What's new

The Great Game Changer: Belt and Road Intiative (BRI; OBOR)

The project is more like a contractor china connecting, building and developing third world countries. I doubt west will agree on Chinese domination, they have their own plans to constrain china.

OBOR is China idea and for sure China will lead this project because China is willing to put the most money on it compare to other nations, as I said China is willing to share the feast with all, every can bring their contributions and explore the business opportunity over these OBOR trade route, China has no point to hold exclusivity or selectivity of any nations to joins as AIIB. The west can do what they want or have their own version of OBOR but they will never able to constrain China, the best they could do is refuse to take part as India did.

And funny thing is with great surprise to all US, Japan and Korea are taking part of forum only India send a low profile delegation, I dare to say that India don't want to be left behind and committed the same mistake as US and Japan for refusing to join AIIB.

Last edited:
OBOR is China idea and for sure China will lead this project because China is willing to put the most money on it compare to other nations, as I said China is willing to share the feast will all every can bring their contributions and explore the business opportunity over these OBOR trade route, China has no point to hold exclusivity or selectivity of any nations to joins as AIIB. The west can do what they want or have their own version of OBOR but they will never able to constrain China, the best they could do is refuse to take part as India did.

And funny thing is with great surprise to all US, Japan and Korea are taking part of forum only India send a low profile delegation, I dare to say that India don't want to be left behind and committed the same mistake as US and Japan for refusing to join AIIB.

Delegations are sent to get economic benefits out of this initiatives with out official recognition. Those countries might have cut some deals to get a share of profits. There is a chance that Japan and USA might invest and share profits in obor in certain areas. But India's case is different we have our own corridors, our own plans of investment. We also have Nepal which is a part of obor like a window for interaction with china.

We consider china as a huge developed export market .

Delegations are sent to get economic benefits out of this initiatives with out official recognition. Those countries might have cut some deals to get a share of profits. There is a chance that Japan and USA might invest and share profits in obor in certain areas. But India's case is different we have our own corridors, our own plans of investment. We also have Nepal which is a part of obor like a window for interaction with china.

We consider china as a huge developed export market .

Every nation can build their corridor that benefit them the most, if OBOR don't bring any good for India then why join it right? I think OBOR is significant for US, Japan and Korea because they all have manufacturing plant and business in China so in some extend, they all can take advantage of the OBOR to promote and extend their respective business across Eurasian continent.

Take a rice cooking appliance as example, Japan not only sell this appliance across China but they can use Chinese merchants and traders to extend their sale throughout the rest of the continent.

Zojirushi-Micom-Rice-Cooker.jpg

India would also come if China would allow Indians to work in Chinese factories and send back remittances. That is the only benefit for India.

India would also come if China would allow Indians to work in Chinese factories and send back remittances. That is the only benefit for India.

It's up to India to identify their own interest within OBOR and feel free will to join, if China keep insist and convince it to join, they might thought we're begging them, there is so much China and India can cooperate in Business sectors since we both have a huge population and the demand is huge but I'm not expert in international business so I will let other to talk about this issue.

US, South Korea, Japan to attend Belt and Road Forum in China, India undecided
India has still not taken a decision on the invite for China but the US and South Korea announced today that they will be a part of the One Belt, One Road Forum.
Ananth Krishnan | Posted by Sonalee Borgohain
Beijing, May 12, 2017 | UPDATED 14:46 IST

summit_story-urgent_647_051217023820.jpg

The United States and South Korea today announced last-minute participation at China's Belt and Road Forum, while India said it had still not decided on attending.

Matt Pottinger, Special Assistant to President Donald Trump and senior director for East Asia of National Security Council of the White House, will head the US delegation. His rank is equivalent to an Additional Secretary in the Indian government.

His announcement came as a surprise as the US had in the past indicated wariness as the One Belt, One Road (OBOR) initiative. The US had also stayed away from the China-led Asian Infrastructure Investment Bank (AIIB), which India joined as second-largest member, and urged its allies to do the same.

South Korea also announced today it would send a delegation, underlining a change in climate of recently strained ties with China following last week's election. This followed a telephone call between Chinese President Xi Jinping and new president Moon Jae-in.

Ties had been tense over the previous government in Seoul agreeing to host the US anti-missile system THAAD (Terminal High Altitude Area Defence) which led to a suspension of diplomatic exchanges and South Korean companies in China being targeted by boycott calls. President Moon, however, announced he will send a delegation led by Park Byeong-seug, a member of parliament and top official of his party.

Japan has also agreed to send a delegation represented by ruling Liberal Democratic Party's secretary general Toshihiro Nikai, thought to be close to Prime Minister Shinzo Abe.

So far, 28 countries have said they will send heads of state, among whom are Russian President Vladimir Putin and Prime Ministers of Pakistan and Sri Lanka.

The Germany and United Kingdom are also sending ministers.

As of today morning, India said it was still yet to take a decision on the invite for China. India has voiced its oppositions to part of the China Pakistan Economic Corridor that passes through Pakistan occupied Kashmir, with CPEC being framed as a flagship of the OBOR initiative.
http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/...belt-and-road-forum-china-india/1/952124.html

The project is more like a contractor china connecting, building and developing third world countries. I doubt west will agree on Chinese domination, they have their own plans to constrain china.

They do not have much choice than joining foroum...

LOL at the Indian boycott. Who needs India when you have such trading powerhouses lining up.

Why does US come? I think the Silk Road is the one connecting China with the Old World, not Americas.

Strange indeed, considering that Chinese initiatives like the Belt and Road, RCEP and the AIIB etc. are effectively direct challenges to the current American-backed system of global governance (IMF etc).

Maybe it's a new direction from Trump due to him being friendly with Xi Jinping.

Trump has had a track record of sabotaging American interests, maybe this is just another one.

Those countries announced to come at the last moment vividly shows the age old wisdom, if you can't beat them, join them.

I wonder how India will spin the news on how it choose not to attend OBOR. Words come into mind would be: India is a supa Powa, India is mighty, India need no OBOR as it has its own initiative... etc:rofl:

Sri Lanka PM arrives in China for One Belt One Road summit

Sri Lanka's Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe arrived here today to attend China's high- profile Belt and Road summit beginning tomorrow.

Wickremesinghe left for the Chinese capital immediately after seeing off India's Prime Minister Narendra Modi at the end of his two-day visit to Sri Lanka last evening.

Wickremesinghe will hold talks with Chinese President Xi Jinping and Prime Minister Li Xiang on a host of bilateral issues, his office has said.

Analysts here say Wickremesinghe's Beijing visit has gained significance as India has chosen to stay away from the summit, citing sovereignty concerns related to the China- Pakistan Economic Corridor (CPEC).

http://www.dnaindia.com/world/repor...in-china-for-one-belt-one-road-summit-2437128

Back
Top Bottom