What's new

The Indian Army's First ALH Rudra Armed Copter

I salute Myth_Buster_1....you are an Asset. Keep trolling...

Hoping we get to see some pics of the inside at some point!

DSC08287-728974.JPG

DSC08288-731491.JPG

DSC08290-736947.JPG

DSC08291-738849.JPG

DSC08289-733758.JPG

Source: Up Close With The Indian Army's First Rudra

Build quality is crap when you go by aesthetic looks and finishing touches.

Can someone explain why the riveting is done in (what it seems to me is a ) random way (next to the pilot's door)? Someone from engineering / technical field kindly answer. (NO TROLLING PLEASE)

Can someone explain why the riveting is done in (what it seems to me is a ) random way (next to the pilot's door)? Someone from engineering / technical field kindly answer. (NO TROLLING PLEASE)

The aluminum rivets for aircraft construction are made slightly larger than the holes where they should be inserted and cooled with dry ice (solid CO2) before settling. If the hole diameter is 4,500 mm, which must have a diameter @ 23.0o C rivet so that its diameter is equal to the hole when cooled to-78.0oC, which is the temperature of dry ice.

File:Riverting_team2.jpg

Riveting team working on the cockpit shell of a C-47 transport at the plant of North American Aviation. The woman on the left operates an air hammer, while the man on the right holds a bucking bar

The aluminum rivets for aircraft construction are made slightly larger than the holes where they should be inserted and cooled with dry ice (solid CO2) before settling. If the hole diameter is 4,500 mm, which must have a diameter @ 23.0o C rivet so that its diameter is equal to the hole when cooled to-78.0oC, which is the temperature of dry ice.

File:Riverting_team2.jpg

HI Rangila,

My question was why is it that the riveting on the Rudra (near the pilot's door) as can be seen in the pictures posted by T.R (pls refer to post no. 32, second picture is irregular .
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-qHt4rKz2GS4/URIxKwVnXvI/AAAAAAAAS3c/lkU2HTz-P2M/s1600/DSC08288-731491.JPG
We don't see a proper parallel riveting especially on the TOP RIGHT SIDE of the picture.

Care to enlighten me on this aspect as well? Thanks in advance.

Regards
Dandpatta

(NOTE TO ALL POSTERS - repeat - no trolling please, question is purely on technical grounds for enlightenment purpose)

Build quality is crap when you go by aesthetic looks and finishing touches.

^^ An observation we laypersons aren't blessed with. For our better understanding, could you pinpoint the finishing touches / aesthetics that you find wanting of improvements? Thanks in advance.

HI Rangila,

My question was why is it that the riveting on the Rudra (near the pilot's door) as can be seen in the pictures posted by T.R (pls refer to post no. 32, second picture is irregular .
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-qHt4rKz2GS4/URIxKwVnXvI/AAAAAAAAS3c/lkU2HTz-P2M/s1600/DSC08288-731491.JPG
We don't see a proper parallel riveting especially on the TOP RIGHT SIDE of the picture.

Care to enlighten me on this aspect as well? Thanks in advance.

Regards
Dandpatta

(NOTE TO ALL POSTERS - repeat - no trolling please, question is purely on technical grounds for enlightenment purpose)

^^ An observation we laypersons aren't blessed with. For our better understanding, could you pinpoint the finishing touches / aesthetics that you find wanting of improvements? Thanks in advance.

All aluminum aircraft bodies get riveted, why?
Because its cheaper, sturdy, safe, fatigue resistant.
Welded joints require Rontengen rays inspection whereas in the case of rivet only eyeball inspection will do.
Welding requires special (eyes and hands) cordination. You dont want to solder already soldered piece (overlap) even by few millimeters. Wrong welding can create crystallization of material.

Rangila - my question wasn't about why the chopper doesn't have welding or why aluminum aircraft get riveted. I specifically showed you the link to the picture where the riveting job (to me) is irregular . It is not a perfect parallel riveting job if you see the pictures. So this is my last attempt in asking again - IS IRREGULAR / NON PARALLEL riveting a NORM or is it accepted as we can see in the case of the RUDRA.

Rangile - this is what I meant ... look at the picture below.

Rangila - my question wasn't about why the chopper doesn't have welding or why aluminum aircraft get riveted. I specifically showed you the link to the picture where the riveting job (to me) is irregular . It is not a perfect parallel riveting job if you see the pictures. So this is my last attempt in asking again - IS IRREGULAR / NON PARALLEL riveting a NORM or is it accepted as we can see in the case of the RUDRA.

Rangile - this is what I meant ... look at the picture below.

Might be due to hand drilled holes and riveting..Desi style :lol:

Like i said, Indians are pathological deluded and liars.
You have stolen 90+ % of western involvements in making of Dhruv and bluntly labeled it "indigenous"! Thats like hatching kivi eggs in India and calling it a "indigenous" bird of india. lol

We may be liars but we don't read a book of one.

I can understand that you are calling Rudra a western product due to its western components.
Consider this, when an engineer builds a building, the bricks come from a firm, cement from another firm , steel from yet another source and so on. But the credit of that building goes to the engineer who designed it. We say the engineer "Built" it.

Same is the case here, no matter where the parts came from, its an Indian Product because its us who "designed it" i.e, decided where and how to put the parts.

consider this:

HAL Marut was India's first jet aircraft, but we do not consider it as an Indigenous product because it was designed by a german team headed by Kurt Tank in HAL.

800px-HAL-HF-24-Marut.jpg

Also , HAL Ajeet , which was a Indian heavy modification of Gnat is also not considered an Indigenous product as the design is ultimately not Indian

300px-56-BMTC_Flight_cropped.JPG

But HAL Rudra is an indigenous product , as the design is Indian and is made in india

If you still feel that using of foreign parts makes Rudra not Indian,

Neither is the F/A-18 as it contains Indian parts!

Neither is the p-8i an American product as it contains Indian parts!

Neither is the Boeing 777 An Amerian product as it conatins indian parts!

That's what I was saying.

HAL based Rudra on Dhruv which is designed by HAL.

Hence both Dhruv and Rudra are indigenous products as they are designed in house, even if they have a large percentage of foreign made parts.

Also please see post number 28

Back
Top Bottom