The city in Pakistan that loves a British hairstyle

Zibago

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
The city in Pakistan that loves a British hairstyle
1421926-secunder-1496043878-109-640x480.jpg

When BBC correspondent Secunder Kermani visited Pakistan and wanted to get a haircut, he headed to Mirpur in Kashmir.

Originally from Pakistan but born in London, Kermani’s haircut stood out in Islamabad. A security guard outside his hotel in the capital, asked him if he was from Mirpur. When he replied in the negative, he pointed at Kermani’s head and said, “But your hairstyle – all the Mirpuris have the same one.”

16-year-old British Pakistani rejects £5 million offer for his website
ADVERTISEMENT
The city of Mirpur is known as Little England, owing to the fact that many inhabitants left for Britain and returned to marry off their children or to build big houses with the money they saved.

Kermani’s hairstyle is called a skin fade – the sides of the head shaved to varying degrees. It gradually gets longer as you go upwards and at the top it’s a normal, longer length. In parts of Britain, the skin fade is extremely common, especially among British Asians.

When Kermani visited Mirpur, at first glance he was disappointed because it looked like most Pakistani cities he had been to. However, a sign advertising Chicken Cottage – a fried chicken brand from Britain, got him excited. Young British Muslims often visit Chicken Cottage as a halal alternative to other fast food chains.

The skin fade was also popular in Mirpur — with every other guy under the age of 40 sporting it. The resemblance between them and British Pakistanis was uncanny.

In the 1960s, thousands of Mirpuris left to work in factories and mills of cities in Britain. According to an estimate, about 70% of all British Pakistanis can trace their origins to the region.

Kermani was taken by his guide, local YouTube star – Arslan Shabir, to what he called Mirpur’s premier barbers. There he met Raja, having his stubble plucked by the barber — both the barber and Raja also sported a skin fade hairstyle. Raja said that while the skin fade may have originated in Britain, it has become identifiably Mirpuri. Raja had never been to England but has relatives in Birmingham.

“Do I look like a Pakistani?” he asked Kermani, showing him selfies on his phone. “Could you tell me apart from any British kid?” seemingly proud to look British.

Mirpur’s decades old connection with Britain makes it unlike any other city in Pakistan. You can see huge villas all over the city. “Where could I get a place like this in the UK?” said Zahoor from Ilford. His palatial creation is completed with terraces and towers.

While many aspire to go to Britain and settle there, many in Mirpur have a complex relation with the country. One customer at the barber’s told Kermani a girl in Leeds claimed she would marry him. She, however, took his savings and disappeared. Another is getting married to his cousin in England.

British-Pakistani doctor wins UK Masterchef 2017

While Shabir gets along with British Pakistanis, his videos also criticse the way they talk about their Pakistani cousins or the look down upon them. “Where do they think their parents come from?” he said indignantly. “The same place as us.”

At the barber’s as Kermani’s turn came, the barber told him he was the first to offer skin fades in Mirpur. “The other day,” he boasted, “a British customer was so impressed he offered me a job… in London.”
https://tribune.com.pk/story/1421926/city-pakistan-loves-british-hairstyle/
@Moonlight @django @EAK @The Sandman @Hell hound @waz @Divergent1
Mirpuris the only people who speak pothwari in a British accent :D

Mirpur AJK, is almost adjacent to Mangla dam lake/reservoir and full of natural beauty. The new Mirpur city pic below, as the article elaborated, with so many expats in UK, who has invested here, there is a lot of British footprint here, albeit with a local Pakistani/Kashmiri touch.

New Mirpur city
Mirpur.jpg

Ramkot fort near Mirpur city AJK.

b9bc93495c2ce3a6b8e76f2437623747.jpg

DSCF2653.jpg

Mirpur AJK, is almost adjacent to Mangla dam lake/reservoir and full of natural beauty. The new Mirpur city pic below, as the article elaborated, with so many expats in UK, who has invested here, there is a lot of British footprint here, albeit with a local Pakistani/Kashmiri touch.

New Mirpur city
Mirpur.jpg

DSCF2653.jpg
Lovely scenery. Seems I should start putting Pakistan in my next travel destination(pending the country's security situation). Heard it's quite safe now compared to a couple years ago?

New Mirpur city
Mirpur.jpg

DSCF2653.jpg
My village is close to Khari Sharif :D
There are stores in Mirpur that even accept British pounds
Dodyal is one the most expensive places in the country its full of British returnees
I don't understand the MP language at all.
No problem ji we even taught white britishers our language :D
Tusaan wi sikha deny pothwari/Mirpuri :D

Lovely scenery. Seems I should start putting Pakistan in my next travel destination(pending the country's security situation). Heard it's quite safe now compared to a couple years ago?
Sure thing no problem just try to avoid the summer months mercury easily peaks at 45 :D

the region of Azad Kashmir particularly Mirpur never had any issues relating to security its safe ti visit :-)

Zibago can you please define what "Potohari" is exactly and how strong is that identity, please? I need this information as part of a paper I am writing. Thanks.
The variant of Pahari spoken in the potohar plateau is called pothwari Hindko too is from the same family of language just with more hindko specific words
How strong is the potohari identity?
Not that strong the biradri identity among pohtwaris is stronger than any ethnic identity @I.R.A

Check this blog about AJK, good quality pictures and info thread. Many more will open in the main page 'Mehfil Pakistan'.

http://www.skyscrapercity.com/showthread.php?t=714196&page=42
Boss i am a light contributor of tourism sub forum on pdf
https://defence.pk/pdf/forums/pakistan-tourism.174/
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/neelum-valley-a-song-of-splendour-and-separation.382375/
https://defence.pk/pdf/threads/azad-kashmir.161177/page-33#post-9508231

:D haan ji lolzzz interestingly even Afghan refugees speak conveniently
Lol even Afghans say haan jigor keela ik soo treay rupay ey kiney darjan kin so :D

Latest posts

Pakistan Affairs Latest Posts

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom