What's new

Thailand Purchase Three Chinese-Built Submarines

I wonder why ALL of SE Asia is tooling up.

I don't know for other Countries.
But, for Thailand.
They need to protect their Marine resources in Andaman Sea from other countries.
Thailand 1.jpg

Thailand set to get first Chinese submarine

The Royal Thai Navy will buy its first submarine from China in the coming fiscal year, Defence Minister General Prawit Wongsuwan said yesterday.

Prawit, who is also deputy prime minister overseeing security affairs, said the Navy planned to buy three submarines at Bt12 billion each. "The budget is not too high as payments can be made over a period of about 10 years," he said.

Prawit said China's submarine technology was good and modern, playing down criticism of the move. He said the Navy had studied all details. "It first presented its plan in 2008 or 2009."

Asked why the Navy would want submarines since it had abolished the submarine division, Prawit said the country needed them to protect its massive marine resources in the Andaman Sea.

http://www.nationmultimedia.com/politics/Thailand-set-to-get-first-Chinese-submarine-30289603.htm

I think you cannot use Virginia Class Submarine for Reference.
They are Different.

Virginia Class is SSN (Nuclear Submarine) just like Type 093A/B, and Type 095 China's Navy SSN (Nuclear Submarine).

But, Yuan Class is Heavy Class SSK (Diesel Submarine) with AIP.
3,600 Tonnes.
And $ 333 Million per Submarine is very Reasonable bro @ahojunk
I heard Scorpene Class SSK from French have cost about $ 450 Million.
And Kilo Class from Russia cost about $ 200-250 Million per Submarine.
I think this is a misprint because US $333 million per submarine is a bargain. I don't think the price is correct.

Recently, Australia awarded a French company US $50 billion for 12 submarines. This works out to be about US $4 billion per sub.

In 2014, US Navy Orders 10 Virginia-class Submarines at a cost of $17.6 Billion, i.e. US $1.8 billion per sub.

What do you guys think?

Austrailan contract include building of new ship building facilities, complete tech transfer.. Local production..

I think this is a misprint because US $333 million per submarine is a bargain. I don't think the price is correct.

Recently, Australia awarded a French company US $50 billion for 12 submarines. This works out to be about US $4 billion per sub.

In 2014, US Navy Orders 10 Virginia-class Submarines at a cost of $17.6 Billion, i.e. US $1.8 billion per sub.

What do you guys think?
I think it do not work this way as you suggested and as i reference i give you...... your own post!!

AS per these calculations you made, the US Virginia costs around 1.8 Billions while the French one for Australia will cost 4 Billion? Now you see this do not makes any sense and thus you can be confident that this is NOT how to calculate the sub price.

Considering all her neighbours are arming themselves to the teeth, it was about time Thailand started doing it! I am wondering what happened to her aircraft carrier?

When Are China’s Submarines Coming to Thailand?
2017 could finally see some progress on a high-profile deal.

thediplomat_2015-01-27_18-57-02-36x36.jpg

By Prashanth Parameswaran
January 20, 2017

In a surprise move back in June 2015, Thailand’s navy elected to buy three submarines from China in what would be one of the most expensive single acquisitions in the country’s history (See: “How Did China Just Win Thailand’s New Submarine Bid?”).

Since then, although the debate about the wider strategic significance of the billion-dollar deal has continued, the proposed purchase itself has been repeatedly delayed, thereby further postponing the country’s dream of acquiring a capability it has lacked for more than six decades (See: “Thailand Eyes Submarine Fleet”).

As we move into 2017, however, indications are we could finally see some progress on this front.

As I’ve detailed previously for The Diplomat, the initial plan to purchase the submarines floated in mid-2015 was put on hold after fierce domestic opposition and international scrutiny. A revised plan was then floated in 2016, and the submarine purchase was also included in Thailand’s 2017 defense budget approved last September (See: “The Truth About Thailand’s 2017 Defense Budget ‘Hike’“).

2017 has already seen more steps towards making this a reality. For instance, earlier this month, the RTN released a reference price document which detailed specifications regarding the purchase of the first of the three submarines, including anticipated costs. That document stipulated that the first submarine would cost 13.5 billion Thai baht ($376 million) and would include weapons systems, spare parts, technology transfer, and other items, with the total program reaching over $1.1 billion.

That document will then pave the way for an agreement between Thailand and China for the purchase of the first submarine. A final proposal was supposed to be submitted later this month, with all related administrative processes completed by the first quarter of 2017 and the contract inked later this year. If that occurs according to schedule, we could see the first submarine delivered to Thailand by the early 2020s.

Following some media reports, IHS Jane’s cited unnamed sources this month confirming that specifics were being laid out in a broader 11-year procurement plan is being finalized by the RTN. Funding for the first submarine would be sourced from the 2017 defense budget, and orders for the two other ones were expected before 2021 or 2022, with payments to China continuing until 2027.

These specifics are certainly a lot more than what we had even six months ago and they suggest that there continues to be political will to see this purchase through in spite of lingering concerns in some circles. But for those familiar with Thailand’s decades-long quest for submarines, that also still leaves plenty of time for even more hiccups further down the line.
Well as it seems China kicked Donald's playing Rook on the chessboard. Well done to China :enjoy:

Submarine in South East Asian Navies
Submarine China.jpg

Looks like Thailand's Subs from China (S-26T Class) is the most advanced in South East Asia.
with ASM (Anti-Ship Missile) and AIP Technology (Air Independent Propulsion Technology)

Congrats for Thailand Navy

View attachment 371792

Looks like Thailand's Subs from China (S-26T Class) is the most advanced in South East Asia.
with ASM (Anti-Ship Missile) and AIP Technology (Air Independent Propulsion Technology)

Sub with AIP is hunter, and it is prey without AIP. Especially for the navys their subs don't need to go very far away.

The so-called Chinese international modulators are too weak to kick the trolls from India or Vietnam. I think you guys should spend some time in Turkish forum section to learn how to deal with unwanted trolls!

You tolerated the provocative language of Indians or Viets in the first place,then punishes the responders. Why don‘t you guys quit the posts for good!

Thailand purchases Chinese submarine to defend territorial waters

CGTN

Published on Jan 25, 2017

The Thai government has approved the purchase of a Chinese-built submarine, to boost its maritime strength and ability to defend its territorial waters. CGTN’s Martin Lowe has more.

Its all the same thing Mr. pea brained :D
When India becomes a weapon exporter, at least TOP 10.... And India's “high value goods” no longer free supply...
We'll discuss who is Mr. pea brained..

An agricultural country is best to understand its position.

Last edited:
who said China stuff is crap?? this might of been true a decade or two ago :wave:
Thailand is China's early arms customers.
Since 70s, China has exported 62 tanks to Thailand, including the recent Chinese exports VT-4 tanks to Thailand. Including the Thailand Navy 's Naresuan class Frigate". Same import from China.
@CAPRICORN-88

What do you guys think?
The billion dollar per boat figure for Australia includes a whole lot of money for the development of Australian shipbuilding infrastructure: like the Swedish designed Collins class, the French designed Short Fin Barracuda will be built in Australia and Australia hasn't built any submarines since 2003. This is evident from the fact that the Australian boats (SSK) would cost about double that of the far larger and more capable Virginia class boats (SSN).

A German Type 212A costs around 370 million Euros (2002) and a Type 214 cost $330 million (2008).

View attachment 371792

What a mordern submarine can do without ASM? Laid mine?

Considering all her neighbours are arming themselves to the teeth, it was about time Thailand started doing it! I am wondering what happened to her aircraft carrier?
Just like Argentina.....

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom