What's new

The language only three men speak

dexter

Reaction score
Country
Pakistan

Badeshi used to be the common languages of a small mountain village in northern Pakistan - now there are only three people left who can speak it.

Probably a remnant of the successor languages of Gandhara. From the below phrases it seems closer to say Potohari or Hindko than to iranic Pashto.

May grot khekti - I have eaten

Meen naao Rahim Gul thi - My name is Rahim Gul

Meen Badeshi jibe aasa - I speak Badeshi

Theen haal khale thi? - How do you do?

Ishu kaale heem kam ikthi - There is not much snowfall this year

I think Pakistan should take some words from this language and name roads, institutions, missiles, ships etc. To at least show that Pakistan appreciates all her languages large or small.

We should protect this language from going extinct by making a few dozen students on lucrative scholarships to learn this language from these three people before it is too late and simultaneously documenting this language, its alphabets, grammar, phonetics, semantics and script.

He meant .. a homogeneous society.. like Turkey.. with its armenians,circessians etc who speak Turkish today..
Asalamu Alaikum

We can all speak Urdu, almost all of us follow some version of Islam, genetically we are all fairly similar, we all live in the same land and most of us look pretty similar too.

What more similarities could somebody ask for? This is sufficient in my eyes. We just need to purge ethnic nationalism from the society.

Back
Top Bottom