What's new

The Girl from the Swat Flogging-An interview with Saira Bibi

if it was fake, wouldn't she confirm that in the interview, she's acknowledging that shes the girl from the video.

There are more than 2 interviews of more than 2 ladies, there were numerous incidents of floggings in Swat, the video as I said, accordintg to my knowledge was fake, if this woman is saying she was her, maybe it's true, agay ALLAH knows the best.

7th of Feb 2011?

i knew this would pop up. Infact i was waiting for this to happen (no wonder i didnt remove the date, naughty me), but i never knew it would be you.

The interview is from Newsweeks issue that would be pulled out on 7 Feb 2011:

Newsweek - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Cover date

Newsweek, like other weekly magazines, prints a date on the cover of each issue. This is not the date on which the issue is mailed to subscribers or placed on newsstands; it is the "pull date," on which it is to be removed from newsstands and replaced by the next issue. This can confuse readers (obviously it did ;) )when an article contains the phrase "this week" or "last week," because the writer is likely to be thinking from his or her own point of view when writing the article and not considering the exigencies of the news cycle.

If she was married, according to Sharia, she would have been stoned. But thanks god it didnt happen.
What crime did she commit? That her husband's friend dinned in her house or may be that she and her mother-in-law cooked for the poor guy.
Why did the public opinion change? they wanted sharia law and the taliban did deliver it.
Which sharia law? i am surprised that you are equating the self-serving, brutal and ill-implemented 'law' which a lucid law like Sharia.
Man, hudood is also part of sharia law, my question is: people didnt like what? i am a bit confused here, they didnt like the hudood being applied or they didnt like the hudood being applied by the taliban?

Swat had been governed by Sharai Law for since long and this time also the people wanted it back, but they wanted Sharia, not a law that was used to serve a particular interest, a law that didnt have anything in common with the actual Sharia expect for the name.

BTW, since when an individual or a group of individual has been authorized to practice Sharia at his/their end? Isnt it something to be practiced by the state?

In early 2009, Pakistan surrendered Swat to the Pakistani Taliban. Then emerged the mobile-phone footage of the Taliban mercilessly flogging a 19-year-old woman—and everything changed. Pakistan was outraged. The government ordered a military operation against the militants in Swat and neighboring areas leading to the creation of the world’s largest population of internally-displaced. Newsweek Pakistan’s Nazar Ul Islam spoke with Saira Bibi, 22, in an exclusive interview in Swat, where she lives with her husband, two children and extended family. Excerpts:

assalam alaikum

So how old is she and if she was married then just only flogging?

TARIQ

There are more than 2 interviews of more than 2 ladies, there were numerous incidents of floggings in Swat, the video as I said, accordintg to my knowledge was fake, if this woman is saying she was her, maybe it's true, agay ALLAH knows the best.
I don't know about the other one, but this is a reputable source giving this interview.

On another note,

Shariah will remain unimplementable till the people Nafiz-ing it, don't become champions of tolerance, peace, equality and keep the wellbeing of the people and their happiness first and the morality/ghairat showmanship second.

What happens is the opposite. The people pushing for Shariah today are in most cases the most intolerant lot, seeking conflicts, and totally inept at fair treatment to minorities. Their entire governance system is ban this, ban that... Kill him, stone her... Jail them, subdue the rest... They seem less like Muslims, and like some psychiatric patients more.

So the biggest hurdle to implementation of Shariah are the "Shariah" thumpers themselves.

Last edited:
I don't know about the other one, but this is a reputable source giving this interview.

On another note,

Shariah will remain unimplementable till the people Nafiz-ing it, don't become champions of tolerance, peace, equality and keep the wellbeing of the people and their happiness first and the morality/ghairat showmanship second.

What happens is the opposite. The people pushing for Shariah today are in most cases the most intolerant lot, seeking conflicts, and totally inept at fair treatment to minorities. Their entire governance system is ban this, ban that... Kill him, stone her... Jail them, subdue the rest... They seem less like Muslims, and like some psychiatric patients more.

So the biggest hurdle to implementation of Shariah are the "Shariah" thumpers themselves.

:cheers:

I second you Sir :)

The so called religious parties of our country and then the so called Taliban did so much harm to the peaceful image of Islam and in the result now today we have people who even find the name of "Sharia'ah" so disturbing.

I believe that people should be given awareness, they should be told that ALLAH has commanded us to implement the Sharia'ah of Rasool ALLAH [S.A.W] in our societies..

Peaceful struggle is what we need today, a ideological change of minds, I have no problem with anyone who have secular views as long as he/she tries to enforce them on my country, the same goes for any party/group who tries to implement Sharia'ah by force.

I hope, you'll understand my views :)

Taliban is an evil, hate filled bunch be it in Pakistan or Afghanistan. They should be confined to their caves .

What crime did she commit? That her husband's friend dinned in her house or may be that she and her mother-in-law cooked for the poor guy.

Which sharia law? i am surprised that you are equating the self-serving, brutal and ill-implemented 'law' which a lucid law like Sharia.

Swat had been governed by Sharai Law for since long and this time also the people wanted it back, but they wanted Sharia, not a law that was used to serve a particular interest, a law that didnt have anything in common with the actual Sharia expect for the name.

BTW, since when an individual or a group of individual has been authorized to practice Sharia at his/their end? Isnt it something to be practiced by the state?

i do agree with everything you said above, hope you know it by now. my intention was to show to some people that if the same thing is done by the AT, they will be called true sons of islam, but in case of TTP they will condemn it.

i do agree with everything you said above, hope you know it by now. my intention was to show to some people that if the same thing is done by the AT, they will be called true sons of islam, but in case of TTP they will condemn it.

People who jump to condemn taliban do not condemn sharia law. And the barbarism will not go away,even if all talibans are defeated. They will be replaced by some other group.
Sharia law has no place in modern society.

What is the punishment for adultery in the right version of Sharia?

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom