What's new

The most powerful Dynasty of 15th century India

V
Yeah betrayal which cost the war.The hindu army was winning when the treacherous nature of Muslim Army betrayed.That's not bravery or courage but backstabbing Taqiyya at its best you couldn't win in a 1vs1 battle you talk of bravery & courage hahaha. The hindu army would have won if they didnt give asylum and employed the Muslims in their army.That was a mistake and we shall see its never repeated. Moral of story was they shouldnt have trusted a Muslim army.
Actually at this stage, maratha left flank was totally destroyed with death of jankoji and fleeing of holkar. Maratha's centre was getting slaughtered when bhauo and wishwarrao got killed while right flank was retreating after collapse of gardi battallions. Mercenaries did what mercenaries do. Speaking of muslims, entire gardi unit got wiped out, fighting so "hardly" and "bravely" for marathas. In my eyes, they were traitors and stupid. I have watched that comical "the great maratha" series by sanjay khan, funny that gardi was so hyped.

Because they were not united nor did they grasp the destruction & horror a barbarian Islamic army would do to Hindu armies who normally had war ethics and who never harmed civilian population. Most of North Indian kings were a disunited bunch they hardly have any alliances to quell invaders.South was more united as single unit.Vijayanagara Empire.They had a practice of selecting the best chiefs to lead territories.That ensured loyalty and unity as a bunch.
Well this was during late medieval period. But even during ancient and early medieval period the rulers of the Deccan were successful in repulsing foreign invaders. For example during ancient period the Scythian invaders easily conquered Afghanistan and Pakistan but when they tried to invade Peninsular India the Scythian invaders were defeated by the Satavahana Dynasty.
During the early medieval period the Arabs also conquered Afghanistan and Pakistan. Later the Arab invaders attempted to invade the Deccan but they were destroyed by the Chalukya Dynasty of Peninsular India. And lets be honest its not like that southern rulers were united among themselves. The Western Chalukya rulers and Chola rulers fought each other until the collapse of both Empires.
But its true that the Marathas from the Deccan were united while the Rajputs fought each other and thats why the Marathas were able to defeat the Mughal Dynasty and not the Rajputs.

what was the reason why a powerful army of Vijayanagar lost the battle of Talikota?

Many historians say it was because their Muslim regiments, numbering 140,000 in total rebelled during the height of the battle and destroyed much of their rearguard. All of a sudden they were besieged from all sides, despite this however the real end of the battle came when the King was himself captured, executed, and his head put on display which led to a total rout.

Not really. His statement doesn't make much sense. According to his logic the Delhi Sultanate was not successful because it was defeated by Timur in the 14th century and the Mughal Dynasty was not successful because it was defeated by the Marathas in the 18th century.

It makes sense because of the title of the thread. It is questionable whether they were the most powerful but it is not questionable that they were successful at the time.

His ethnic origins are unknown. He also could have been Turkic. The rulers named themselves after Bahman, a legendary Iranian king.

Afghans are also influenced by Persian culture being eastern Iranics themselves, being named after Bahman then would not be proof for Turkish origin.

@AUSTERLITZ maybe you should do a battle report if you get the chance.

Last edited:
Many historians say it was because their Muslim regiments, numbering 140,000 in total rebelled during the height of the battle and destroyed much of their rearguard. All of a sudden they were besieged from all sides, despite this however the real end of the battle came when the King was himself captured, executed, and his head put on display which led to a total rout.

It makes sense because of the title of the thread. It is questionable whether they were the most powerful but it is not questionable that they were successful at the time.

Infact it was right few writers have mentioned it their books but it was not rebellion but was a betrayal of few muslim soldiers..and the ultimate was capturing of Aliya ramaraya ( son in law of Sri Krishnadevaraya) that led to defeat..it is said that ramaraya was beheaded and his head was paraded every year for the next 150 years after the battle of talikote....

Infact it was right few writers have mentioned it their books but it was not rebellion but was a betrayal of few muslim soldiers..and the ultimate was capturing of Aliya ramaraya ( son in law of Sri Krishnadevaraya) that led to defeat..it is said that ramaraya was beheaded and his head was paraded every year for the next 150 years after the battle of talikote....

The parading part is probably fiction, paraded by whom? I have not read that anywhere. Also I was referring to Ramaraya but I called him King since he was defacto ruling for over a decade up to that point.

It is said that during a battle with one of the sultan of ( guessing : it may be bijapur sultan or sultan of golconda not sure) was defeated and was brought in front of ramaraya and the sultan was so arrogant that made ramaray to make lick sandals which he was wearing ,this was the grudge behind of parading of ramaraya head every year....
i dont have links as these were written by local writers.....and are in kannada language...
it is also mentioned that sultan died after few years....

i have read these almost 4 years back.....

Actually at this stage, maratha left flank was totally destroyed with death of jankoji and fleeing of holkar. Maratha's centre was getting slaughtered when bhauo and wishwarrao got killed while right flank was retreating after collapse of gardi battallions. Mercenaries did what mercenaries do. Speaking of muslims, entire gardi unit got wiped out, fighting so "hardly" and "bravely" for marathas. In my eyes, they were traitors and stupid. I have watched that comical "the great maratha" series by sanjay khan, funny that gardi was so hyped.

Says it all really

V
Yeah betrayal which cost the war.The hindu army was winning when the treacherous nature of Muslim Army betrayed.That's not bravery or courage but backstabbing Taqiyya at its best you couldn't win in a 1vs1 battle you talk of bravery & courage hahaha. The hindu army would have won if they didnt give asylum and employed the Muslims in their army.That was a mistake and we shall see its never repeated. Moral of story was they shouldnt have trusted a Muslim army.

Your a joke not willing to accept reality

not willing to accept defeat and giving excuses about why the Maratha's lost

Bro,Many things were involved But India Could have never been won without inside support.The only Hindu Empire was Vijayanagara Empire for,200 years we protected it when all perished to Mughals we expected better.In later skirmishes a Brahmin commander was captured but he was let off after "prayaschitha" instead of death. Do you know 5+ Muslim kings joined to take us on.What was sad was the presence of Hindu brethren fighting against us Maharatta They learnt their mistake in 3rd battle of Panipat when Rohillas attacked them from behind as and that lead yo their fall.Karma is a Bitch isn't it?.North India was never a united bunch so each king conspired against another letting outside Invaders invade.We in south were United Bunch but we saw our own Hindu traitors fighting against our own.The only reason Hinduism still lives is because of us because we stalled the march of Islam in India as a united force.While Prithviraj chauhan had other Hindu kings allying with ghazni.
His is a sad journey Moral:-Never forget to execute your opponent in war after he has won

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom