What's new

The Guardian view on Xinjiang’s detention camps: not just China’s shame

Get Ya Wig Split

Reaction score
Country
United States
The Guardian view on Xinjiang’s detention camps: not just China’s shame
Vast numbers of Uighurs and other Muslim minorities are being held in detention. The world must speak out

1909.jpg

A
n “A-list” comedian, well-known singers, scholars, pensioners and civil servants – the list of prisoners grows. As many as 1.5 million Uighurs and other Muslims are or have been held in camps in China’s Xinjiang region without charge or trial, a leading researcher believes. Virtually no Uighur family is untouched, he says.

China has moved from denying the camps to describing them as vocational training centres, comparable to boarding schools. In the run-up to last week’s meeting of the UN human rights council in Geneva, it invited diplomats from selected countries on tours and choreographed visits for a few journalists, who were greeted with people singing If You’re Happy and You Know It, Clap Your Hands. According to Beijing, these are students receiving free accommodation, skills training, and lessons in Chinese language and law.

This doesn’t explain the barbed wire, the purchases of stun guns or the accounts of political indoctrination, punishment for speaking anything but Mandarin, harsh conditions, and abuses amounting in some cases to torture. People have reportedly been detained for having verses from the Qur’an on their phone or family members abroad. There are suggestions that more inmates are now leaving the camps, but perhaps for house arrest or forced labour. Meanwhile, all-encompassing surveillance and intense repression envelop the region.

Beijing believes these measures are needed to curb the violence that has plagued Xinjiang – and that they are working. A Chinese official in Geneva said that thanks to the training centres, there had not been a single terrorist attack in more than two years. In Beijing, the region’s governor – its most senior Uighur official – suggested that numbers are likely to dwindle and that the centres will disappear “if one day our society doesn’t need them”. Few Uighurs take comfort from those words. Relatives overseas, who once feared that speaking out would worsen the plight of prisoners, have concluded they have little choice but to go public. They have found little support.

Serikjan Bilash, a prominent Uighur exile and campaigner in Kazakhstan, was recently detained; supporters blame pressure from Beijing. Muslim-majority countries have been strikingly silent about the camps, though Turkey recently criticised them as “a great cause of shame for humanity”, and Malaysia refused to return 11 Uighurs in its custody; Anwar Ibrahim, in line to be the next prime minister, has also spoken out. Yet, staggeringly, the Organisation of Islamic Cooperation, whose 57 members include Turkey and Malaysia, has just commended Beijing’s efforts “in providing care to its Muslim citizens”: not bleak humour but testament to China’s growing political and economic power.

True, the US has stepped up criticism, saying it would consider targeted measures against individuals responsible for rights violations. Britain was among a few western nations in Geneva calling for immediate release of those detained without due process, and urging that the UN is given access – as its rights chief, Michelle Bachelet, has repeatedly requested. These demands should be made much more loudly, and far more broadly. The camps are China’s shame; the indifference is the world’s.

https://www.theguardian.com/comment...njiangs-detention-camps-not-just-chinas-shame

"Buh muh China actually tackles corruption" - @ZeEa5KPul :rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl::rofl:

Vast numbers of Uighurs and other Muslim minorities are being held in detention

This is what you're supporting by defending communist China @ZeEa5KPul You’re a racist, and you should be ashamed!

Terrorists and extremsists will be crushed like how we deal with the cockroach problem here in Taibei. :lol:

What will you Indain do about that? Worship Trump harder? :lol:

Meanwhile in Xinjiang province...

Xinjiang sees fast growth in e-commerce

Source: Xinhua Published: 2019/3/16

The volume of online transactions in northwest China's Xinjiang Region grew by 16 percent year on year in 2018, local authorities have said.

The volume of online transactions reached about 188.1 billion yuan (about 28 billion US dollars) last year, according to the regional commerce department.

Xinjiang's online retail sales totaled 29.7 billion yuan in 2018, a year-on-year growth of 26.1 percent. Online retail sales in the region's rural areas rose 44.5 percent from the previous year to nearly 7.2 billion yuan.

E-commerce has played an increasingly important role in promoting economic growth, alleviating poverty and boosting consumption and employment in Xinjiang, said Zhao Xu with the regional commerce department.

In a bid to cultivate more e-commerce talent, the region provided e-commerce training programs for 100,800 people last year.

http://www.globaltimes.cn/content/1142290.shtml

Not only Uighurs but whole China is a prison. People can not raise the voice dictator Xi and CPC. Other Chinese have made compromise but Uighurs are brave and they protest so they are prosecuted most. 1.5 million in camps is a very big violation of human right. Xi must be bought to justice and should be procecuted.

Here's what I think of the Guardian view::nana:

I'm ashamed that I'm being mentioned by people like you. Just kidding, I love it. I'm living in your head... rent-free.

Don't worry bro I gotchu :wave:

BTW I know for a fact you’re racist. According to surveys, China is the most racist country in the world. They put Uiyghur Muslims in concentration camps! Explain why you’re here supporting racism? Pathetic loser!

barking like dog, ao ao ao…

I guarantee the same people criticized China treatment of Muslim were celebrated the news of the dead Muslim in New.Zealand.

I like how China deals with Muslims, not one comment on Chinas treatment of Muslims on these forums lol, isn't that interesting.
Why she'd the crocodile tear for the Muslim suffering in china when deep inside of you don't really care what happen to muslim?

I like how China deals with Muslims, not one comment on Chinas treatment of Muslims on these forums lol, isn't that interesting.
No need to worry about China. Worry about your own dysfunctional government and radical Muslim...and now radical white Christians.

And in other recent news...
US to deny visas for ICC members investigating alleged war crimes
Washington also threatened economic sanctions if war crimes court goes ahead with inquiry into US troops in Afghanistan

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...es-investigation-international-criminal-court

Last edited:

What China does to radical muslim is exactly the same or better than what many Muslims countries do to radicalized muslims, and better than what US does to muslims, you know bombing them.

China just demonstrated an alternative way to deal with extremism, besides bombing. It's time for West to sit quiet and learn something from a 5000 years old Eastern Civilization.

In the West, this kind of tolerance only shown to White (Christian) terrorists and extremists.

US to deny visas for ICC members investigating alleged war crimes
Washington also threatened economic sanctions if war crimes court goes ahead with inquiry into US troops in Afghanistan

https://www.theguardian.com/us-news...es-investigation-international-criminal-court

US has committed a lot of war crimes in Iraq and Afghanistan, primarily, as well as in other places such as Somalia, Yemen and Sudan, which all happen to be Muslim.

When the US is busy dropping some 65.000 bombs upon a number of Muslim countries over the past few years, Western countries like UK, France, Canada, Australia, were also part of the coalition of the willing, joining in the torture and killing of civilians and destroying infrastructure.

Now, the same countries are preaching China's peaceful anti-extremism measures on its own land.

That's why US discourse power has been eroded seriously.

SEG-Trump-UN-Germany-Laughing.jpg

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom