by ‘Unionists’ headed by Khizar Hayat Tiwana. KPK was ruled by the NAP of Ghaffar Khan who was a close friend of Gandhi and also wanted to stay within united India. Had it not been for the East Pakistanis; Pakistan may not have come into being at all.

Four Prime Ministers of Pakistan namely Khwaja Nazimuddin, Mohammed Ali Bogra, Hussein Shaheed Suharwrady and Nurul Amin were of Bengali origin.

Two Governor Generals; Khwaja Nazimuddin was pure blood Bengali. Maj General Sikander Mirza was a scion of the Nawab of Murshid Abad whose family had been living in Bengal for the last 400 years.

Can anyone forget the gallantry of East Pakistani fighter pilots during 1965 war? Initial industrialization of Pakistan was almost wholly financed by the FE earned through export of East Pakistani Jute.

IMO it is such kind of attitude that was responsible for the break-up of Pakistan in 1971. What I am afraid is that after my generation dies out, the younger generations Pakistanis may remain ignorant of what really happened?

I am deeply disappointed by this comment. Beg to disagree; East Pakistan was never a colony of Pakistan but ‘One half’. I am not normally rude but this poster appears to be ignorant of the history of Pakistan movement. It is ones’ privilege to dislike Bengalis but one should not twist the history.

To remind my honourable friend: many Muslim League founding members were Bengali and it was founded on December 30, 1906, at Dacca.

Punjab, land of Ch. Rehmat Ali & Allama Iqbal was ruled by ‘Unionists’ headed by Khizar Hayat Tiwana. KPK was ruled by the NAP of Ghaffar Khan who was a close friend of Gandhi and also wanted to stay within united India. Had it not been for the East Pakistanis; Pakistan may not have come into being at all.

Four Prime Ministers of Pakistan namely Khwaja Nazimuddin, Mohammed Ali Bogra, Hussein Shaheed Suharwrady and Nurul Amin were of Bengali origin.

Two Governor Generals; Khwaja Nazimuddin was pure blood Bengali. Maj General Sikander Mirza was a scion of the Nawab of Murshid Abad whose family had been living in Bengal for the last 400 years.

Can anyone forget the gallantry of East Pakistani fighter pilots during 1965 war? Initial industrialization of Pakistan was almost wholly financed by the FE earned through export of East Pakistani Jute.

IMO it is such kind of attitude that was responsible for the break-up of Pakistan in 1971. What I am afraid is that after my generation dies out, the younger generations Pakistanis may remain ignorant of what really happened?

Asalamu Alaikum

No, they never were our equals and thank God for that, those idiots were too hyper-nationalistic about being Bengali, they wanted to implement Bengali as the national language, they wanted East Pakistan to have more seats than West Pakistan, they didn't even want to use the same currency as us! They showed massive hostility towards West Pakistanis and anyone affiliated to them as clearly shown in 1971 when they killed thousands of us, PRIOR to the Pakistani military retaliating with 1000 times as much force.

Pakistan itself stands for the Punjab, Afghania, Kashmir, and Baluchistan. I see no mention of East Pakistan in that acronym. Allama Iqbal himself did not envision Bangladesh as part of Pakistan either. Almost all of Pakistan's major cities were also in the West, all the East had was Dhaka which was nowhere near as good as Islamabad, Lahore, Karachi, etc. We also made our language the national language, whilst Bengali, despite being the most commonly spoken language, held a pretty insignificant position. They were just a source of revenue for us.

Some Bengalis might have done good things for Pakistan, just like some people in British India might have done good things for Britain. It doesn't change a thing. In fact, many of those people migrated to Pakistan post-1971.

The PM's were just poster-boys, we all know who held the real power.

It's somewhat like that. There are 3 general groups, the ones who claim prestigious lineages and as a result view themselves highly (e.g Qureshis, Syeds, Ansaris, Mughals, Shaykhs, etc), the ones who are considered to be of regular lineage and are as a result considered to be okay but nothing special (e.g Gujjars, Rajputs, Arains, Durranis, etc), and the ones who are viewed as low due to having what is perceived as inferior lineage (e.g Dalit converts to Islam).

The caste system really only affects marriages, with typically very little affect on other aspects of society.

People who are considered to be of regular lineage can also be raised to a status similar to that of those who claim prestigious lineage if they are wealthy, and can also be viewed as low-caste if they are poor.
Thanks again. The whole point of Dalits converting to Islam was to throw the caste system away ?

Anyway, seems we're going off topic , well we this some other day :-)

Was that called Mughal Pakistan ?

Was that called Mughal Pakistan ?

Mughals sure as hell did not call it "Mughal India" either. More shameless hijacking by Gangas. Will you be claiming Britain next since they controlled all of South Asia?

For the record, most things Mughals originated from Central Asia or Persia.

Back
Top Bottom