What's new

The U.S. Army's New 84-Ton Tank Prototype Is Nearly IED-Proof

If it is to replace the bradley,how are they gonna transport it? Even the Globemaster won't be enough!

If it is to replace the bradley,how are they gonna transport it? Even the Globemaster won't be enough!

Lighter stuff goes in first.....if it is long haul the heavies come by ship (lots of them)

This is almost always true.

This prototype will most likely be rejected.

These tank designs are on the death bed just like manned fighter bombers.

this is the time to think 30 years from now.

That means drones, drones, drones.

On land, on sea and in the air.

Robotics and drone tanks is the way to go. This will reduce the amount of armor protection, thus drastically reducing the weight. increase fuel efficiency, and work more quickly and efficiently.

Some of you may laugh at it. But that is the future.

peace

This is the future.

ku-xlarge.jpg

Hey, look at the bright side. At least it's not as big as the Landkreuzers :lol:

C17 Globemaster take up to 77 tons i.e. 1 Abrams. Then again, C-5B Galaxy takes 119 tons. Both fly their cargo out to some 4,500 km without refuelling. A C-5 is capable of transporting up to six Boeing AH-64 Apaches or five Bradley Fighting Vehicles (which weigh in at 27.6 tonnes / 30.4 short tons a piece). The U.S. Air Force has 94 C-5s (Active: 36, Reserve: 37, ANG: 21) in service as of October 2011. C-5B: 50. C-5 AMP and C-5M Super Galaxy: Reliability Enhancement and Re-engining Program (RERP) began in 2006. The CF6 engine produces 22% more thrust (for 50,000 lbf or 220 kN) from each engine,[88] providing a 30% shorter takeoff, a 38% higher climb rate to initial altitude, an increased cargo load and a longer range.

If you happen to not have C-5s available, then you fly the turrets and the hull's in seperately. The M1A2 SEP (v1 or v2) weighs 63,1 metric tons total : 24,4 tons for the turret and 38,7 tons for the hull. This weight does not include TUSK. The kit most likely will weigh in excess of 4 metric tons. So, that's 2 hulls per C17 load or 3 turrets. Assume 33-40% of an 84 ton tank to be turret > 28 - 34 tons > hull 50-56 ton. So: 1 hull or 2 turrets per C17 load. All you need is a couple of ARV in place to lift the turrets back onto the hulls. US M88A2 ARV weighs 63.5 t ; German BPz# weighs 54,3 metric tons.

Does that answer your question?

M1_Abrams_turret_alignment.jpg

m88a1-crane.jpg

leopard1arv00e0rti930.jpg

M32-ARV-HVSS-latrun-1.jpg

I keep wondering why not just buy Merkavas, they carry troops and are smaller & better armed :what:

Question to the more knowledgeable members: is this for counter - insurgency only, or is the plan to use it full scale, for all armor brigades? Because I can't imagine hundreds/thousands of these running around after tanks in a conventional scenario..the logistics alone would be a nightmare..and your basically in a giant "shoot me!!!!" sign for enemy tanks/atgm crews...

Back
Top Bottom