What's new

The Amazing Colors of China’s Buddhist Temples

Raphael

Reaction score
Country
China
Colin Miller photographs Buddhist monasteries and temples in Sichuan province, China.

8.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

Monks listen and pray at Kandze Monastery in Ganzi, China.
Colin Miller

When Colin Miller flew to Chengdu, China, this November, it wasn’t with the intent of making a series of photographs of Buddhist temples and monasteries. But when he started traveling Sichuan province with friends who lived in the region, he was immediately drawn to the bastions of color standing out from the brown hills and snowy mountains.

20.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

Monk in his dorm room at Golo Gompa.
Colin Miller

17.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

Honored visitor is greeted with sweets at Kandze Monastery in Ganzi, China.
Colin Miller

21.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

Drumming in Golo Gompa, Sichuan, China.
Colin Miller

For the next 2½ weeks, the Brooklyn-based photographer and his friends traveled by bus and van to small towns in the province, stopping at local places of worship. While many of his photos feature the red-robed monks who prayed and often lived at the places he visited, Miller was most interested in the spaces themselves, particularly their intricate architectural details and saturated decorations. “The way I shoot for a project, I just react to whatever I find,” he said. “It was a matter of seeing what kind of access we had, what kind of places were interested in letting us in.”

25.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

Temple in Darjay Gompa, Western Sichuan, China
Colin Miller

31.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

Monks praying at Darjay Gompa, Western Sichuan, China.
Colin Miller

After exploring Sichuan, the group spent a few weeks in Ganzi province, where they visited Seda Buddhist Institute, the world’s largest Tibetan Buddhist school. Founded in 1980, it now houses tens of thousands of monks and nuns, many of which study there for more than a dozen years. “I got to see less of the interiors there, but it was a really incredible place to be. Each morning, we’d wake before sunrise and hear the chants of thousands and thousands of monks,” he said.

26.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

Monks gather in front of a temple during a festival at Larung Gar, Seda Buddhist Institute.
Colin Miller

6.jpg.CROP.original-original.jpg

Monks in the early morning mist at Larung Gar, Seda Buddhist Institute.
Colin Miller
Buddha statues in Kandze Monastery in Ganzi, China
Colin Miller

Buddha is belief, not job. Why the hell one temple has so many monks, they don't work, they don't farm, they don't pay tax? We don't need so many parasites at all !!!

evidence for that China is of spring country of india ancient culture.

Now was that really necessary? I mean what possible good could come from that comment? If you don't have anything nice to say, why not move along to the next thread. You know, you don't have to always comment. Silence is golden.

Now was that really necessary? I mean what possible good could come from the comment? If you don't have anything nice to say, why not move along to the next thread. You know, you don't have to always comment. Silence is golden.
Well Vietcongs such as himself think they are funny, we all know where Vietnam's culture originated from under China's millenium domination over Vietnam. If Chinese culture were originated from India which he claims to be then he has only made himself look stupid in the eyes of the readers.

Now was that really necessary? I mean what possible good could come from that comment? If you don't have anything nice to say, why not move along to the next thread. You know, you don't have to always comment. Silence is golden.

Buddhism is original came from India. do you know that ?

Well Vietcongs such as himself think they are funny, we all know where Vietnam's culture originated from under China's millenium domination over Vietnam. If Chinese culture were originated from India which he claims to be then he has only made himself look stupid in the eyes of the readers.

Mongolian, Huno dominated in China. China culture is created by Mongolian. excellent logic.

Chinese went home, like FRance and US. The story is finished.

These are Tibetan, what about Han temples?

Han temple is open to all visitors, don't have so many monks. Buddhist is not equal to monk. In Han Buddhism, most temple were royal temple allowed by emperors. Abbot don't persuade people to be monk, unless he/she don't want to live a social or family life, don't long for sexual feelings, wealthy, family love.... at all. If he/ she don't have a real buddha heart or can't reach the emptiness, the abbot will advise him go back to society.

And Shaolin temple is special. They have royal martial monks. One of their noble mission is guarding our country by forces.
Because Shaolin martial monks helped to establish the great Tang empire, so since then, they are always special in our country. In PLA, there was even a monk General from Shaolin in last century.
China maybe have hundreds of Han temples, nationwide well-known temples are about 10 in different provinces; there are also several famous Buddha Grottoes, such as Dunhuang, Longmen...

The following fotos searched online are about Shaolin Temple:
64517736201301282231181919967580443_000.jpg
56941243201311180922.jpg
23133592.jpg
122457636_15.jpg
201272121716-62635.jpg

91228221526.jpg

To the Vietnamese here who laugh at us ruled by Mongolia and Manchu people,today is 21st century, the reality is:

1、mongolia people ruled han chinese for 98 years,and in return,they were ruled by us for centuries and MOST of them are totally chinese now.

2、manchu people ruled han chinese for 267 years,and in return,they are ruled by us for 104 years by now and ALL of them are toally chinese, in fact,they share the same names,language,customs,culture with han chinese,nothing different with Han Chinese.

3、japan? No, they invaded us but did not rule us,and based on our history,it will be a tough future.
As for Vietnam,we colonized you for 1000 years,and invaded you in almost every dynasty,your country was our affiliated country until the France came and took you. Is there any chance for you to revenge us? Let me think, yes,in parallel universe but not in this universe.

As a country which get real independence just after 1975, It is very funny and brave for you guys to laugh at your masters history.

Yongbulakang, meaning "mother-son palace" in Tibetan, is the first palace and one of the most ancient establishments in Tibet. Dwarfing on the Zhaxiciri Hill, this fortress-like temple has a history of more than 2,100 years. The magnificent palace demonstrated typical Tibetan style.

During the 7th century, it was the summer palace of Songtsen Gampo and his wife, Princess Wencheng. Later the fifth Dalai Lama expanded it and rebuilt the palace into a temple, which is kept intact now.

Travel tips:

Horse riding fees: 30 yuan/person up the hill, 20 yuan/person down the hill

Opening hours: 9:00--18:00

Reminder: No photos are allowed inside the templeThe first palace in Tibet: Yongbulakang - People's Daily Online

FOREIGN201505270857000550124651583.jpg

FOREIGN201505270857000559271372085.jpg

FOREIGN201505270857000551599570199.jpg

FOREIGN201505270857000557862371024.jpg

FOREIGN201505270857000553482822359.jpg

FOREIGN201505270857000552737318424.jpg

FOREIGN201505270857000567102514190.jpg

FOREIGN201505270857000551599570199.jpg

Han temple is open to all visitors, don't have so many monks. Buddhist is not equal to monk. In Han Buddhism, most temple were royal temple allowed by emperors. Abbot don't persuade people to be monk, unless he/she don't want to live a social or family life, don't long for sexual feelings, wealthy, family love.... at all. If he/ she don't have a real buddha heart or can't reach the emptiness, the abbot will advise him go back to society.

And Shaolin temple is special. They have royal martial monks. One of their noble mission is guarding our country by forces.
Because Shaolin martial monks helped to establish the great Tang empire, so since then, they are always special in our country. In PLA, there was even a monk General from Shaolin in last century.
China maybe have hundreds of Han temples, nationwide well-known temples are about 10 in different provinces; there are also several famous Buddha Grottoes, such as Dunhuang, Longmen...

The following fotos searched online are about Shaolin Temple:
View attachment 225072 View attachment 225073 View attachment 225075 View attachment 225076 View attachment 225077

View attachment 225079
I see, that's the kind of Buddhism I like. It should be an option to help yourself when you need it not something that you cling in to. IMO China has the true version of Buddhism. I've watched some documentaries about Shaolin monks before. They have some insane practices and I've heard of a story where a group of Shaolin monks massacred Japanese pirates. Even Wing Chun was invented by a female monk who then trained a girl who was forced to marry someone she didn't like to beat her husband. Well, I prefer Buddhism with a meaningful purpose as opposed to the meaningless practice of Buddhism that some people practice just to show the world that they are Buddhists.

shaolin-temple.gif

I remember watching Shaolin Girl

img_3

Is martial arts widespread in China or just popular among a small group of people?

Back
Top Bottom