What's new

The case of Major Mushtaq serving in pakistan army 1971 eastern front

Reaction score
Country
Bangladesh
I urge the readers to read it at neutral pov as it's very sensitive topic, my main reason to highlight his story is to counter the argument that bengalis betrayed pakistan. Again what's right or wrong depends on which side you're on, so i urge everyone to be civil in this thread post because after i read about this man i ave nothing but respect and anyone regardless of which country they identify with should also respect such gentleman officer. although the story is tragic.

March 1971
Three regiments stationed in jessore, EBR that in 1965 stopped indian armor advance towards lahore plans a mutiny under Commanding officer Cl. Jaleel. The two other regiments stationed are the baloch regiment and FM regiment. Under mutiny plans EBR attacks officers canteen during breakfast hours and kills the officers, loots the armory and plans to head for India... relief sent but also killed.

fast forward

November/ December 1971 (accounts of Gen. Raja on his autobiography "A strager in my own country")
Maj Gen (retd) Khadim Hussain Raja, who was general officer commanding of 14 Division in the then East Pakistan, gave the account in his book titled A Stranger in My Own Country: East Pakistan, 1969-1971, published by Oxford University Press, The book is posthumously published probably because it was a highly controversial/ taboo in the times it was actually written.
Page 98 of the book reads, “Commander East Pakistan General Niazi, wearing a pistol holster on his web belt. Niazi became abusive and started raving. Breaking into Urdu, he said: Main iss haramzadi qaum ki nasal badal doon ga. Yeh mujhe kiya samajhtey hain. He threatened that he would let his soldiers loose on their womenfolk. There was pin drop silence at these remarks. The next morning, we were given the sad news. A Bengali officer Major Mushtaq went into a bathroom at the Command Headquarters and shot himself in the head.”

Mushtaq could have joined the EBR in their mutiny but i reckon he might have been strictly religious or his conscience forbade him to break the oath he took as a young cadet at the academy, he could have pointed his pistol at niazi or any other west pakistani officers long into the war instead of himself and yet he felt he couldn't surrender the purpose of the officer commanding nor disobey/ betray them or the people he took oath to protect. People often mock victims of suicide but they don't understand it takes a lot of courage to end ones own life... it's comparitively easier on the human psyche to take life of others.
This is why i felt it was necessary to highlight his story to those who claim we betrayed the nation... I don't blame the pakistani people either, they were in the dark and didn't know any better. Forget apology to the bengalis, Pakistani people deserve an apology from the Pakistan Army for it failed to protect it's own people at the time and played a huge role in disintegration of the nation. I also wish the best to pakistani people to uphold their rights and liberty and not let fascist dictator nincompoops run their tyranny against them.

A small example is fighting for rights of people in Waziristan and ballochistan... recently read regular paksitani youtubers were barred from visiting waziristan but western "gora" youtubers are allowed to go their and film... i've seen the videos of such youtubers in those places... i reckon as a pakistani it's your right to be in any territory of pakistan that's public. This was just a small example.

extra digest offtopic to the main discussion from the book:
Major General Rahim Khan was the other officer Pakistan can't be proud of: “Rahim started to criticise the senior commanders in Dhaka, especially me, although I happened to be a friend of his. He was of the opinion that the Bengalis were timid people and should have been subdued long ago. The reader can judge for himself the ignorance and lack of understanding of the East Pakistan situation among the hawks in the armed forces” (Page 97).
Rahim ran away from East Pakistan when things became too hot.
Niazi also asked Raja for phone numbers of his Bangalee girlfriends: “Abhi tau mujhey Bengali girlfriends kay phone number day do” (Page 99).

Last edited:
Opportunist and Bad apples were on both sides. The ordinary people of BD and Pak got played by selfish and short sighted politicians
Unfortunately most don' recognise it and they become too high on nationalistic drugs which make them blind of their own mistakes and make them blame others. History and current scenarios are glaring example of that.

Unfortunately most don' recognise it and they become too high on nationalistic drugs which make them blind of their own mistakes and make them blame others. History and current scenarios are glaring example of that.
if you are refering to what is happening in india. India single handedly is responsible for all the fasad in this region. What India sent out to her neighbours is finally coming home .

if you are refering to what is happening in india. India single handedly is responsible for all the fasad in this region. What India sent out to her neighbours is finally coming home .

in your dreams .

I urge the readers to read it at neutral pov as it's very sensitive topic, my main reason to highlight his story is to counter the argument that bengalis betrayed pakistan. Again what's right or wrong depends on which side you're on, so i urge everyone to be civil in this thread post because after i read about this man i ave nothing but respect and anyone regardless of which country they identify with should also respect such gentleman officer. although the story is tragic.

March 1971
Three regiments stationed in jessore, EBR that in 1965 stopped indian armor advance towards lahore plans a mutiny under Commanding officer Cl. Jaleel. The two other regiments stationed are the baloch regiment and FM regiment. Under mutiny plans EBR attacks officers canteen during breakfast hours and kills the officers, loots the armory and plans to head for India... relief sent but also killed.

fast forward

November/ December 1971 (accounts of Gen. Raja on his autobiography "A strager in my own country")
Maj Gen (retd) Khadim Hussain Raja, who was general officer commanding of 14 Division in the then East Pakistan, gave the account in his book titled A Stranger in My Own Country: East Pakistan, 1969-1971, published by Oxford University Press, The book is posthumously published probably because it was a highly controversial/ taboo in the times it was actually written.
Page 98 of the book reads, “Commander East Pakistan General Niazi, wearing a pistol holster on his web belt. Niazi became abusive and started raving. Breaking into Urdu, he said: Main iss haramzadi qaum ki nasal badal doon ga. Yeh mujhe kiya samajhtey hain. He threatened that he would let his soldiers loose on their womenfolk. There was pin drop silence at these remarks. The next morning, we were given the sad news. A Bengali officer Major Mushtaq went into a bathroom at the Command Headquarters and shot himself in the head.”

Mushtaq could have joined the EBR in their mutiny but i reckon he might have been strictly religious or his conscience forbade him to break the oath he took as a young cadet at the academy, he could have pointed his pistol at niazi or any other west pakistani officers long into the war instead of himself and yet he felt he couldn't surrender the purpose of the officer commanding nor disobey/ betray them or the people he took oath to protect. People often mock victims of suicide but they don't understand it takes a lot of courage to end ones own life... it's comparitively easier on the human psyche to take life of others.
This is why i felt it was necessary to highlight his story to those who claim we betrayed the nation... I don't blame the pakistani people either, they were in the dark and didn't know any better. Forget apology to the bengalis, Pakistani people deserve an apology from the Pakistan Army for it failed to protect it's own people at the time and played a huge role in disintegration of the nation. I also wish the best to pakistani people to uphold their rights and liberty and not let fascist dictator nincompoops run their tyranny against them.

A small example is fighting for rights of people in Waziristan and ballochistan... recently read regular paksitani youtubers were barred from visiting waziristan but western "gora" youtubers are allowed to go their and film... i've seen the videos of such youtubers in those places... i reckon as a pakistani it's your right to be in any territory of pakistan that's public. This was just a small example.

extra digest offtopic to the main discussion from the book:
Major General Rahim Khan was the other officer Pakistan can't be proud of: “Rahim started to criticise the senior commanders in Dhaka, especially me, although I happened to be a friend of his. He was of the opinion that the Bengalis were timid people and should have been subdued long ago. The reader can judge for himself the ignorance and lack of understanding of the East Pakistan situation among the hawks in the armed forces” (Page 97).
Rahim ran away from East Pakistan when things became too hot.
Niazi also asked Raja for phone numbers of his Bangalee girlfriends: “Abhi tau mujhey Bengali girlfriends kay phone number day do” (Page 99).

good read .

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom