What's new

The Great Game Changer: Belt and Road Intiative (BRI; OBOR)

No, I mean CCDev. At least it was called that when I was still involved with NewSpace 2011-2012.

NASA - CCDev Information

To be quite frank, putting a space capsule in orbit is still deemed as putting a satellite in space; an artificial one. Who's going fuel Spacex' demand for their Mars mission? The few billionaires in america paying for a few grand each flight?

Let the big dogs handle exo-LEO spaceflight-Government i.e. NASA SLS system.

And let the commercial guys take on Near-earth orbit.

By the way, why do you americans always jump at the sight of an article claiming anything about challenging us supremacy? This time, you didn't read right; the topic is might put... to shame, not disposed america of leadership in spaceflight... Looking forward to your sarcastic remarks.

lol you actually believe NASA SLS will work out :rofl:

if China takes over the leadership of space travel that's fine and dandy :D

lol you actually believe NASA SLS will work out :rofl:

The SLS has as much chance as any commercial crew proposal. That is, what mood congress is in the day the new administration steps in. My friends and I know this part far too well.

if China takes over the leadership of space travel that's fine and dandy :D

Leadership of space travel? as in what, policies or technological development? Policies are independent of each nation. Technological advantages are only temporary, it's only a matter of time before your competitors catch up. Why does it matter who's leading then?

For policy, I believe in a united space front. Space is the last thing to bring mankind together.

The SLS has as much chance as any commercial crew proposal. That is, what mood congress is in the day the new administration steps in. My friends and I know this part far too well.

Leadership of space travel? as in what, policies or technological development? Policies are independent of each nation. Technological advantages are only temporary, it's only a matter of time before your competitors catch up. Why does it matter who's leading then?

For policy, I believe in a united space front. Space is the last thing to bring mankind together.

competition is what will drive space exploration.

SLS will fail because it's government ran and managed.

manned space travel has became stale. we havenen't traveled from low earth orbit since 1973 I believe.

space shuttle was a waste of resources along with ISS :agree: though both are technological wonders

if China can get us beyond low earth space travel I will become a China fan boy

manned space travel has became stale. we havenen't traveled from low earth orbit since 1973 I believe.

space shuttle was a waste of resources along with ISS :agree: though both are technological wonders

I agree with the competition part. Competition is also what drove the Gemini, then Apollo missions; government ran. What I'm trying to say is, don't disregard something simply because it's government ran and managed projects may I remind you.

Look at what RFP's commercial companies are working off of-NASA/USAF proposals. Which means, companies are staying competitive to fight for a government contract, something NASA has potential to also cover, but isn't, because it's working on bigger projects.

As I said, any commercial project (at this point), has as much chance of survival as the SLS, because you never know what the next administration is going to demand next. It'll stay this way until private companies venture away from government tenders and actually become self-sufficient.

Speaking of the space shuttle, what Spacex accomplished isn't much more of a feat that what the Space Shuttle accomplished, except it was able to re-use a booster. What would be a feat, is if we could finally ditch chemical propulsion, and invest in technological barrier breaking propulsion methods i.e. Nuclear, Ion propulsion (VASIMR such as), and my personal proposal, gravity modification.

I brought this up with many Newspace companies, and while representatives agree with the passion and drive part, no-one wants to invest, because they would rather be safe than sorry. This was the case with ATK, and Spacex was no different in thinking.

What I must give Spacex credit for, is their effort and drive; they stick to their milestones. I greatly admire my friends at Spacex who work 80 hour weeks, and never complain about it because it drives them. Great work mentality.

Let the big dogs handle exo-LEO spaceflight-Government i.e. NASA SLS system.

And let the commercial guys take on Near-earth orbit.

That is the general idea with other companies, but if SpaceX has a a different plan with their MCT all the more power to them. They have the vision and have clearly demonstrated the competency. That they are a private company should not stop NASA from utilising them, hell they are an American company.

By the way, why do you americans always jump at the sight of an article claiming anything about challenging us supremacy? This time, you didn't read right; the topic is might put... to shame, not disposed america of leadership in spaceflight... Looking forward to your sarcastic remarks.

That the article is clickbait title with no actual substance is the entire point.It is all "might", "maybe" "could"

It doesn't define how China's moon program is considered 'aggressive'. They are planning a landing around 2030? That hardly sounds like an aggressive program, by that measure the US' program for a manned landing on mars is aggressive, and most would not consider it such.

It doesn't specify any innovation in its rockets, just says the program is innovative, no specifics, and says China is developing bigger rockets. Whoopdee doo, so are we!

It hypes up taking 13 tons to orbit ignoring that the US has launchers that take up more, the Falcon 9 takes up the same amount, and the Falcon Heavy will take up significantly more, let alone the SLS.

It hypes up China's moon rovers ignoring that the US has 2 on mars, one of which has been active for 12 YEARS. NASA's unmanned space program is actually its major bright spot which separates it from the rest, as the US is the only country to have sent probes to every planet in the solar system. No other space agency even reaches NASA's ankles when it comes to unmanned mission accomplishments.

Basically the article says the Chinese space program 'might' shame NASA, and then gives nothing!

China's space program has made strides, and it is developing, but to even say it MIGHT eclipse and shame RosCosmos, let alone NASA, at this point is extremely weak. You might as well say ISRO 'might' shame NASA and RosCosmos and you'd be equally right!

That is the general idea with other companies, but if SpaceX has a a different plan with their MCT all the more power to them. They have the vision and have clearly demonstrated the competency. That they are a private company should not stop NASA from utilising them, hell they are an American company.

That the article is clickbait title with no actual substance is the entire point.It is all "might", "maybe" "could"

It doesn't define how China's moon program is considered 'aggressive'. They are planning a landing around 2030? That hardly sounds like an aggressive program, by that measure the US' program for a manned landing on mars is aggressive, and most would not consider it such.

It doesn't specify any innovation in its rockets, just says the program is innovative, no specifics, and says China is developing bigger rockets. Whoopdee doo, so are we!

It hypes up taking 13 tons to orbit ignoring that the US has launchers that take up more, the Falcon 9 takes up the same amount, and the Falcon Heavy will take up significantly more, let alone the SLS.

It hypes up China's moon rovers ignoring that the US has 2 on mars, one of which has been active for 12 YEARS. NASA's unmanned space program is actually its major bright spot which separates it from the rest, as the US is the only country to have sent probes to every planet in the solar system. No other space agency even reaches NASA's ankles when it comes to unmanned mission accomplishments.

Basically the article says the Chinese space program 'might' shame NASA, and then gives nothing!

China's space program has made strides, and it is developing, but to even say it MIGHT eclipse and shame RosCosmos, let alone NASA, at this point is extremely weak. You might as well say ISRO 'might' shame NASA and RosCosmos and you'd be equally right!

By the way, if you read the above, I did just praise Spacex for effort, because I have many of my old classmates and friends working there; I just hate the company for a personal conflict with them in 2011, but that's besides the point.

And, who cares if they are an american company? You are going to discount the many other great entities outside of america because they're not 'american?' That's such a loser's attitude, I'm sorry.

Perhaps this is just a fun article, there have been so many on the forums haven't there? Just relax, and enjoy yourselves... Jeeshhh

Don't actually agree that everything that govt touches turns to crap in spaceflight. They serve their purpose of pioneering where investment fails.

The case for the MCT is also unclear yet, who are their early customers? Only ones I can see are national space agencies at this point.

My main issue with the SLS is how often it will be launched, and of course the sky high prices. Capability is not the question for me though. It most definitely will be capable, just not necessarily efficient.

By the way, if you read the above, I did just praise Spacex for effort, because I have many of my old classmates and friends working there; I just hate the company for a personal conflict with them in 2011, but that's besides the point.

And, who cares if they are an american company? You are going to discount the many other great entities outside of american because they're not 'american?' That's such a loser's attitude, I'm sorry.

Perhaps this is just a fun article, there have been so many on the forums haven't there? Just relax, and enjoy yourselves... Jeeshhh

Id assume an American government space agency would prefer to launch on American launchers if it is suitable for the purposes of the mission yes.

Not to discount partnerships of course, but it doesn't seem like a leap of logic to me.

;edit: Never thought you were a SpaceX hater, If you worked in newspace you know how far they have come.

fun article...
120px-Transparent_Trollface2.png

Last edited:
Today the Shenzhou ferries taikonauts (Chinese astronauts) into space.
today-the-shenzhou-ferries-taikonauts-chinese-astronauts-into-space.jpg

Shenzhou spacecraft are loosely based on Russia's Soyuz vehicles. They both have three separate modules, but the Chinese version is larger and made with different materials.
shenzhou-spacecraft-are-loosely-based-on-russias-soyuz-vehicles-they-both-have-three-separate-modules-but-the-chinese-version-is-larger-and-made-with-different-materials.jpg

Unlike NASA, whose astronauts have to hitch rides into space from Russia, China has the rocket power to launch its own space travelers.
unlike-nasa-whose-astronauts-have-to-hitch-rides-into-space-from-russia-china-has-the-rocket-power-to-launch-its-own-space-travelers.jpg

The spacecraft can snugly fit three people.
the-spacecraft-can-snugly-fit-three-people.jpg

And as soon as China successfully built the Shenzhou, it didn't waste any time using it to send taikonauts into space.

and-as-soon-as-china-successfully-built-the-shenzhou-it-didnt-waste-any-time-using-it-to-send-taikonauts-into-space.jpg

Taikonaut Wang Yaping trains for a mission inside this spinning machine at the Beijing Aerospace City.

On June 16, 2012, taikonauts Jing Haipeng (right), Liu Wang (center) and Liu Yang (left) were sent off in style from the Jiuquan Satellite Launch Center in Gansu province.
on-june-16-2012-taikonauts-jing-haipeng-right-liu-wang-center-and-liu-yang-left-were-sent-off-in-style-from-the-jiuquan-satellite-launch-center-in-gansu-province.jpg

TO BE CONTINUED..

One small step for China, another giant leap for mankind. :)

Don't actually agree that everything that govt touches turns to crap in spaceflight. They serve their purpose of pioneering where investment fails.

The case for the MCT is also unclear yet, who are their early customers? Only ones I can see are national space agencies at this point.

My main issue with the SLS is how often it will be launched, and of course the sky high prices. Capability is not the question for me though. It most definitely will be capable, just not necessarily efficient.

Id assume an American government space agency would prefer to launch on American launchers if it is suitable for the purposes of the mission yes.

Not to discount partnerships of course, but it doesn't seem like a leap of logic to me.

My mistake-I misunderstood it for 'if it's not american, it's not up to par.'

By the way, thread is getting derailed. If you want to talk about american spaceflight, y'all might want to open up one in a different portion of the forums.

Regarding this article, we can agree that it's superficial in content, but was written by someone in the West. So let us move on from trolling from all sides...

CZ-5 rocket debut is important to prove China as a space power. Without CZ-5, China can't called herself space power.

You are sprouting nonsense. Has 50 years ago has GPS system? China has build a rival beidou system to match US. That wouldn't put China 50 years behind US.

The thing with this 'X years ahead or X years below' is not straight forward as in it will literally take X amount of years to catch up. It's all about key technologies, once China acquires/develops certain technologies which it is lacking in it will leap forward and close the gap in technological disparity.

The thing with this 'X years ahead or X years below' is not straight forward as in it will literally take X amount of years to catch up. It's all about key technologies, once China acquires/develops certain technologies which it is lacking in it will leap forward and close the gap in technological disparity.

LOL, "technological disparity" ? Are you admitting that China is technologically disparate ?

By the way, thread is getting derailed. If you want to talk about american spaceflight, y'all might want to open up one in a different portion of the forums.

Here you go:

US Space Program - a thread

Sven might murder you depending on how lengthy your discussion is though:partay:.

LOL, "technological disparity" ? Are you admitting that China is technologically disparate ?

How the Christmas season treating you? Any snow yet?

The thing with this 'X years ahead or X years below' is not straight forward as in it will literally take X amount of years to catch up.

Comparison game is always unproductive, in general. Anyways, its always relative.

How the Christmas season treating you? Any snow yet?

Its not bad , actually. Spent a lot on gifts for the family, and i still feel like i'm missing something !!!

How about you? Did the Christmas Elves help you out? ha ha ha ha , my beautiful Norwegian fwend? ;) ;)

Sven might murder you depending on how lengthy your discussion is though:partay:.

He's more than welcome to try, i've become almost immune to strangulation, nowadays. ha ha ha.....!

Anyways, give our Swedish friend my regards. ;)

Its not bad , actually.

Ugh, sounds horrible. It's December 22nd and the only "white stuff" I've seen is from a powdered doughnut:hitwall:.

and i still feel like i'm missing something !!!

I know the feeling. Sven, Anna, the rest of his family (including his dogs and sister who's living with them), my family and friends, coworkers:wacko:. I'm thinking about getting my purse therapy sessions for Christmas. It's feeling abused.

Oh, wait I know what's missing:o:. We lost @Armstrong !!!

Last edited:

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom