What's new

The big Middle East Football - thread

Dont know much about UAE, but im with you on Japan. If Iraq makes it true the quarters then im almost sure we will win the cup. But these japanese are some fast kids with great technique and will make it hard for us

I am only amusing that UAE are good because their youth teams are very impressive and their senior team are very strong as well. In recent years they have become really strong.

Well, what you mentioned about the Japanese is what have made them successful in the past 10-15 years where they took the throne from KSA in Asia. I don't think that any country will ever be able to compete with them for real in Asia. Outside of South Korea that is. Both countries have a lot of very young talented youngsters that are playing for the leading youth academies at major European clubs.

Last edited:
I am only amusing that UAE are good because their youth teams are very impressive and their senior team are very strong as well. In recent years they have become really strong.

Well, what you mentioned about the Japanese is what have made them successful in the past 10-15 years where they took the throne from KSA in Asia. I don't think that any country will ever be able to compete with them for real in Asia. Outside of South Korea that is. Both countries have a lot of very young talented youngsters that are playing for the leading youth academies at major European clubs.

Yes both S.Korea and Japan will be the power house of Asia for long time to come, Australia is geting weak for some reason. If our FA dont do something for our kids from the start. We will just fall behind them even more.
What im proud of,we Iraqis have had some hard time the last 30 years. We are almost behind all countrys in Asia. And im not even talking about that we cant play our homegames in Iraq. but we still show some resulte time to time, and thats all thanks for all the raw talent we have. Hope in less then 10 years Iraq will bunch back to the glory days.

@1000and1night

I like your username. I agree with your post.

Can you post some links to the matches so we can watch it on our computer? Because my TV is broke right now. Will get a new one Monday morning. So no Arabic TV for me and football matches on TV this weekend unless I frequent some local sports bar that will show matches.

FIFA rankings are not to be taken seriously at all. Nobody takes them seriously. Both Japan and South Korea are significantly better football teams than Iran.

Portugal number 5 and Switzerland number 8? LOL.

Anyway it is the history (trophies won, World Cup participations etc.) of the given country that matters the most not some mostly useless FIFA rankings that say little and changes each month.

Shows you know nothing about Asian football. Iran beat South Korea both home and away to qualify for the World Cup.

I am not talking about current form. A national teams form is not measured based on a few matches. South Korea was always going to qualify anyway. Why not look at their actual performances in the World Cup and the AFC in recent years and make a comparison there? Japan and South Korea have been the best Asian teams for quite some time now.

KSA have been piss poor since 2007 (since we lost the AFC final against neighboring Iraq) but we usually did well in games against Iran despite Iran being better in that time period.

Piss poor compared to the 1990's and mid 2000's where KSA were the best Asian team together with Japan and qualified for 4 consecutive World Cups, advanced from the group stages in the World Cup as the only team in ME history outside of Turkey, won 3 Asian Cups and played 3 Asian Cup finals.

Anyway you did not get my point. The FIFA ranking list is notoriously bad and says little about a teams strength. As I already wrote then the position of teams like Portugal and Switzerland says it all. Anyway the list has been much more outrageous many times earlier.

Anyway we will see who will perform better in the World Cup. I at least have no doubt.

Last edited:
I am not talking about current form. A national teams form is not measured based on a few matches. South Korea was always going to qualify anyway. Why not look at their actual performances in the World Cup and the ANC in recent years and make a comparison there? Japan and South Korea have been the best Asian teams for quite some time now.

KSA has benn piss poor since 2007 but we usually did well in games against Iran despite Iran being better in that time period.

Piss poor compared to the 1990's and mid 2000's where KSA were the best Asian team together with Japan and qualified for 4 consecutive World Cups, advanced from the group stages in the World Cup as the only team in ME history outside of Turkey, won 3 Asian Cups and played 3 Asian Cup finals.

Anyway you did not get my point. The FIFA ranking list is notoriously bad and says little about a teams strength. As I already wrote then the position of teams like Portugal and Switzerland says it all. Anyway the list has been much more outrageous many times earlier.

You should not compare history with current form. You said history is more important, I disagree.

Nottingham Forest have won 2 Champions League trophies yet are currently in the second division of English football (they where lower) yet Arsenal have won no Champions Leagues and are top of the Premier League. Arsenal are pretty much universally considered a bigger club then Nottingham Forest even though they have less history.

Same in international terms. Hungary are two times runners up in the World Cup, but I doubt anyone would say they are a bigger footballing nation then Portugal, who have never made it to a final.

Also Iran hasn't played Saudi in the last couple of years to determine if you have played well against us. Anyway we always do relatively poorly against Arab teams as hatred and emotion interfere with our natural game, so it isn't something Saudi specific.

FIFA rankings are not to be taken seriously at all. Nobody takes them seriously. Both Japan and South Korea are significantly better football teams than Iran.

Portugal number 5 and Switzerland number 8? LOL.

Anyway it is the history (trophies won, World Cup participations etc.) of the given country that matters the most not some mostly useless FIFA rankings that say little and changes each month.

Iran defeated S korea 2 times tandem and always defeat N korea and usually defeat Japan in champions.Fifa ranking is much much exact.It is not historical ranking that writes 1-Brazil 2-Argentina 3-Spain.It is about what teams now are.Ksa is 10th in asia and I think over 120 in world ranking.

@SinaG
Read my post again. I am not talking about ancient history but the last few years. South Korea has performed better on the international scene than Iran and also better in the AFC. I value that more than 2 meetings when South Korea were never in danger of not qualifying.

I like most other people rank Japan and South Korea as the best current Asian teams. Another user from Iraq on this very same thread is of the same opinion. There is nothing controversial about this. Anyway as I wrote earlier then we will see how the 3 teams perform in the World Cup. I have no doubt who will perform better on the international scene again.

Those emotions go both ways. In fact even more on the side of Iran. So this excuse is not valid.

My examples with KSA is to show you that you can't use head to head results to much in the bigger picture. KSA managed a 0-0 draw against Argentina who played with Messi and other major stars. Does that mean that the two teams are equal? No way.

Historically speaking then Hungary has a better track record and can thus be considered as a better footballing nation historically than Portugal.

Just like Brazil is above everyone else. Not based on their current form, which is not bad at all rather the opposite, but their history. At the end of the day it is all about results (trophies). That's what matters.

Anyway my point was not to start a big discussion but just to point out the poor work of those FIFA rankings since they are notoriously bad and more often than not make little sense.

You as an Iranian believe that Iran is better than South Korea and will perform better than them while I am not of this opinion. I value actual performances in major international tournaments higher than two head to head meetings when there was never any danger of South Korea not qualifying. In fact they were already qualified. We will see at the World Cup once again.

Oops, deleted my last post by mistake. Anyway I never stated that Iran will perform better in the WC then South Korea, you are putting words in my mouth there.

You can value whatever you like, but taking performances of 4, 8, 12 years ago and applying them to current teams seems a bit silly.

Also there was significant danger of South Korea not qualifying, as they had to rely on results in the Uzbekistan match going in their favour to qualify.

Also as I said in the post I deleted, both Iran's recent head to head with SK and our overall head to head with SK have both been in our favour. So it isn't just a recent phenomenon.

Well I agree with your points I just don't put total emphasis on head to head meetings since they can be very misleading. I can give you many examples of club football teams (major ones) that have performed very badly about team x or y but when it came to performing in their respective leagues, CL, other European tournaments they outshined their bogey teams.

I am still of the opinion that Japan and South Korea are better when it matters the most and their performances in the biggest stages for Asian teams prove it. Such as World Cup and AFC performances. We have to wait and see how those 3 teams perform in the World Cup.

When it comes to history then I and most others regard trophies as the parameter of greatness. After all that is what matters. Those teams whether club or national teams that have proven that they have been able to win on a constant or very frequent basis and thus beat all others in sheer numbers when it comes to trophies won have the biggest claims of being the best teams in history.

So Nottingham Forrest as you mentioned are indeed a much greater club than let us say Crystal Palace that never won anything of worth despite them playing in the PL right now and being better.

EDIT: I am taking about performances on the biggest scene (World Cup & AFC) for Asian teams. In recent years. Not 10 years ago as you now write.

Look at the AFC in 2011. Japan won it and South Korea came third.

Look at the World Cup in 2010. Japan advanced from their group something that Iran has never done in a World Cup.
That is the biggest football stage for any Asian country. So I am not ready to change my views until Iran proves me wrong in the World Cup and outperforms Japan and South Korea there.

Iran 60% or maybe higher of its games has defeated Korea and Japan.
Nowdays I see much bullshit in many topics ..

Japan are the defending AFC champions. North Korea came third. Iran was nowhere to be seen.

Japan advanced from their World Cup group in 2010 something that Iran has never done before. Iran did not even quality for the World Cup in 2010.

Head to head results are fine but as I already argued for and used plenty of examples of then it says very little in the bigger picture.

Performances on the two biggest stages for Asian teams in the World Cup and AFC on the other hand is what matters and here Japan and South Korea have proven, especially Japan, that they are above any other Asian team right now and have been that for a few years now.

Until Iran proves all this then I can say that they are better. Until then I don't agree with that at all and I am sure that Japan and South Korea will perform better in the World Cup too. At least if I did betting I would put my money on them rather than Iran to impress.

You as an Iranian don't have to agree with this but those results I mentioned don't lie.

I'll make my self short and easy, each country that made it to the WC from Asia more then deserve to be a top Asian side. There is no luck to qualify to the WC. You have to win your games.
I wish all Asian team best luck and make the rest of ous proud

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom