What's new

The 1947 NWFP Referendum !

Armstrong

RETIRED TTA
Reaction score
Country
Pakistan
Hello people ! :wave:

Its been a while since I've been reading here and there how only 51% of the people of NWFP (now KPK) voted for Pakistan which would make it, quite literally, a neck-and-neck vote !

So I did some research on this and I don't know whether people came up with this 51% figure out of naivete or something else but this is what really happened:

Total number of Votes cast : 292,118

Votes for Pakistan :

Votes for India :

Total electorate :

Turn-out in Percent :
51%

So unless my Mathematics has gone horribly bad; what that means is that of the people who actually voted in the referendum...99% of them voted for Pakistan ! :o:

Not the 51% voter turn out that is paraded around as the number of people who voted for Pakistan ! o_O

Anyone wants to cross-verify it; here are the only two online sources I could find:

http://pscpesh.org/PDFs/PJ/Volume_49/04-Political Awakened by Nadia.pdf (pg.72)

http://prr.hec.gov.pk/Chapters/1159S-3.pdf (pg.79)

The former is sourced by a book while the latter takes its figures from the original text.

Unfortunately I don't have access to the National Archives to post the original documents ! :(

@A.Rafay @LoveIcon @HRK @farhan_9909 @KingMamba @Hyperion @EyanKhan @Spring Onion @Jazzbot @Xeric @Icarus @DESERT FIGHTER @Oscar @Abu Zolfiqar @Horus @Jungibaaz @Chak Bamu @Fulcrum15 @Irfan Baloch @Akheilos @Icewolf @Pukhtoon @PakhtunGuy @Khan_patriot @scorpionx

Butt Sahib - I don't no which idiot came with statement of 51% - the fact is that only KPK's people directly voted for Pakistan while in Punjab & Sindh elected members of 1946 decided the fate and Sardars in Baluchistan.

Those 2874 must be people from @Samandri's tribe! :D

@Armstrong now FATA should be made a province with capital city and a proper govt. I think there a good chance to do that after the Armys operation. We must establish a strong provincial govt with local police force to guarantee better Law and order in FATA.

Its been a while since I've been reading here and there how only 51% of the people of NWFP (now KPK) voted for Pakistan which would make it, quite literally, a neck-and-neck vote !
The 51% figure is based on the number of votes cast in favor of Pakistan as a percentage of the estimated total number of eligible voters in NWFP at that time in point.

Now, it is true that Bacha Khan's boycott of the plebiscite resulted in many of his supporters staying away, but the argument that 'every single voter who did not vote would have voted against Pakistan' or held the same views as Bacha Khan is an entirely unreasonable claim. Even in the best of times, getting a 100% of the electorate to the voting booth's is generally an impossible task, and while many of those who stayed away from the plebiscite may have done so out of respect and loyalty to Bacha Khan, that is no guarantee that they would have voted against Pakistan had they been given a free choice to do so.

Last edited:
The 51% figure is based on the number of votes cast in favor of Pakistan as a percentage of the estimated total number of eligible voters in NWFP at that time in point.

Now, it is true that Bacha Khan's boycott of the 'referendum' resulted in many of his supporters staying away from the elections, but the argument that 'every single voter who did not vote would have voted against Pakistan' is an entirely unreasonable claim. Even in the best of times, getting a 100% of the electorate to the voting booth's is generally an impossible task, and while many of those who stayed away from the plebiscite may have done so out of respect and loyalty to Bacha Khan, that is no guarantee that they would have voted against Pakistan had they been given a free choice to do so.

I still think that to be a flimsy argument because the 2013 election turn out was 55 % * and even in the US since the '70s the voter-turn-out has been hovering in at the 50-60 percent mark**.

* 55.02 percent voter turnout in May 11 elections: ECP | Pakistan Today

** Voter turnout in the United States presidential elections - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I think the argument put forth by the Bacha Khan faction can be summed up only in one expression - Sore Looser !

So I did some research on this and I don't know whether people came up with this 51% figure out of naivete or something else but this is what really happened:

Total number of Votes cast : 292,118

Votes for Pakistan :

Votes for India :

Total electorate :

Turn-out in Percent :
51%

So unless my Mathematics has gone horribly bad; what that means is that of the people who actually voted in the referendum...99% of them voted for Pakistan ! :o:

Not the 51% voter turn out that is paraded around as the number of people who voted for Pakistan ! o_O

Anyone wants to cross-verify it; here are the only two online sources I could find:

http://pscpesh.org/PDFs/PJ/Volume_49/04-Political Awakened by Nadia.pdf (pg.72)

http://prr.hec.gov.pk/Chapters/1159S-3.pdf (pg.79)

The former is sourced by a book while the latter takes its figures from the original text.

Unfortunately I don't have access to the National Archives to post the original documents ! :(

@A.Rafay @LoveIcon @HRK @farhan_9909 @KingMamba @Hyperion @EyanKhan @Spring Onion @Jazzbot @Xeric @Icarus @DESERT FIGHTER @Oscar @Abu Zolfiqar @Horus @Jungibaaz @Chak Bamu @Fulcrum15 @Irfan Baloch @Akheilos @Icewolf @Pukhtoon @PakhtunGuy @Khan_patriot @scorpionx
We had old businesses in NWFP. ... and Sialkot. :(

But still you should have established federal rule in FATA. Keeping tribals in power is a bad choice IMO. We also have 'special people' from tribal areas but they are not kept in a position of political power - only social influence. :)

Still who where the 300o odd people who still voted for India??? o_O

Back
Top Bottom