What's new

The Slaves of Arabia

Status
Not open for further replies.
The "imama" has grounds in Arab culture. Why not the various pagris for our imams? Seems appropriate to associate this with the religious significance they have attached to arab culture.

I'll not mingle in pointless self observations but it is widely known that the Tableeghi Jamaat specifically propagates these things. You might have been disconnected with the traditional religious right for various reasons, but the reality is known to all and sundry.

Sorry you are spreading misconception based on your hate for Arabs.

Not all the participants of a Tablighi jamaat wear those pagris. neither they advocate wearing of it to the listeners to whom they are doing tablegh. I dont know if you have first hand experience of confronting a tablighi jamaat but here in my city and province we have seen our youth going for tabligh and during the trip they only preach basics of Islam ranging from Namaz to other obligations and NOT the dress code.

2. These pagris are adopted by different Islamic schools of thought just to show their difference with the other group. For example Barelvis, deobandis and so on. so you see green, black and other colors of pagris. IT has NOTHING to do with Arabisation.

This thing is 99% present in Punjab where you see recently converted Muslims.

The use of fancy thobes as a gown on Fridays and sometimes daily by clergymen is widespread especially in urban middle class areas (which are more Saudi-ized and Wahabi-ized than our rural population). Thobe has no cultural history in our region. It has been imported as arab-religious in the previous half century. Similarly use of Keffiyeh (especially the red and white Saudi version and off white Kuwaiti version) are popular among clergymen. These weren't common before the rebirth of Wahabist ideology in our region.

Again its your hatred for Arabs which is speaking and the use of word "urban middle class" coined by that addict NFP :) is well never mind.

The use of Keffiyeh or thobe is hardly seen during Friday sermons. Even during Eid prayers you dont see much of the imams wearing these.

Above all if we are talking about Pakistani society than how many common men you have seen wearing it during Friday prayer alone if not 5 times a day???????

I have given vague examples but I can indulge in definite and procedural debate if you want including the reasons for far less prevalence of female facial coverings in our rural areas than our middle and lower middle class urban areas. You are free to hold a dissenting opinion.

The purpose is to cover your body parts and thats it. Any conservative or a family who thinks its better to preserve their values or sanctity their women prefer to burqa or cover their face it has nothing to with Arabisation. If you go to some areas like Chilistan, Rajhistan there used to be practice that women used to have a big ghonghat in front of male members of the family where they were wed. This practice was still prevalent in Hazara division of NWFP, Pakistan up till few decades. Even today some old women do so there. It has nothing to do Arabisation rather its a personal choice.

It was enforced under Zia. PTV spread the message through telecasts asking the use of Allah Hafiz, pamphlets were distributed and Khuda Hafiz was deemed unacceptable in government offices. So, it was enforced.

Again what difference it makes if you use Allah Hafiz or Khuda Hafiz?? Have you seen Saudis saying Allah Hafiz????

Dont they say Fiamanillah ? :)

So please stop spreading wrong impression like other neo-liberals that Pakistanis are proving themselves as arabs.

You can not become a arab by just adopting their culture unless you have arab bloodline.

As far as racism is concerned the its a reality in the arab society it prevailed before advent of Islam even.

Islam tried to do away wit it and thats the reason Islam says there is no preference given to a Arab over non Arab, a white over a black and so on.

Let me add some words here as I have been living and working as an Ex-Pat here in Saudi.

I would subscribe to a different point of view here.
Any one who is criticizing Saudi Arabia, is being a little short sighted here.

I have not found any one "racist" here,

I have met people who I didn't even know and made friends.
I have come across people on the street, juice shop ( Saudi People) who make friends in less than 60 seconds, and insist in paying for the dinner.

I have come across "Mutawa" who made friends instantly, and wanted me to visit them in their city.

I have come across other "Mutawa" who offered to take me for Umera as a token of their hospitality.

I have come across land lords, who gives me discount ONLY because I am a Pakistani.

I have come across friends from Saudi Arabia, who visit my apartment every week, and ask how I am doing and if any thing is wrong Even when I am not at the apartment, they wait for me.

