What's new

The MASH Heros You’ve Never Heard Of

Local_Legend

Reaction score
Country
India
Is there anyone, anywhere who hasn’t heard of MASH?

When its TV run ended in 1983, the final show was the most-watched television episode in history.

But there’s a remarkable MASH unit hardly anyone here knows of. What a pity. Their raw courage is right out of the most harrowing war movie.

Except that the heros in this real-life saga never came within a million miles of Hollywood. They were Indians … as in, India.

They were members of the 60th Para Field Ambulance … medics who were also parachutists, who jumped into combat alongside the fighting infantry. These MASH men of the 60th were not the boozy, skirt-chasing, wise-cracking cynics of the TV show.

When the Korean War broke out, recently-independent India opted not to send combat forces, but instead would contribute a crack medical team … the 60th Para, which had served in Burma against the Japanese, It was commanded by a veteran, Lieut-Col A.G. Rangaraj, reputedly the first member of the Indian army to earn his parachutists wings, earlier in World War 2. (The photos below are from India’s official account of the 60th’s Korean War experiences).

rangaraj.png

The 60th Para arrived in Korea in Nov, 1950, composed of 346 men, including four combat surgeons, two anaesthesiologists and a dentist.

When the Chinese swarmed through UN lines in November 1950, the 60th had to evacuate its position. But they had no transport and were reluctant to abandon their medical equipment. They stumbled across an ancient steam locomotive, formed bucket brigades to fill the boilers with water, and loaded up the train. Two soldiers (with zero previous train experience), got it all running and chugged across the last bridge south before it was blown. They don’t teach that in medical school or army staff colleges..

Colonel Rangaraj’s logic was: they were specifically trained for mountain operations such as they found in Korea, and had first class equipment for such work. It would have been a great pity to leave it all behind. “We would have been of little use without it,” he said later, “ and could not afford to lose it.”

The Indian medics stuck with the troops they were treating during the horrific rearguard fighting that winter. Three times in three days they set up and then closed down their dressing stations as they tried to find safety, refusing to abandon the wounded..

Later, in March ’51, in the second biggest airborne operation in the war, Operation Tomahawk, a dozen medics of the 60th parachuted in behind the lines with 4,000 US troops. Rangaraj was among them.

Casualties were heavy. A U.S.commander said: “I was immediately struck by the (Indians’) efficiency. That small unit, adapted for an airborne role, has carried out 103 operations. which is quite outstanding for that type of unit … probably 50 of those operated (on) owed their lives to those men.”

in-combat2.jpg

The freezing wounded were lying in the open. The Indian medics dug trenches to shelter them and covered them with parachute silk to keep them warm.

It was typical 60th Para valour. In September, 1951, while attached to Commonwealth troops, they treated 448 casualties in six days of fighting. A month later they evacuated (under fire) another 150 wounded. In many other clashes later they were still in the thick of it. The Indians saved hundreds of wounded.

chopper.jpg

In all, they treated about 200,000 wounded. … which included 2,300 field medical operations … and in the meantime, also trained local Korean doctors and nurses.

The 60th Para received many decorations from their own country, and from South Korea, the UN, a US Bronze Star, and a unit citation from Douglas MacArthur. India also issued a postage stamp in tribute to their heroism. (Has Canada ever made such a gesture specifically honouring any of our army’s Korean feats?)

stamp.jpg

The 60th served in Korea for three and a half years, until February 1954, the longest single tenure of any unit in the entire war.

It is quite an outfit with quite the history. Wounded Canadian Korean vets, some from Kapyong, have told me of their great admiration for the Indian medical teams who helped save their lives. It says something about the myopic way we teach history that this unit’s thrilling story is so little known.

While I’m at it, there’s some disconnect here. Why do so many trained Indian doctors who move to Canada, find it such a tough task getting their expertise recognized? …. Just asking.

https://kapyongkorea.wordpress.com/2012/06/12/the-mash-heros-youve-never-heard-of/

Thanks for sharing this beautiful story.
I've seen all 11 seasons of MASH and even though it was a dramatization of event in Korean peninsula of what is known as first battle of Cold war, the life and times of medical crew there, has message for all.
I never knew India was part of the those operations and the high praise it earned from field commanders.
Its really pleasant to know, we have our own Hawkeye Pierce.

@Levina @gslv @nair @PARIKRAMA @jbgt90

Last edited:
Yeah read about this , any one who is interested in the AI or at least what happened in the IA after independence should read this book called "Indian army after independence" By Maj K C Parval . Highly recommend it .
This is one book which gives a unique insight of things as they were from a soldiers perspective .

I too have seen the most of the Season for MASH, but not seen the last season and don't want to end (The last few season were really good) , they had a few indians extras on the show if you looked carefully :)

1st-commonwealth-division-representatives.jpg

I did know that Indian Medics was involved in the war , But didn't know they were 60thpara

I too have seen the most of the Season for MASH, but not seen the last season and don't want to end (The last few season were really good) , they had a few indians extras on the show if you looked carefully :)

1st-commonwealth-division-representatives.jpg

I did know that Indian Medics was involved in the war , But didn't know they were 60thpara
There was an episode called the UN in the last season where an Indian officer was shown , and yeah he had a red beret.

There was an episode called the UN in the last season where an Indian officer was shown , and yeah he had a red beret.
Yes, "U.N., the Night and the Music"

Major Lal portrayed by Kavi raaz (credited in titles), was a part of 3 member UN team that visits 4077.
He makes everyone including CO Colonel Potter to take up Yoga!

Major Lal portrayed by Kavi raaz (credited in titles), was a part of 3 member UN team that visits 4077.
Did you know that the guy who portrayed the officer from Sweden was infact the real life husband of Loretta swit ?

Did you know that the guy who portrayed the officer from Sweden was infact the real life husband of Loretta swit ?
No I didn't!!
Hotlips had a thing going for Swedish officer, before he mentioned an unfortunate event in his life.
But i think best part of that episode was the british officer and the conversation that followed with Major Winchester. His reaction when he realizes that The British officer is actually a son of Butler, is really hilarious.

I will try to get the episode... But A Earlier one has a Sikh Soldier as an extra in the background :)

No I didn't!!
Hotlips had a thing going for Swedish officer, before he mentioned an unfortunate event in his life.
But i think best part of that episode was the british officer and the conversation that followed with Major Winchester. His reaction when he realizes that The British officer is actually a son of Butler, is really hilarious.
If you like wordplay in English , may i suggest Yes minister and yes prime minister. there was even a Hindi series made on it called ji mantriji.

I recently saw the entire series again with my daughter over a long weekend. was introducing her to it .
Also Happy days is a great series too , see if you can get it .

If you like wordplay in English , may i suggest Yes minister and yes prime minister.
Yes Prime Minister used to be broadcasted on DD many years back on Sunday Nights. I was too young then to understand British accent and my mum used to help me out.
there was even a Hindi series made on it called ji mantriji.
I've watched it! Late Farookh Shaikh and Jayant Kriplani, both such fine actors. I've vague memories of one particular episode, where an African leader had to visit New Delhi and his country tries to diplomatically blackmail India by issuing some sort of condemnation statement, putting PM in a tight spot. In the end, cunningness of his secretary sees him get through. Kriplani at the very end, while sipping scotch tells another secretary, as to who runs the show!

Yes Prime Minister used to be broadcasted on DD many years back on Sunday Nights. I was too young then to understand British accent and my mum used to help me out.

I've watched it! Late Farookh Shaikh and Jayant Kriplani, both such fine actors. I've vague memories of one particular episode, where an African leader had to visit New Delhi and his country tries to diplomatically blackmail India by issuing some sort of condemnation statement, putting PM in a tight spot. In the end, cunningness of his secretary sees him get through. Kriplani at the very end, while sipping scotch tells another secretary, as to who runs the show!
Its plots were completely copied from yes minister .:)

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom