What's new

The sad irony of today's fatal MiG-21 crash

MiG-21 Bison should not be anywhere near the frontline
USSR aircraft operated under two separate branches,
1. VVS (airforce )
2. PVO (air defence force which operated Mig-25,31 etc)
these fighters should be replaced or relegated to air defence duties.

Huge land forces can help make up for it/balance the disadvantage in airpower out? just wondering.
My argument is that the the Opposing airforce would disrupt their supply lines and you would be forced to retreat due to lack of fuel (essential for modern war ), ammunition or get surrounded.

With over 250 SU-30s and over 100 Mirage-2000s and MiG-29s combined plus 100 + upgraded Jaguars.....how is the IAF lacking modern equipment.
As per Indian government nearly half the fleet is not operational at a given time. Maintenance is big challenge for IaF, thats what happens when you fly 7 different types of combat aircraft. There is famous saying for such situation “Amateur talks about strategy, professionals talks about logistics”.

I never understand that why do we have such a high casualty rate. Generally, the pilots of Western Countries survive more than us South Asian nations when fighter jet crashes. Or maybe it is just a wrong perception on my part.

Hi,

It is due to BAD TRAINING / UNWRITTEN RULE OF TRYING TO SAVE THE AIRCRAFT TILL THE END.

Desperately trying to save the machine to show off as a hero---.

Failing to know the point of NO RETURN.

And the worst of all---old aircraft---mechanism malfunctions and you have nowhere to go but down.

Last edited:
Hi,

It is due to BAD TRAINING.

Desperately trying to save the machine to show off as a hero---.

Failing to know the point of NO RETURN.

he wouldn't have to save the machine if indians don't try to show off at every opportunity in the first place.

Any suspected cause of accident surfaced so far? Did pilot make any attempt to eject or reported aircraft malfunction before crash?
Given note of the maintaining radio contact with the pilot to the last second, I guess it was partial/no ejection due to rockets in the ejection chair failing, or not igniting at all.

No wonder ejection cartridges turning to goo in Indian climate if they didn't change them since seventies.

What is baffling is the fact as why IAF still continues to hold on to MiG-21s.....it had already retired the 23 and 27 but still operating the 21s.....considering their service record, 21s should have gone first and in any case, IAF could have easily replaced them by say acquiring some even used Mirage-2000s.
PAF was quoted 60 million a pop for 59 Armie de aire M2K5s in 2002. That another 3.6 billion and perhaps 5 years of integration and repairs. That does not seem to be the answer. IAF has no other choice than to induct Tejas and improve it as it gets integrated over the next 5 years.
A

PAF was quoted 60 million a pop for 59 Armie de aire M2K5s in 2002. That another 3.6 billion and perhaps 5 years of integration and repairs. That does not seem to be the answer. IAF has no other choice than to induct Tejas and improve it as it gets integrated over the next 5 years.
A
Maybe they were brand new or some very high specs....as i said they could shop around for used airframes as an interim measure.

If India grounds all MiG-21s, the price of such move will be a lot less than losing highly skilled pilots every few months.

The tragedy of this crash is that the pilot was not able to eject. This is like putting salt on the wound - not just the plane lost but the more expensive pilot too.

Back
Top Bottom