What's new

The 15 countries with the highest military expenditure in 2012

Ayush

Reaction score
Country
India
Figures for military spending calculated using purchasing power parity (PPP), ($ b., PPP)

1. United States- $682bn
2. China- $249bn
3. India- $119bn
4. Russia- $116.0bn
5. Saudi Arabia- $63.9bn
6. United Kingdom- $57.5bn
7. France- $50.7bn
8. Japan- $46.0bn
9. South Korea- $44.2bn
10. Germany- $42.8bn
11. Brazil- $34.4bn
12. Italy- $31.0bn
13. Turkey- $25.9bn
14. Canada- $18.3bn
15. Australia- $16.3bn

http://www.sipri.org/research/armame...ble 2012.pdf

a, The figures for national military expenditure as a share of GDP are based on estimates for 2012 GDP
from the International Monetary Fund’s (IMF) World Economic Outlook database, Oct. 2012.

b, The figures for military expenditure at PPP exchange rates are estimates based on the projected implied PPP conversion rates for each country from the IMF World Economic Outlook database, Oct. 2012.

=> Recent trends in military expenditure — Welcome to SIPRI — www.sipri.org

We spend 4% of our GDP on the military. Not as high as some people think. If we brought that down to 2% we'd still be spending more than the next 5 nations combined.

I thought France was the strongest European nation, how is spending below UK?

I thought France was the strongest European nation, how is spending below UK?

PPP is useless, even at PPP China- $249bn/GDP $12.4tn=2%
may be labor and food cheaper but no defference at Industrial Products,steel,High-tech products,or even higher

India spends more on military than Russia does?

I don't feel it that way....

We spend 4% of our GDP on the military. Not as high as some people think. If we brought that down to 2% we'd still be spending more than the next 5 nations combined.

Yes, That is good number, The US Armed forces are playing the China card to get more attraction and the cutting edge, Anyways I think countries like India should have 5% of its GDP for defence and it should improve the R&D capability and privatization of the Indian defence industries!

If I am not mistaken, some countries include salaries and pensions in military budget, while others do not.

Military expenditure includes imports. Russia does not import weapons on the scale India does.

But Russia has for equipments than India including many cutting edge toys like nuke subs.

If I am not mistaken, some countries include salaries and pensions in military budget, while others do not.

But Russia has for equipments than India including many cutting edge toys like nuke subs.
do we??:what:

Back
Top Bottom