What's new

The drone of 3 Idiots could now serve Army and NSG; DRDO in talks

Are you crazy ? P=mgh, the higher the object the greater potential energy it will have and that potential energy will convert to Kinetic energy in a DOWNWARD direction unless greater force is applied to nullify the force and change the movement of direction of the object in question.

Are you crazy?

POTENTIAL ENERGY INCREASES WITH HEIGHT. ACCELERATION DUE TO GRAVITY DOES NOT. <facepalm> What are you 12?

Also the notation for Potential energy is Ep not P. P is momentum.

Last edited:
Well since every one is boasting about the RC planes they made, why should i stand out............I made one two years ago, rigged it with a mobile phone chip and viola, it recorded video while on flight and then when it landed the video could be transferred to a pc using a data cable !!!!!!

Mine had a small webcam on it that transferred live footage to the control center on my laptop.

Actually a mate from school and I did this together.

Trying to find pictures now.

this was made by three students in 2006

see it in action:yahoo::yahoo:

xxx.uavindia.com/gallery.htm

use www for xxx

hi guys ,

i have known these guys from ideaforge personally. my company and theirs participated in the last year exhibition. i think that ws the first time they had demonstarted their product. we were amazed to see the control and the clarity of the pictures from 200 m in the air and also in a contolled enviroment of pragati maidan in delhi. these are basically 3 students who have come up with this company and the idea. they have no office to work from so IIT ,mumbai has given them an office in their premises for operations.during the exhibition there ws a very keen interest from various police chiefs, the NSG, DRDO and the army. the product is first of the kind in india and when i spoke to one of the students in an afterparty he told me that DRDO might develop the technology further and then incorporate it in various forces.

Are you crazy?

POTENTIAL ENERGY INCREASES WITH HEIGHT. ACCELERATION DUE TO GRAVITY DOES NOT. <facepalm> What are you 12?

Also the notation for Potential energy is Ep not P. P is momentum.

Sorry typing error on my part there (the P thing) anyways, let me give you an example, RC planes can fly on small electric motors, Drones on props, jet planes on well.................jet engines and the Discovery Shuttle on rockets, you will notice that the higher the intended target altitude, the greater the power required to get your craft there. Thus i stress again, that the pull of gravity increases with the height of the object.

Sorry typing error on my part there (the P thing) anyways, let me give you an example, RC planes can fly on small electric motors, Drones on props, jet planes on well.................jet engines and the Discovery Shuttle on rockets, you will notice that the higher the intended target altitude, the greater the power required to get your craft there. Thus i stress again, that the pull of gravity increases with the height of the object.

Any craft leaving the Earths gravitational sphere has to have an escape velocity of 11.2 km/s or more.

Ep increases with height. Potential energy is just that, potential. At a height of 12m a 50kg object has a force of 117.6N acting on it as gravity.

At a height of 20m a 50kg object has a force of 117.6N acting on it as gravity.

Force = mass * gravity (acceleration)

Notice exclusion of height.

Last edited:

There are lot of other factors involved, like weight, air pressure at high altitudes, speed, required acceleration, range, so on. Rockets are huge, cause they have to take a large payload to great distance, with large velocity. A satellite needs to have a speed of thousands of km/s, hence a big engine (rocket) a great fuel load. A small jet engine driven sr71 could achieve greater height than a jumbo jet or A380, despite their huge engines.
If weight, speed etc requirement are not high, a small rc copter can go 100/200 m high.

Any craft leaving the Earths gravitational sphere has to have an escape velocity of 11.2 km/s or more.

Ep increases with height. Potential energy is just that, potential. At a height of 12m a 50kg object has a force of 117.6N acting on it as gravity.

At a height of 20m a 50kg object has a force of 117.6N acting on it as gravity.

Force = mass * gravity (acceleration)

Notice exclusion of height.

Can you explain the figure of 117.6N? Mine comes out to be ~490N

I made a small drone a la a helicopter in year 12 when I was 16. It could carry a 8kg payload to a height of 8 metres.

Though it did weigh 23kg IIRC

Funny Drdo couldnt make a decent drone in decades yet u did when were 16 :cheers:

It is highly unlikely that the Drone we saw in 3 idiots can be put into production, the design is very......................primitive.
It will be unable to generate sufficient lift and if my hunch is correct, those small propellers and the weak motor won't cut it.
According to the laws of physics, the pull of gravity increases with the height of the object and with that design i would give it a lift of......................say............................ 20 feet, leaving out external factors such as wind shear, etc.................

:cheesy::cheesy::cheesy::rofl:::rofl::rofl:

Sir for all practical purposes "g" remains constant near the surface of earth.

Thanks for posting this video , it clearly show the maturity,reliability and effectiveness of the system...

now DRDO should make it more advance and manufacture in large to decrease the price...

These type of UAV can play vital role in mountain region,counter-terrorist,commando activities,etc...:)

Funny Drdo couldnt make a decent drone in decades yet u did when were 16 :cheers:
This was an project with other students in my Engineering class, it didn't have an onboard battery, was very heavy and unwieldy, completely unsuitable for practical use. The 8kg payload was a massive exaggeration, I checked my report it was more like 2kg :D. The couple of engineering students managed to make one far, far, far superior to mine and any attempts by DRDO.

Can you explain the figure of 117.6N? Mine comes out to be ~490N

Ahah, yes you're right I had switched the numbers around from 12kg object at 50 metres, to 50kg object at 12 metres.

Last edited:
Originally Posted by Pakistani Nationalist

Funny Drdo couldnt make a decent drone in decades yet u did when were 16

LOL Tell me if you can built a UAV like this like our students?

It can be sent with explosive also say 1kg RDX to blow off high value target if necessary.

Back
Top Bottom