What's new

The Geek that changed the world.

Vassnti

Reaction score
Country
New Zealand
We think of the people who impact world events as the politicians or the warriors or the spooks, computer geeks sit at their keyboards and inhabit a strange little world that no one understands and most dont care about.

Egypt is showing us how out of date that idea is, Wael Ghonim may be a computer geek but he also may be one that changed the world.

Sparking the uprising

Activists said Ghonim was the person behind a page on the social networking site Facebook that is credited for helping spark the uprising in Egypt.

Twitter Reaction
Wael Ghonim's release
hrhsar RT @dylanratigan: Check facebook, "We Are All Khaled Saheed" 4 more. They have the power to resist, do they have courage and grace to lead? @ghonim @habibh 37 seconds ago · reply
Do2aAbdullah Welcome to Facebook - Log In, Sign Up or Learn More... نحترم الاختلافات لكن كده انتو بتضيعو تأييد كتير من الناس @Ghonim 28 seconds ago · reply
ricohoz RT @AEmam10: http://www.youtube.com/w... @masrawya_magda3 @shmpOngO @memam8 @Ghonim 20 seconds ago · reply

7 new tweetsnoneck RT @Ghonim: #Jan25 is Revolution 2.0 3 minutes ago · reply
A7madoze What's this video that showed @Ghonim being kidnapped in the sunlight whille he said he was busted at night? #Jan25 #fb 2 minutes ago · reply

Join the conversation

The "We are all Khaled Said" page and Facebook group was named after an Egyptian activist who rights groups said was beaten to death by police in the northern port city of Alexandria. Two officers are now facing trial in the case.

Pro-democracy protesters have continued their sit-in in Cairo's Tahrir Square since mass protests began on January 25. The demonstrations showed no signs of being appeased on Tuesday by talks between the government and opposition groups on Sunday.

But the number of protesters in the streets has decreased since the height of the protests on January 28, a day demonstrators billed the Day of Wrath.

However, immediately after Ghonim's interview on Dream TV on Monday, activists asserted that the blogger had breathed new life into the protests.

"Left breathless by Wael Ghonim. InshaAllah his sincerity & patriotism, beamed into Egypt's living rooms, will ignite this revolution #Jan25," Twitter user Desert_Dals wrote.

"My aunt called me crying after Ghonim's interview saying "I'm going to Tahrir tomorrow! God Bless him! He made us proud!" Twitter user MennaGamal wrote on her account.

"Ghonim just became the mayor of Tahrir Square!" Twitter user AngelSavant wrote.

DFMorrison, another Twitter user wrote, "If you feel recharged by #Ghonim for the Egyptian Revolution to reach its goals, Retweet! #Tahrir #Egypt #25Jan."

The UN says at least 300 people have been killed in the violence since the demonstrations began, with Human Rights Watch, the international rights group, putting the number killed in the cities of Cairo, Alexandria and Suez at 297 on Monday.

Ghonim, in his interview on Monday, paid tribute to those killed.

"I want to say to every mother and every father that lost his child, I am sorry, but this is not our fault.

"I swear to God, this is not our fault. It is the fault of everyone who was holding on to power greedily and would not let it go."

Freed cyber activist lauds protests - Middle East - Al Jazeera English

bill gates the nerd changed the world also :lol:

Back
Top Bottom