What's new

"The Rafale Deal Should Be Scrapped And Renegotiated"

TimeTraveller

Reaction score
Country
India
The BJP’s stormy petrel Subramanian Swamy has for long been publicly opposed to the $22 billion Rafale deal, to the point of even suggesting that there was more to the UPA government’s choice than met the eye. In February 2012, The Sunday Times of London quoted Swamy as saying he had initially been told the Eurofighter had won the deal to supply 126 fighter jets but that it all changed after the entry of a veteran French consultant, Bernard Baiocco, an ex-employee of the defence firm Thales, which contributes radar and electronic systems to Rafale. “Baiocco was here (in Delhi) and he went around, and everything changed after that,” Swamy had said, explaining the UPA’s sudden change of heart. With the Modi government poised to indicate its choice, Swamy spoke to Pranay Sharma. Excerpts:

What do you think of the Rafale deal?

It stinks right through. The deal should be frozen or scrapped and negotiations for the MMRCA should begin afresh.

Why do you say this?

There are a number of reasons but foremost Rafale was finalised not through commercial negotiation; it was done by private conversations between Sonia Gandhi, her sisters and Carla Bruni, wife of then French president Nicolas Sarkozy.

Your other objections...

No country outside France has so far bought the Rafale. Some countries had shortlisted it, but rejected it later. We must find out why they did so. We must also know why it is so much more expensive than the other competitors. With the kind of money India has pledged to buy the planes, it can actually buy over the entire company that makes them. Moreover, there are also reports that it is trying to win the contract by giving a subcontract to an influential Indian industrialist. In addition, its performance in terms of fuel consumption etc was much higher and unimpressive during the recent Libyan campaign.

So what should be done about the Rafale deal?

I had written to the UPA defence minister A.K. Antony citing reports and the information on the Sonia Gandhi family’s link with Carla Bruni. Being an honorable man sensitive about his image and reputation, Antony had frozen negotiations with Rafale. I am not sure why Arun Jaitley decided to defreeze it.

The BJP’s in power. Will you ask for Rafale deal to be scrapped?

We have a party meeting coming up in a few days. I will raise the issue not only with defence minister Jaitley but also with PM Narendra Modi. I’ll definitely bring it to their notice.

I think rafale is a good plane and will be very much useful to india..:whistle:

defense geopolitique et geostrategique.jpg

Last edited:
looks hot!!!!

We should give it a Indian name like "Garuda".

Guys i have a doubt, why can't su30MKI/MIG-29, can play the role of RAFALE?, reason i found in different threads are only "we need a fighter in medium range" is it a convincing answer?. Really want to know, What Rafale is going to offer beyond SU30MKI??

Thanks in Advance.

Last edited:
Guys i have a doubt, why can't su30MKI/MIG-29, can play the role of RAFALE?, reason i found in different threads are only "we need a fighter in medium range" is it a convincing answer?. Really want to know, What Rafale is going to offer beyond SU30MKI??

Thanks in Advance.

Rafale rcs is much low .The fighters having rcs less than rafale are F22 ,F35 and EF typhoon.Rsfale can used on behind the enemy lines for SEAD ops.But Su30 is a fighter with huge RCS that can easily figure out in enemy radar.
Plus Rafale is quite advanced is than Su30

On topic :IAF already prepared for this .Swamy cant do anything about it.

Last edited:

Thanks in Advance.
Rafale rcs is much low .The fighters having rcs less than rafale are F22 ,F35 and EF typhoon.Rsfale can used on behind the enemy lines for SEAD ops.But Su30 is a fighter with huge RCS that can easily figure out in enemy radar.

On topic :IAF already prepared for this .Swamy cant anything about it.
To add- the MiG-29UPG will be out of service in 15 years (IAF needs a fighter to be around for the next 30) and the MKIs are horrendously expensive to fly, maintain and support throughout its entire life span. Another 126-200 MKIs would deplete the IAF's annual budget extensively and aren't even that much cheaper (if at all) to buy anymore ($80-110 MN each ).

The Rafale's are very very easy to maintain and comparable cheap to fly and have a very high availability rate as compared to the MKI.

Thanks in Advance.
MKI is no more cheap(~100 million/unit). and Rafale's availability rate is way better than MKI while Rafale beats mki in avionics too.

Swamy cannot do anything about this now.
Rafale is a good aircraft the only thing government should do is try to negotiate price if they can.

On topic :IAF already prepared for this .Swamy cant do anything about it.

How lower the rcs is and what is its real significance?
How can you say that mki cannot do dead inside the enemy territory?

Swamy cannot do anything about this now.
Rafale is a good aircraft the only thing government should do is try to negotiate price if they can.

Whatever Swamy can do anything or cannot do anything but Indian present govt has to do that.
They have to stop Rafale.

What do you think of the Rafale deal?

It stinks right through. The deal should be frozen or scrapped and negotiations for the MMRCA should begin afresh.

Start the entire MMRCA process again from the beginning? Won't that take another decade? o_O

Back
Top Bottom