I came across immigration officers, who processed my case out of line, in less than 5 minutes, driver's license officers who wanted to give me the license without the test.

Arab Taxi drivers who would say "Subhan Allah" when I tell them I am a Pakistani, and pray with me for Pakistan.

I have not met a single arab, be it Palestenian, Jordanian, Syrian, Saudi, who have turned hostile because I am a Pakistani.

I have no doubt to say that I love Saudi Arabia, just like I love Pakistan.
there is no other place in the world where I would be as comfortable as I am here.

If any one feels different, he / she are welcome to come and visit.

If any one feels he is being discriminated please study the trends back in Pakistan -> Punjabi VS Mohajir, Saraiki VS Punjabi, Sindhi Vs Punjabi.

It at all, it is in us, that we always try to find an excuse to complain.

so, quit sobbing and moaning, and get to work.

Very well said friend , Mashkoor ya siddiqui:)

Actually i have the same good experience but it will take much time to write n i m now out of nergy ..... going 2 sleep ;)

Thanks again.

The "imama" has grounds in Arab culture. Why not the various pagris for our imams? Seems appropriate to associate this with the religious significance they have attached to arab culture.
The use of fancy thobes as a gown on Fridays and sometimes daily by clergymen is widespread especially in urban middle class areas (which are more Saudi-ized and Wahabi-ized than our rural population). Thobe has no cultural history in our region. It has been imported as arab-religious in the previous half century. Similarly use of Keffiyeh (especially the red and white Saudi version and off white Kuwaiti version) are popular among clergymen. These weren't common before the rebirth of Wahabist ideology in our region.

If preserving the Pakistani cultural dress is so important to you, why don't you try and give up your favorite dress shirts and pants, your polished three piece suit, and your comfy sneakers. Since our culture has been invaded by "Western" clothing, why not substitute them for shalwar kameez suit and chappal, in an everyday setting.

Your objections to how people dress in a cultural context is irrelevant. In this globalized world there will be intermingling, and I don't see why anyone would have a problem over how people choose to dress.

It was enforced under Zia. PTV spread the message through telecasts asking the use of Allah Hafiz, pamphlets were distributed and Khuda Hafiz was deemed unacceptable in government offices. So, it was enforced.

Again does it matter much, even if the purported Arabization is taking place. Where were these culture preserving enthusiasts when Westernization was going on, when majority can't even speak Urdu without intermingling with English words? When English is an enforced official language of the country treated on par with Urdu?

I'll emphasize again, in today's age, cultures are bound to get fused and there is no point in opposing it. The only thing to be opposed are hate and bigotry.

It's hard to win an argument against dress codes and what people wear and where they take it from...

In the end it doesn't really matter... I'll wear what I want to wear end of story.... I like my Shalwar Kamiz and i like my Jeans and Polo shirts... I even have those Bruce Lee style Shirts from China that i like a lot as well and doesnt mean i am trying to be Chinese..

I even have an Ushanka that my friend form Ukraine gave me doesn't mean i am from trying to be a Ukrainian or Russian lol.. Also wearing a Chitrali topi doesn't mean i am trying to be Chitrali...

Wear what you feel is cool

It's hard to win an argument against dress codes and what people wear and where they take it from...

In the end it doesn't really matter... I'll wear what I want to wear end of story.... I like my Shalwar Kamiz and i like my Jeans and Polo shirts... I even have those Bruce Lee style Shirts from China that i like a lot as well and doesnt mean i am trying to be Chinese..

I even have an Ushanka that my friend form Ukraine gave me doesn't mean i am from trying to be a Ukrainian or Russian lol.. Also wearing a Chitrali topi doesn't mean i am trying to be Chitrali...

Wear what you feel is cool

yes thats fair no debate on dress codes , issue is when some foriegn fundo comes into your town and hijack our simple people on the name of religion and start issuing fatwas that wearing trousers and shirts or t shrts is un islamic. Well i have a big problem with those people

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom