pak-marine

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The silence of the faujis
By Feisal H Naqvi
Published: August 28, 2012

Pakistan’s slow-motion slide into sectarian hell has, so far, met with studied silence from all the major political players.

In the case of the PPP, the silence is mere cowardice. In the case of the PML-N and the PTI, the silence is calculated; a cold-blooded conclusion that there are seats to be gained from turning a blind eye. What is more interesting though is the silence of the khakis. Because of all institutions, it is the Army that has the most to lose. :agree:

The fact of the matter is that the armed forces are a pluralistic institution. Our officer corps includes not just Muslims of every shade but also Christians, Parsis and even Ahmadis. More importantly, while Shias form 25 per cent of Pakistan’s population, there is some evidence that they form an even larger part of the officer cadre. The Army may, therefore, be able to survive the day when Muslims refuse to obey Christians. But it will not survive the day when Sunnis refuse to obey Shias. Assuming that the Army knows this, the question arises as to why it is doing nothing. :confused: My understanding is that there are two reasons — one official, one unofficial.

The official reason is that it is not the Army’s job to determine the ideological contours of this country. Instead, that is the job of the civilian leadership.

Pardon the language but I am going to call ‘bullshit’ on that one. :eek:This country has been ruled for decades at a time by the military. Even otherwise, the military has generally been the single-most important political force in Pakistan. More importantly, while the roots of discrimination in our Constitution were introduced by Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, the reason why those seedlings of hate took hold and spread is because of General Ziaul Haq and his minions. If the Army is now troubled by sectarianism in Pakistan, it cannot wash its hands of the matter.

What, then, is the real argument?

The real argument is that the rank and file of the Army have been deliberately indoctrinated with the belief that they are warriors of Allah whose job is to keep infidels at bay. In other words, the average soldier’s patriotism has a distinctly religious tinge in which Pakistan is a fortress of Islam and its enemies are also enemies of Islam.

Now this worldview is certainly useful in motivating people to kill Indians. At the same time, it has limited utility when it comes to jihadis because the jihadis claim to be even better Muslims than us.
Till date, the Army has tried to deal with this problem not by changing its propaganda but by painting jihadis as Indian stooges. It has done so because it believes the present moment is simply too delicate for wholesale ideological retooling. In other words, the Army thinks that telling the jawans to protect a pluralistic ideal could well result in mass mutiny. At a practical level, this is undoubtedly a very powerful argument. There is also ample historical precedent for not worrying about subtleties in the middle of a war.

To take one famous example, the Bolsheviks spent 1917-1942 preaching to the world that nationalism was a bourgeois disease. However, when the Nazis invaded the Soviet Union, Marxist orthodoxy was swiftly jettisoned in favour of a full-throated nationalism and the cult of ‘Mother Russia’. This was because the average Soviet soldier was far more willing to die for his country than for the sake of class solidarity.

But does this strategy make any sense in the case of Pakistan’s current situation? Not in my view.
The whole point of a military ideology is to objectify the enemy, i.e., to reduce the opponent to an evil caricature who can be killed without compunction. Accordingly, the most important function of a military ideology is to allow differentiation between ‘us’ and ‘them’ so that the others can then be caricatured and killed.

In the case of the Germans, hyper-nationalism made sense because it allowed Joseph Stalin to portray the invaders as evil Huns. Similarly, ****** nationalism makes some sense as a military ideology if the enemy is India because Indian troops can all be lumped into the category of ‘kafirs’. However, in the case of the TTP, ****** nationalism is useless because it fails to adequately differentiate the enemy from ourselves.

Our current national ideology is a muddled mess in which we have decided both, that all citizens shall have the right of freedom of religion and that the state will decide their religion for them. This really doesn’t work.

Let me be more blunt. By stating in our Constitution that certain people (i.e. Ahmadis) do not have the right to consider themselves Muslims, we have accepted the argument that an individual’s religious identity is a political matter. It is not possible to reconcile that argument with what the rest of the world considers to be freedom of religion. Moreover, this conflict is not just theoretical: we have thoroughly legalised persecution of Ahmadis and yawned in the face of their suffering.
The net result is that there is only a difference of degree, and not a difference of principle, between the state of Pakistan and the emirate envisioned by the TTP. The state excommunicates Ahmadis. The TTP excommunicates both Ahmadis and Shias.

Pakistan, therefore, has two options. The rational option is to move in a more pluralistic direction where the state doesn’t have the right to define anyone as a non-Muslim. The politically feasible option is to continue with the status quo but to try and differentiate our particular brand of witch-hunting from the tactics of the TTP. I understand that the rational option is politically dangerous. Unfortunately, the politically feasible option doesn’t work for Shias like me. That’s because we’re likely to wind up dead under that option. Furthermore, while preserving the status quo may work in the short term, the long-term result of such cowardice is likely to be civil war.

Rationally speaking, the Army no longer has the option of staying silent. Yes, it is not the Army’s job to fix our muddled and hateful beliefs. But if the Army doesn’t at least prod the civilians into acting, this country will fall apart. When that happens, there will be no Pakistan. And no Pakistan Army either.

Published in The Express Tribune, August 29th, 2012.

This article looks to be more sectarian and anti-army instead of being constructive. The writer seems to have sunni-shia rifts when he says that the army will not survive the day when Sunnis refuse to obey Shias.

This article is a personal reflection of his negative mind about army.

It's not the military's job to solve Pakistan's social issues. The military has distanced itself from politics and it should stay that way. I feel the Army is doing a commendable job by avoiding making any political or social statements and they should keep it that way. It's about time this nation learned which way it wants to live, under civilian rule or under military rule and this time, only this time, the military is doing a great job of teaching people to live with their problems.

Ridiculous logic.

If the army interferes in civilian affairs, it gets blamed; if it doesn't, it gets blamed.

How about holding the elected civilians accountable for their jobs instead of looking for scapegoats all over the place?

Agree this should apply in all country :P

Express Tribune

Pakistan’s slow-motion slide into sectarian hell has, so far, met with studied silence from all the major political players.

In the case of the PPP, the silence is mere cowardice. In the case of the PML-N and the PTI, the silence is calculated; a cold-blooded conclusion that there are seats to be gained from turning a blind eye. What is more interesting though is the silence of the khakis. Because of all institutions, it is the Army that has the most to lose.

The fact of the matter is that the armed forces are a pluralistic institution. Our officer corps includes not just Muslims of every shade but also Christians, Parsis and even Ahmadis. More importantly, while Shias form 25 per cent of Pakistan’s population, there is some evidence that they form an even larger part of the officer cadre. The Army may, therefore, be able to survive the day when Muslims refuse to obey Christians. But it will not survive the day when Sunnis refuse to obey Shias. Assuming that the Army knows this, the question arises as to why it is doing nothing. My understanding is that there are two reasons — one official, one unofficial.

The official reason is that it is not the Army’s job to determine the ideological contours of this country. Instead, that is the job of the civilian leadership.

Pardon the language but I am going to call ‘bullshit’ on that one. This country has been ruled for decades at a time by the military. Even otherwise, the military has generally been the single-most important political force in Pakistan. More importantly, while the roots of discrimination in our Constitution were introduced by Zulfikar Ali Bhutto, the reason why those seedlings of hate took hold and spread is because of General Ziaul Haq and his minions. If the Army is now troubled by sectarianism in Pakistan, it cannot wash its hands of the matter.

What, then, is the real argument?

The real argument is that the rank and file of the Army have been deliberately indoctrinated with the belief that they are warriors of Allah whose job is to keep infidels at bay. In other words, the average soldier’s patriotism has a distinctly religious tinge in which Pakistan is a fortress of Islam and its enemies are also enemies of Islam.

Now this worldview is certainly useful in motivating people to kill Indians. At the same time, it has limited utility when it comes to jihadis because the jihadis claim to be even better Muslims than us.

Till date, the Army has tried to deal with this problem not by changing its propaganda but by painting jihadis as Indian stooges. It has done so because it believes the present moment is simply too delicate for wholesale ideological retooling. In other words, the Army thinks that telling the jawans to protect a pluralistic ideal could well result in mass mutiny. At a practical level, this is undoubtedly a very powerful argument. There is also ample historical precedent for not worrying about subtleties in the middle of a war.

To take one famous example, the Bolsheviks spent 1917-1942 preaching to the world that nationalism was a bourgeois disease. However, when the Nazis invaded the Soviet Union, Marxist orthodoxy was swiftly jettisoned in favour of a full-throated nationalism and the cult of ‘Mother Russia’. This was because the average Soviet soldier was far more willing to die for his country than for the sake of class solidarity.

But does this strategy make any sense in the case of Pakistan’s current situation? Not in my view.

The whole point of a military ideology is to objectify the enemy, i.e., to reduce the opponent to an evil caricature who can be killed without compunction. Accordingly, the most important function of a military ideology is to allow differentiation between ‘us’ and ‘them’ so that the others can then be caricatured and killed.

In the case of the Germans, hyper-nationalism made sense because it allowed Joseph Stalin to portray the invaders as evil Huns. Similarly, ****** nationalism makes some sense as a military ideology if the enemy is India because Indian troops can all be lumped into the category of ‘kafirs’. However, in the case of the TTP, ****** nationalism is useless because it fails to adequately differentiate the enemy from ourselves.

Our current national ideology is a muddled mess in which we have decided both, that all citizens shall have the right of freedom of religion and that the state will decide their religion for them. This really doesn’t work.

Let me be more blunt. By stating in our Constitution that certain people (i.e. Ahmadis) do not have the right to consider themselves Muslims, we have accepted the argument that an individual’s religious identity is a political matter. It is not possible to reconcile that argument with what the rest of the world considers to be freedom of religion. Moreover, this conflict is not just theoretical: we have thoroughly legalised persecution of Ahmadis and yawned in the face of their suffering.

The net result is that there is only a difference of degree, and not a difference of principle, between the state of Pakistan and the emirate envisioned by the TTP. The state excommunicates Ahmadis. The TTP excommunicates both Ahmadis and Shias.

Pakistan, therefore, has two options. The rational option is to move in a more pluralistic direction where the state doesn’t have the right to define anyone as a non-Muslim. The politically feasible option is to continue with the status quo but to try and differentiate our particular brand of witch-hunting from the tactics of the TTP. I understand that the rational option is politically dangerous. Unfortunately, the politically feasible option doesn’t work for Shias like me. That’s because we’re likely to wind up dead under that option. Furthermore, while preserving the status quo may work in the short term, the long-term result of such cowardice is likely to be civil war. Rationally speaking, the Army no longer has the option of staying silent. Yes, it is not the Army’s job to fix our muddled and hateful beliefs. But if the Army doesn’t at least prod the civilians into acting, this country will fall apart. When that happens, there will be no Pakistan. And no Pakistan Army either.

I feel the author is a bit confused about the role of the military in curbing sectarian violence. He wants the Army to prod civilian government in the right direction but I think it is the army which needs to be pushed in the right direction. We all know how and why the military unleashed monsters like Malik Ishaq, Hafiz Saeed etc. in the mid 90s. The Army used sectarian violence to weaken civilian governments. Saudi Arabia financed these anti-shia extremist groups in their struggle against the shias and our security establishment was happy to play along as it was getting 'holy' warriors it could use in Kashmir and Afghanistan. Civilain governments in the 90s tried to deal with the menace of sectarianism but military made sure it wouldnt succeed. Even now we see little change in the attitude of our military establishment - the Shia tribes in Kurram have been punished by the Army for last twenty years because they refused to be part of the game the security establishment is playing in FATA and Afghanistan. Our Army has been busy harrassing its own citizens, so am not surprised over its silence on Shia persecution, because indirectly, it is a party to these killings. If the Army sincerely wants an end to these killings it needs to change its mindset. It needs to change the narrative which it is feeding its officers and jawans. If some institutional changes are not implemented, i don't see any hope. And in response to the author’s argument as to why Shia officers in the army are silent, I would like to quote Smedley Butler (a Major General in US Army and at the time of his death the most decorated Marine in U.S. history) “Like all the members of the military profession, I never had a thought of my own until I left the service. My mental faculties remained in suspended animation while I obeyed the orders of higher-ups. This is typical with everyone in the military service.”

This article looks to be more sectarian and anti-army instead of being constructive. The writer seems to have sunni-shia rifts when he says that the army will not survive the day when Sunnis refuse to obey Shias.

you got it completly wrong , he is saying what if a sunni junior officers refuse to obey senior shia officer ??

The author of the article fails to realize that if the officers are Shia then their silence on the issue is just as much to blame as the silence of the Sunnis. You would think the officers would have more influence so it is either they themselves do not care or as someone put it earlier they are just following orders not to care.

It's not the military's job to solve Pakistan's social issues. The military has distanced itself from politics and it should stay that way. I feel the Army is doing a commendable job by avoiding making any political or social statements and they should keep it that way. It's about time this nation learned which way it wants to live, under civilian rule or under military rule and this time, only this time, the military is doing a great job of teaching people to live with their problems.

@ Icarus,
You are absolutely correct in the underlined part of your post. While the Armed Forces do not carry any responsibility to solve the country's social issues; the Armed Forces has to be extremely vigilant not to allow the country's social issues to percolate into its body, its rank and file. Let us not forget that the Military draws its men (and women) from the very society where such issues may exist or even be rife. If that is the case; then the Military seeks to create its own culture, ethos and philosophy and ingrain that into its body. Which certainly must be the case with the Pak Armed Forces.
But if sections of Armed Forces itself; influential sections in Command or Leadership positions are permeated (to less or more extent) with the social issues; then what??

That is precisely what the Feisal H Naqvi is writing about and seriously cautioning against. At the present time, Gen. Kiyani certainly gives the clear-cut impression that he is cognisant of this threat and vigilant about it.
But was that always the case in the times of his predecessors? Were they all able to efficiently "firewall" the Forces against these influences? Actually, the writer in his piece even harks back to certain personalities who had no compunctions in incorporating some of these influences. Have the effects of those influences disappeared now?
Icarus, you know very well (as I do) that the Forces are an institution with a continuing basis or raison d'etre. If that gets modified or altered for any appreciable period of time; then the "pull-back" is difficult. Those are some things that deserve serious thought. Or else one may see an environment where Men in Uniform will be prone to suborn their Professionalism to considerations arising out of Social, Religious or even Political Credo. And that will spell the death of the Institution itself.

The Forces need not reform society in any way, but they just have to ensure that they themselves remain impervious to the issues that plague the society around them. There is no escape from that.

Icarus, as a Professional; you will understand the grave import of my submission.

There is no military solution for civil problem...

Pakistan has moved beyond the point of civil reforms...... remember the blasephemy incidents.......assasination for trying to change the law.................thats how much violence is used to suppress others ..............As the author said...Military is one fo the most viable option left

Pakistan has moved beyond the point of civil reforms...... remember the blasephemy incidents.......assasination for trying to change the law.................thats how much violence is used to suppress others ..............As the author said...Military is one fo the most viable option left

No, the military must be kept in the barracks. The problem is the horrible leaders like Zardari it must be fixed by removing fools from power.

Army needs reform.It has to de-radicalized from...lets start from changing its motto.

No need for reform in the army, the radicals are dismissed whenever found.

Gen Kayani is doing an excellent job right now... He cannot be blamed for Army's past actions or failures !! Now its an democracy, the onus is on the people and politicians to bring about the change they need !!!
my idea is to change the study material in schools to secular level :)

Ridiculous logic.

If the army interferes in civilian affairs, it gets blamed; if it doesn't, it gets blamed.

How about holding the elected civilians accountable for their jobs instead of looking for scapegoats all over the place?

Sir you may be the ex army person, But can you say that army is not responsible of that, what is mentioned above. I agree with you his point of view looks more anti army but he motioned it army cannot take a side when 65 years of country rule, they ruled more than half of it. Should they not take responsibility?

Gen Kayani is doing an excellent job right now... He cannot be blamed for Army's past actions or failures !! Now its an democracy, the onus is on the people and politicians to bring about the change they need !!!
my idea is to change the study material in schools to secular level :)

Yes, education is key all private institutions must be seized by the GOP and made free for the public, expenses paid by the GOP. Grade school can teach Urdu to all the children and from 6th grade on it should be English medium for all students.

Sir you may be the ex army person, But can you say that army is not responsible of that, what is mentioned above. I agree with you his point of view looks more anti army but he motioned it army cannot take a side when 65 years of country rule, they ruled more than half of it. Should they not take responsibility?

They should make statements condemning this at the very least and take on the militants responsible but they are NOT responsible for changing the social mindset of the people. The onus is on the GOP to fix the education system so that the children of the future are not susceptible to bigotry.

Back
Top Bottom