What's new

The drone of 3 Idiots could now serve Army and NSG; DRDO in talks

RPK

Reaction score
Country
India

The Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) that grabbed eyeballs in the Aamir Khan-starrer 3 Idiots could soon be used by the Indian Army and a host of security forces, including the National Security Guard (NSG), for reconnaissance in anti-terror and counter-insurgency situations.

The machine that the student of engineering designed in the film — and which tragically found him hanging in his room on its maiden flight — is the same as the one built by IdeaForge, a company founded by three IIT, Bombay alumni. The Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) has tied up with IdeaForge to refine the UAV — now named Netra — and is learnt to be preparing to pitch it to the Army.

Netra has already been demonstrated before the NSG, Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), Border Security Force (BSF), Delhi Police, Maharashtra Police and the Uttar Pradesh Special Task Force, and has drawn special attention from forces currently engaged in anti-Naxal operations. The product will be on display at the forthcoming Defence Expo in New Delhi.

Weighing 1.5 kg, and having a payload capacity of 300 g, Netra — originally called Zeppelin and subsequently Carbon — can perform Vertical Take-off and Landing (VTOL) operations. It can fly in a radius of 1.5 km at altitudes of over 100 m, for 30 minutes per battery charge. Each unit costs between Rs 18 lakh and 20 lakh, but the price is expected to drop once it is manufactured in larger numbers.

The UAV is fitted with a high resolution 2.5X zoom camera, which can be panned and tilted. It beams real-time live aerial images, and can record the footage. An in-built fail-safe mechanism ensures the UAV returns to its home position in case of loss of communication or low battery.

While Netra’s design continues to be developed and refined by IdeaForge, DRDO has been collaborating to make the backpack case that is used by the operator to initiate the flight plan and serves as the base station.

“Most of the paramilitary forces who have been shown this product have sought night-operability of this machine so that it can be used for surveillance during night time. Also, one of the forces wants the machine to be operable indoors. We are planning to make some customizations including putting a thermal camera on Netra,” said Amardeep Singh of IdeaForge.

The UAV’s Zeppelin prototype was the joint winner at MAV 08, an international competition of micro aerial vehicles. “It was then that we decided to further work on the design. We showcased a prototype in December 2008, following which the DRDO got into the picture,” Singh said.

Last edited:
Weighing 1.5 kg, and having a payload capacity of 300 g, Netra — originally called Zeppelin and subsequently Carbon — can perform Vertical Take-off and Landing (VTOL) operations. It can fly in a radius of 1.5 km at altitudes of over 100 m, for 30 minutes per battery charge. Each unit costs between Rs 18 lakh and 20 lakh, but the price is expected to drop once it is manufactured in larger numbers.

18 to 20 lakhs for this toy! It should not cost more than 1 lakh. And the cost should go down to 50,000 if numbers are large.

Congrats to IdeaForge, but don't let them milk the taxpayers.

18 to 20 lakhs for this toy! It should not cost more than 1 lakh. And the cost should go down to 50,000 if numbers are large.

lmao might as well by them honda 70's or a decent mountain bike

The Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) that grabbed eyeballs in the Aamir Khan-starrer 3 Idiots could soon be used by the Indian Army and a host of security forces, including the National Security Guard (NSG), for reconnaissance in anti-terror and counter-insurgency situations.

The machine that the student of engineering designed in the film — and which tragically found him hanging in his room on its maiden flight — is the same as the one built by IdeaForge, a company founded by three IIT, Bombay alumni. The Defence Research and Development Organization (DRDO) has tied up with IdeaForge to refine the UAV — now named Netra — and is learnt to be preparing to pitch it to the Army.

Netra has already been demonstrated before the NSG, Central Reserve Police Force (CRPF), Border Security Force (BSF), Delhi Police, Maharashtra Police and the Uttar Pradesh Special Task Force, and has drawn special attention from forces currently engaged in anti-Naxal operations. The product will be on display at the forthcoming Defence Expo in New Delhi.

The UAV is fitted with a high resolution 2.5X zoom camera, which can be panned and tilted. It beams real-time live aerial images, and can record the footage. An in-built fail-safe mechanism ensures the UAV returns to its home position in case of loss of communication or low battery.

While Netra’s design continues to be developed and refined by IdeaForge, DRDO has been collaborating to make the backpack case that is used by the operator to initiate the flight plan and serves as the base station.

“Most of the paramilitary forces who have been shown this product have sought night-operability of this machine so that it can be used for surveillance during night time. Also, one of the forces wants the machine to be operable indoors. We are planning to make some customizations including putting a thermal camera on Netra,” said Amardeep Singh of IdeaForge.

The UAV’s Zeppelin prototype was the joint winner at MAV 08, an international competition of micro aerial vehicles. “It was then that we decided to further work on the design. We showcased a prototype in December 2008, following which the DRDO got into the picture,” Singh said.

ya nice news to here, DRDO & co must get tie-up with the INDIA'S TOP INSTITUTES for new technologies and products,:yahoo::cheers::victory::smitten:

Nice i also saw a drone manufactured by Pakistani students in Bahawalpur university.Anyway congrats

hahahahahah
Yara For God Sake Dont Lie That big It cost online for $30 not more than $100

hahahahahah
Yara For God Sake Dont Lie That big It cost online for $30 not more than $100

Guess you haven't read between the lines carefully....
Agreed 18-20 lakhs is kinda pretty steep, but check out what that thing carries..

Weighing 1.5 kg, and having a payload capacity of 300 g, Netra — originally called Zeppelin and subsequently Carbon — can perform Vertical Take-off and Landing (VTOL) operations.

It can fly in a radius of 1.5 km at altitudes of over 100 m, for 30 minutes per battery charge.

The UAV is fitted with a high resolution 2.5X zoom camera, which can be panned and tilted.

It beams real-time live aerial images, and can record the footage.

An in-built fail-safe mechanism ensures the UAV returns to its home position in case of loss of communication or low battery.

I hope these pointers can explain why the price is so high. Anyone who's interested in building a DIY RC plane with a gyroscope mounted camera will understand what it takes. Now, Netra being under the auspices of DRDO will get lots of bells and whistles incorporated and that is why its that pricey!

Nice i also saw a drone manufactured by Pakistani students in Bahawalpur university.Anyway congrats
Building a simple RC aircraft is not that complicated. Its as simple as assembling IKEA furniture!

Building a simple RC aircraft is not that complicated. Its as simple as assembling IKEA furniture!

Really?did u see there RC plane with gps and camera ?And if u think a rc plane which can carry payload of 5 to 6 kg is a simple rc.Then the drone ur buddies loooks no more then a RC heli with a camera.

It is highly unlikely that the Drone we saw in 3 idiots can be put into production, the design is very......................primitive.
It will be unable to generate sufficient lift and if my hunch is correct, those small propellers and the weak motor won't cut it.
According to the laws of physics, the pull of gravity increases with the height of the object and with that design i would give it a lift of......................say............................ 20 feet, leaving out external factors such as wind shear, etc.................

And at that height a kid with a good eye and a slingshot could shoot it down, terrorists are a whole new league so lets not even go there........................

what a nonsense..........
you can buy same toy in Sydney (K Mart) in $20 AUD (no spam alert please).

adding: i don't know how to upload pics. from my desktop but my 5 year old son operates same toy with small config. $ 10.

Last edited:
It is highly unlikely that the Drone we saw in 3 idiots can be put into production, the design is very......................primitive.
It will be unable to generate sufficient lift and if my hunch is correct, those small propellers and the weak motor won't cut it.
According to the laws of physics, the pull of gravity increases with the height of the object and with that design i would give it a lift of......................say............................ 20 feet, leaving out external factors such as wind shear, etc.................

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

The Laws of Physics says acceleration due to gravity DECREASES WITH ALTITUDE.

Really?did u see there RC plane with gps and camera ?And if u think a rc plane which can carry payload of 5 to 6 kg is a simple rc.Then the drone ur buddies loooks no more then a RC heli with a camera.

I made a small drone a la a helicopter in year 12 when I was 16. It could carry a 8kg payload to a height of 8 metres.

Though it did weigh 23kg IIRC

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOL

The Laws of Physics says acceleration due to gravity DECREASES WITH ALTITUDE.

Are you crazy ? P=mgh, the higher the object the greater potential energy it will have and that potential energy will convert to Kinetic energy in a DOWNWARD direction unless greater force is applied to nullify the force and change the movement of direction of the object in question.

Well since every one is boasting about the RC planes they made, why should i stand out............I made one two years ago, rigged it with a mobile phone chip and viola, it recorded video while on flight and then when it landed the video could be transferred to a pc using a data cable !!!!!!

Back
Top Bottom