What's new

The temples of Rawalpindi: Old wisdom in a new world

puran da khoo sialkot
5505439391c92.jpg

4219298954_5a8d49d09d.jpg

12741789994_64ff84018f.jpg

Puran Bhagat
Puran Bhagat was a Punjabi ascetic and Prince of Sailkot. Today he is also worshipped as Baba Sahaj Nath Ji.

Background[edit]
Puran was born to Queen Ichhira, the first wife of Raja Sálbán.[1] Upon the suggestion of the astrologers, Puran was sent away from the King for the first 12 years of his life. It was said that King could not see the face of his son. While Puran was away, the King married a young girl named Luna, who came from a low caste family. After 12 years of isolation, Puran returned to the royal palace. There, Luna became romantically attracted toward Puran, who was of the same age. Being the step-son of Luna, Puran disapproved of her advances. A hurt Luna accused Puran of violating her honor.

Puran was ordered to be killed. The soldiers however spared his life and help him escape from the kingdom. He was later adopted by Baba Gorkhnath. Puran himself became a yogi.

Worship[edit]
Puran also known as Baba Sahaj Nath Ji, is the supreme head of the Jandiyals, a Hindu Caste. The Jandiyals gather twice a year on Guru Purnima and worship Puran Bhagat. The temple of Bawa Sahaj Nath Ji is located in Pakistan, but afterpartition, the Jandiyals constructed a temple in Jandi near Heeranagar, Jammu, another temple in Taragarh near Dinnanger, and a third one in Dorangla.

Jandiyal families who came from Pakistan bought that temple's sand and used it to construct a small temple in Taragarh. People from all over India come here on Guru Purnima for Darshan.

In addition to the Targarh temple, Jandiyals (Mahajan) have built temples at Agra, Jammu, and Udhampur (J&K). Udhampur city is also known as Devika Nagri. The temple is located at Bye Pass Road, Fangyal. Jandiyal biradari celebrates and worships Baba Sehaj Nath ji twice a year on Budh Purnima and Kartik Purnima.
Puran Bhagat - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Here is My City many temples but no worshiper left here all migrated hence no body is there to raise voice for maintenance. Few pics for you
6347611-Shawala_Teja_Singh_Temple_Sialkot.jpg

38.+Sialkot,+Pakistan.jpg

6b60306f28c5c7b9ba8350f9deade675.jpg

9961291055_a941a74151_b.jpg

4198373452_5eefe2a49e.jpg

6854017237_3ceb466049.jpg

444435814_640.jpg

Great architecture of older era, thanks for sharing

come again? what government patronage? it was a mob of nearly a lakh people, police fired shots, many died on the spot. A government failure? yes, Patronized by government? no. I am sure Pakistan has its own series of unfortunate events where the government could have done a better job.

anyway Pakistani hindus missed the last train 60 years back so its up to them how to survive in a pure Islamic land. Hardly anything we can do apart from providing them citizenship.

Yes government patronage. Main stream political leaders like Advani etc part of the rally against Babri mosque. Babri mosque was first shut down in Congress rule I guess. It was a joint operation. Something which would never happen in Islamic republic of Pakistan but is definitely possible is secular republic of India.

Yes government patronage. Main stream political leaders like Advani etc part of the rally against Babri mosque. Babri mosque was shut down in Congress rule I guess. It was a joint operation. Something which would never happen in Islamic republic of Pakistan but is definitely possible is secular republic of India.
Now they are campaigning against Taj mahal decalring it Tejo Mahalaya

Now they are campaigning against Taj mahal decalring it Tejo Mahalaya

Not surprised. We should talk more about these incidents and shouldn't be apologist. It is psyche of Indians as a nation to believe themselves as victims while committing crimes of all sorts. We need to show them what they really are.

Yes government patronage. Main stream political leaders like Advani etc part of the rally against Babri mosque. Babri mosque was first shut down in Congress rule I guess. It was a joint operation. Something which would never happen in Islamic republic of Pakistan but is definitely possible is secular republic of India.
Dude no offence but its a utter waste of time for me debating with a guy who can not differentiate between elected government and fringe opposition. U are right Pakistan is a beacon of peace and prosperity and India is a communal hell hole. Thanks for opening my eyes

Dude no offence but its a utter waste of time for me debating with a guy who can not differentiate between elected government and fringe opposition. U are right Pakistan is a beacon of peace and prosperity and India is a communal hell hole. Thanks for opening my eyes

I don't need to open your eyes. Since I don't want to. More extremists in India, the better for us.

Why there are no pre partition Mosques survived in India? Afterall, millions of Muslims migrated from Indian Punjab.

What a shame - that the Hindu / Sikh population is negligible in Pak. Am sure there must be so many more of their religious and cultural structures from the pre-partition era.

Negligible in terms of a comparison to the overall population but they do have sizeable numbers, but are concentrated.

by the looks it seems the temples are not well maintained. are hindus lesser in numbers than Christians in pak?

Christians tend to have a higher birth rate, but in recent times the Hindu rate has crept up quickly. Pakistan's Hindu communities are all centred in Sind, with many being in Karachi (usually well off folks), but the majority live in Sind, both in towns and rural areas. Hindu royalty is also to be found in Sind. The better off folks have started making moves to renovate and start worship in Pakistan's old temples but it will take time. What would be ideal is to have Hindu communities living in the vicinity of such temples, but people are reluctant to pack up and move. if you look at the Sikh Gudwars, they always have sizeable communities near them, with the best examples being in Rawalpindi near Gudwara Panja Sahib and obviously Nankana Sahib.

Here is My City many temples but no worshiper left here all migrated hence no body is there to raise voice for maintenance. Few pics for you
6347611-Shawala_Teja_Singh_Temple_Sialkot.jpg

38.+Sialkot,+Pakistan.jpg

6b60306f28c5c7b9ba8350f9deade675.jpg

9961291055_a941a74151_b.jpg

4198373452_5eefe2a49e.jpg

6854017237_3ceb466049.jpg

444435814_640.jpg
So many memories
Ik tay saday pind day kol ey

Why there are no pre partition Mosques survived in India? Afterall, millions of Muslims migrated from Indian Punjab.

1. Contradictory question. What has migration of Muslims from Punjab has to do with survival of pre-partition Mosques of India?
2. India has thousands of Pre-partion mosques...well funded by Govt.
Just google List_of_mosques_in_India

oh sorry. but its not my fault mate majority of Indians came to PDF for trolling.
no need to say sorry sir. have a nice day...
This "fact" is actually in your psyche. A kind of inferiority complex.
Yes you can say that it is in our psyche but its not imaginary it is based on historical facts. we just want what happened in past should not happen again.

These temples dont look lie can accomodate many people, was it personal temples?

Back
Top Bottom