What's new

The U.S. team tied for first place with China at the 60th International Mathematical Olympiad (IMO)

beijingwalker

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
China
The U.S. team tied for first place with China at the 60th International Mathematical Olympiad (IMO)
July 19, 2019
math-olympiad-2019-900x600-min.jpg

The U.S. team tied for first place with China at the 60th International Mathematical Olympiad (IMO), which was held in Bath, United Kingdom, July 11-22. The six U.S. team members, Vincent Huang (a returning member from 2017 and 2018), Luke Robitaille, Colin Tang, Edward Wan, Brandon Wang and Daniel Zhu also won gold medals for their individual high scores in the Olympiad, known as the world championship mathematics competition for high school students.

e1fe9925bc315c602fe9dca55843e21648547777.jpeg

The U.S. team is coached by Carnegie Mellon University Associate Professor of Mathematical Sciences Po-Shen Loh. Under Loh’s leadership, the team also placed first at the IMO in 2015, 2016 and 2018.

Each year, the six members of the team make their final preparations for the IMO at Carnegie Mellon’s Pittsburgh campus at the Mathematical Association of America’s Mathematical Olympiad Summer Program (MAA’s MOP), where they train with some of the world’s best high school math students.

"These high school students become more and more impressive each year, often already coming with knowledge that I myself only encountered in graduate school. It is an honor to have the opportunity to serve as a guide as they learn how to turn their skills into impact," Loh said.

Approximately 80 students are invited to MOP on the basis of their exceptional performance on national and international Math Olympiad competitions, and top-finishing countries are invited to send two of their top students. Funded by the Benter Foundation, the Allegheny Foundation, CMU’s President’s Office and the Hillman Foundation through the Henry L. Hillman President's Chair, and CMU’s Department of Mathematical Sciences, the addition of international students gives MOP participants the chance for a multi-cultural experience similar to what the IMO team encounters at the competition.

This year, Carnegie Mellon had a few additional connections to the competition. One of the six problems on the IMO was authored by recent mathematical sciences graduate David Altizio, who will begin his Ph.D. in mathematics at the University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign this fall.

Additionally, two members of international IMO teams will begin their studies at Carnegie Mellon this fall in the Department of Mathematical Sciences. Howard Halim, a member of the Canadian IMO team, will start his undergraduate degree and Ting-Wei Chao, one of the assistant coaches for Taiwan's IMO team, will begin his Ph.D.

“The Mathematical Association of America is proud to congratulate the students who competed in the International Mathematical Olympiad for the United States of America on their first-place finish in the challenging math competition,” said Michael Pearson, executive director of the Mathematical Association of America. “We are proud to organize the U.S. IMO team through the MAA American Mathematics Competitions that strengthen the nation’s mathematical problem-solvers. In this competition and their future endeavors, these students will help achieve our vision of a society that values the power and beauty of mathematics and fully realizes its potential to promote human flourishing.”

The United States of America will host the 62nd International Mathematical Olympiad in 2021 in Washington, D.C., and it will be organized by the Mathematical Association of America.

https://www.cmu.edu/news/stories/archives/2019/july/us-first-in-math-competiton.html

Last edited:
math-olympiad-2019-900x600-min.jpg

The six U.S. team members, Vincent Huang (a returning member from 2017 and 2018), Luke Robitaille, Colin Tang, Edward Wan, Brandon Wang and Daniel Zhu also won gold medals

This is an American team or Chinese team....

Full Rankings

b3fb43166d224f4ae34bc7c6c4ccb8579a22d1d2.jpeg

7c1ed21b0ef41bd54514323687e1a9ce38db3d6a.jpeg

This is an American team or Chinese team....

Full Rankings

b3fb43166d224f4ae34bc7c6c4ccb8579a22d1d2.jpeg

7c1ed21b0ef41bd54514323687e1a9ce38db3d6a.jpeg
Didn’t you tell this forum 100 times, all chinese are returning to communist motherland?

What are they doing in America?

Didn’t you tell this forum 100 times, all chinese are returning to communist motherland?

What are they doing in America?
When did I claim all Chinese return to China? There are big Chinese communities in Americas and South East Asia, those overseas Chinese are very young in age, they were most probably born in those countries.

When did I claim all Chinese return to China? There are big Chinese communities in Americas and South East Asia, those overseas Chinese are very young in age, they were most probably born in those countries.
Yes I know chinese diaspora is everywhere, I just wonder why they don’t return to China?

The West is evil. Worse, they are poor.

Seems their parents aren't rushing back to China to give them a "better" life...which is pretty much the standard story of people who pack up their bags and leave China.

Seems their parents aren't rushing back to China to give them a "better" life...which is pretty much the standard story of people who pack up their bags and leave China.
Chinese communities are everywhere, the biggest is in South East Asia, over 70% of Singaporeans are ethnic Chinese, those kids families could've lived in those countries for generations.
But Chinese people don't account for much among all US ethnic groups, how come even one white kid is on US team?

Yes, and they are getting bigger NOT smaller. The number of Chinese in the US has shot up dramatically. More students are staying every year and China is now the #1 source of immigration.
Can be, even 80% of them return, but the number is big, they are getting smaller, that's why Trump want more Chinese students to go to study in US cause more and more Chinese students now choose other countries for their study.
Still, you still didn't answer my question while I answered yours. Chinese don't account for much of US population, why only one white kid is on the team and rest of them are all ethnic Chinese?

Can be, even 80% of them return, but the number is big, they are getting smaller, that's why Trump want more Chinese students to go to study in US cause more and more Chinese students now choose other countries for their study.

"Getting smaller" is relative. It's because the numbers staying are insanely high compared to just 10 to 15 years ago.

Still, you still didn't answer my question while I answered yours. Chinese don't account for much of US population, why only one white kid is on the team and rest of them are all ethnic Chinese?

Many Chinese families are notorious for sending their kids to multiple after school educational programs...at the expense of everything else. Unfortunately this doesn't automatically bode well in the corporate world as many end up in a corner all by themselves as some bright technician following someone else's orders.

They are working as spies for China. Many of them are labelled as spies for China. Eventually, they are bar from working a lot of critical project which will killed US and not China.

Yes, What you want to say is: Westerners are excellent people and have higher IQ than other races.

But their hair is black

Back
Top Bottom