What's new

The Bear And The Other Side Of The Mountain

S-2

PROFESSIONAL
Reaction score
Two seminal works on the Soviet-Afghan War as seen from both the eyes of Soviet and Mujahideen commanders-

The Bear Went Over The Mountain: Soviet Combat Tactics In Afghanistan-LTC (ret.) Lester Grau translator and editor, Foreign Military Studies Office 1996

and its companion, The Other Side Of The Mountain: Mujahideen Tactics In The Soviet-Afghan War-

The Other Side Of The Mountain: Mujahideen Tactics In The Soviet-Afghan War- FMSO Ali Ahmad Jalali And LTC (ret.) Lester Grau

Superb reading, insightful if not perfectly applicable and, best of all...FREE. The Other Side Of The Mountain loads a tad slowly for me. If so for yourself, be patient. Best read by eliminating the bookmark to the left and reduced to 75% size. Enjoy.

Two seminal works on the Soviet-Afghan War as seen from both the eyes of Soviet and Mujahideen commanders-

The Bear Went Over The Mountain: Soviet Combat Tactics In Afghanistan-LTC (ret.) Lester Grau translator and editor, Foreign Military Studies Office 1996

and its companion, The Other Side Of The Mountain: Mujahideen Tactics In The Soviet-Afghan War-

The Other Side Of The Mountain: Mujahideen Tactics In The Soviet-Afghan War- FMSO Ali Ahmad Jalali And LTC (ret.) Lester Grau

Superb reading, insightful if not perfectly applicable and, best of all...FREE. The Other Side Of The Mountain loads a tad slowly for me. If so for yourself, be patient. Best read by eliminating the bookmark to the left and reduced to 75% size. Enjoy.

Nice links,
btw I dont know if you have seen this, but here is a very interesting discussion thread from another forum from the eyes of one of the persons (probably) involved in Afghanistan during the time.
Spetsnaz had defeated the Mujahidden by the summer of 1986
Though you might like that....

Nice links,
btw I dont know if you have seen this, but here is a very interesting discussion thread from another forum from the eyes of one of the persons (probably) involved in Afghanistan during the time.

Spetsnaz had defeated the Mujahidden by the summer of 1986 - Military Photos

Spetsnaz had defeated the Mujahidden by the summer of 1986

Though you might like that....

"Intersting" isnt the word i would use to describe the "discussion" or that website.

One, there isnt really any discussion there. Its hearsay superman stories.

"some guy used to go out at nights with just a knife in his hand and would kill 24 people a night and then come sleep for 2 hours and go back out."

I mean honestly ..... WTF? what kind of dumbwits inhabit that place? Also, that place is filled with some of the most onsided and racist posts ive had the pleasure of coming across. SICK.

"Intersting" isnt the word i would use to describe the "discussion" or that website.

One, there isnt really any discussion there. Its hearsay superman stories.

"some guy used to go out at nights with just a knife in his hand and would kill 24 people a night and then come sleep for 2 hours and go back out."

I mean honestly ..... WTF? what kind of dumbwits inhabit that place?
\

:D:D:D

Perhaps, the guy went out to kill people with valorous, victorious, martial music playing in the background, as women swooned and children threw flowers at his feet?

Thanks bud! I already bookmarked it. I need to find the link to the " Bear Trap". Pretty interesting

Hi,

The question to be asked is that why would the russians retreat right after, if their spetsnaz had neutralized the muj and the stingers were not working in 1986.
That would seem to put them close to victory---then what gave?

Hi,

The question to be asked is that why would the russians retreat right after, if their spetsnaz had neutralized the muj and the stingers were not working in 1986.
That would seem to put them close to victory---then what gave?

They won and they have even achieved their military goals to.The commie regime they est also safely kept the Taliban out only when Yelstin cut the funding to Najibullah,the Taliban were defeated.The Taliban engaging the soviet directly and won is a sham

They won and they have even achieved their military goals to.The commie regime they est also safely kept the Taliban out only when Yelstin cut the funding to Najibullah,the Taliban were defeated.The Taliban engaging the soviet directly and won is a sham

Hi,

If that makes you happy---be it that way.

Hi,

If that makes you happy---be it that way.

Actually that is what happened. Najibullah was a smart man and knew how to play the war lords and local commanders with SU money. Once that source dried up, the mujaheddin commanders switched loyalties, ousted him and established the mujaheddin govt.
Afghanistan wasn't lost because of battlefield losses, which there weren't many, but for the lack of political will in the erstwhile SU.

Check out this thread I posted:
The Soviet Victory That Never Was

Last edited:
:D:D:D

Perhaps, the guy went out to kill people with valorous, victorious, martial music playing in the background, as women swooned and children threw flowers at his feet?

lol i know its comedic. and others on the site were going "oh that is bad ***," like they were visualizing a video game.

Afghanistan wasn't lost because of battlefield losses, which there weren't many, but for the lack of political will in the erstwhile SU.

this is rich. they lost because of a "lack of POLITICAL will."

Lack of political will in the most communist of regimes? one that would forcefully shift its ethnic groups, millions of its own people from one corner of its country to another just to teach hand full a lesson?

oh please, this is a joke. "lack of political will," is some b.s. republicans made up trying to explain away the vietnam loss and now the russians are latching onto it.

do you remember the one atrocity from that afghan war russians were famous for? just as the americans are now known for abu ghraib atrocities and haditha massacres, the one thing that was quint essentially russian was cutting out prenatals from pregnant women.

and now its the political will that lost them the war. ha ha haaa

Now I've heard it all. The Russians won?

Some victory. 15,000 deaths, hundreds of thousands of casualties, billions invested and then they walked away. And they haven't regained any leverage - political, economic, strategic- in Afghanistan since then. That war was a significant contributor to the fall of the Soviet empire. How did they win?

For me a good rule of thumb to find out who really won a battle is when one side says "We won but our own politicians stabbed us in the back", or "We won but our commanders betrayed us".

It's then that I know that that side lost.

lol i know its comedic. and others on the site were going "oh that is bad ***," like they were visualizing a video game.
AFAIK, most people there are vetted military pros. Enough said.

this is rich. they lost because of a "lack of POLITICAL will."

Lack of political will in the most communist of regimes? one that would forcefully shift its ethnic groups, millions of its own people from one corner of its country to another just to teach hand full a lesson?
oh please, this is a joke. "lack of political will," is some b.s. republicans made up trying to explain away the vietnam loss and now the russians are latching onto it.
What do you know about the SU's Afghan invasion? Do you understand how and why the SU collapsed? On one hand you imply a strong almost unbreakable political will of the erstwhile SU and OTOH you talk about how weak the SU regime was. Now what exactly is it?
BTW, the soviet battles were and are studied carefully by many western (read NATO) experts and trying to learn how to "win" in Afghanistan. SU almost never lost a battle, but failed to hold on to large swathes of territory giving the Mujaheddin almost a free reign. Couple that with a constant stream of funding form the Americans and the Saudis and sanctuaries and camps in Pakistan. Inspite of all this, the mujaheddin still could not dislodge Najibullah after the soviets left, not till the collapse of the SU! Go figure.

do you remember the one atrocity from that afghan war russians were famous for? just as the americans are now known for abu ghraib atrocities and haditha massacres, the one thing that was quint essentially russian was cutting out prenatals from pregnant women.

Source? Or is it just propagandist BS that YOU, my friend, are spouting, just like many other little read friends? There are people that I would expect that out of, but the Russians in Afghanistan or Chechnya...nah! Its the other way around. You see commies do not have a religion and are not religious fanatics to cut people left and right (shooting is a different ball game).

Now I've heard it all. The Russians won?
Some victory. 15,000 deaths, hundreds of thousands of casualties, billions invested and then they walked away. And they haven't regained any leverage - political, economic, strategic- in Afghanistan since then. That war was a significant contributor to the fall of the Soviet empire. How did they win?
For me a good rule of thumb to find out who really won a battle is when one side says "We won but our own politicians stabbed us in the back", or "We won but our commanders betrayed us".
It's then that I know that that side lost.
15000 casualties over a period of 10 years at a time when COIN was in its infancy atleast for the soviets, a systematic withdrawal from Afghanistan, leaving behind a regime which could hold onto to power till the SU lasted says a lot, doesnt it? Contrast that with another famous example, Vietnam!
instead of coming up with brilliant one liners, and playing to the gallery, it would do a lot of good if one could just study the SU's Afghan invasion and occupation and how others meddled in Afghanistan to settle scores or for ones own interests, and you will understand what exactly happened. Why do you think NATO is studying what the Russians did and did not do?

I suggest you read that piece I posted in the other thread, you will know. And that is not the only piece of information available, there are probably many others which say the same.

15000 casualties over a period of 10 years at a time when COIN was in its infancy atleast for the soviets,

That's 15,000 deaths. Not casualties.

If you take casualties from war the number is closer to 70,000 (15k killed, 55k injured). If you take the numbers of troops who fell victim to disease (military terminology seems to treat these as casualties as well, I think because of loss of fighting effectiveness), the number is 469,685 casualties, or "73% of the overall force..that ultimately returned to the Soviet Union".

The source for the above is the link given by S-2 in his first post on the thread.

a systematic withdrawal from Afghanistan, leaving behind a regime which could hold onto to power till the SU lasted says a lot, doesnt it? Contrast that with another famous example, Vietnam!

The systematic withdrawal of forces...we seem to be dealing with euphemisms. Is that another term for victory? Why did they withdraw?

instead of coming up with brilliant one liners, and playing to the gallery, it would do a lot of good if one could just study the SU's Afghan invasion and occupation and how others meddled in Afghanistan to settle scores or for ones own interests, and you will understand what exactly happened. Why do you think NATO is studying what the Russians did and did not do?

This is an irrelevant argument. What does the fact that others meddled in Afghanistan, or settled scores have to do with anything? They've been doing that since Alexander went through, Genghis Khan even. It's a given for Afghanistan. On another note, I could well say that Germany would have won WWII had it not been for US and Russian 'meddling'.

I would like to know of a strategic or long term military objective that the Soviets gained, instead of putting money, lives and time into that sinkhole.

You may be assuming that I haven't read up on Afghanistan. I'm not an expert, but I'm not totally unfamiliar to events in that region.

I suggest you read that piece I posted in the other thread, you will know. And that is not the only piece of information available, there are probably many others which say the same.

A link to your post would be helpful.

Obviously the mujahadeen would not have won without US material support - stingers in particular made a significant battlefield shift. But to my mind, saying that the Soviets won is to indulge in revisionist history.

Hi,

There are many faces to why a war is lost. Political will---indecision---millitary blunders---supply line issues---manufacturing plants destroyed---deceit and treason---COST OF WAR---chickened out ( lack of courage )---and so many different things---whichever form they come in----a loss is a loss is a loss.

Back
Top Bottom