What's new

Tesla to set up electric car manufacturing unit in India’s Karnataka State😎!

1613250254496.png

1613250285722.png

It’s official Now!

CM Yediyurappa makes it official: Tesla to set up manufacturing unit in Karnataka

Last month, Tesla registered its subsidiary Tesla India Motors and Energy Private Limited in Bengaluru.
ADVERTISEMENT

Nagarjun Dwarakanath
BengaluruFebruary 13, 2021UPDATED: February 13, 2021 21:50 IST
tesla_1200x768.jpeg

Tesla's Model 3 is likely to be the first car the company plans to sell in India. (Photo: Reuters)

Karnataka Chief Minister BS Yediyurappa on Saturday officially confirmed that Elon Musk-owned Tesla would set up an electric car manufacturing unit in the state.

The announcement was part of the list of benefits promised to Karnataka in the Union Budget.
"American firm Tesla will open a electric car manufacturing unit in Karnataka," the statement by Yediyurappa said. The statement came immediately after the CM said an industrial corridor was coming up at Tumakuru at a cost of Rs 7,725 crore that would generate 2.8 lakh jobs.

Last month, Tesla registered its subsidiary Tesla India Motors and Energy Private Limited in Bengaluru. Yediyurappa had then tweeted that the electric car giant would open its R&D unit in the state capital before deleting it quickly.

The news that Tesla was coming to India was first announced by Union Minister for Road Transport and Highways Nitin Gadkari. "Tesla is initially expected to sell its vehicles in India, and it would also look at setting up a manufacturing facility at a later stage depending on demand," Gadkari told The Times of India.

The TOI report indicated that Tesla would open pre-bookings for its Model 3 vehicle and the deliveries would be made by June. It is unlikely that the company will stitch partnerships with dealerships to sell its car.

Even though the Model 3 is one of Tesla’s more affordable cars, it will not be cheap in India and arrive as completely built units (CBU) with a high import duty charge. While there is no confirmation on the pricing, reports suggest that one Tesla Model 3 will cost Rs 55 lakh in India.

Mint also!!!

:yahoo::woot:8-):flame::yay::yay::yay:

Last edited:
Begani Shadee me abdullah diwana.

India is mainly a market of 2-3 lakh Rupee local cars, little tinpots hardly better than tuk-tuks, both in pricing and features. Suits the frugal kanjoos clientele locally who neither want nor deserve anything better.

Tesla cars cost a minimum of $39,000 so a copy, even the cheapest one, and that even in China.

Remains to be seen how Tesla recoups their screw-together sunk investments selling to a largely cheap kanjoos population in India, who are used to wanting Tata Nanos at US$3000 or even $5000.

I'm sure Tesla's investment will bring some tech infusion in India, which is different than China's market, where the Chinese can go tête-à-tête in technology with their own products.

India has no such locally owned tech competition hence an easy walk-over.

@Beast, @FairAndUnbiased your thoughts

India is mainly a market of 2-3 lakh Rupee local cars, little tinpots hardly better than tuk-tuks, both in pricing and features. Suits the frugal kanjoos clientele locally who neither want nor deserve anything better.

Tesla cars cost a minimum of $39,000 so a copy, even the cheapest one, and that even in China.

Remains to be seen how Tesla recoups their screw-together sunk investments selling to a largely cheap kanjoos population in India, who are used to wanting Tata Nanos at US$3000 or even $5000.

I'm sure Tesla's investment will bring some tech infusion in India, which is different than China's market, where the Chinese can go tête-à-tête in technology with their own products.

India cannot afford Teslas. GDP per capita of India is less than 2K USD. It takes literally decades for the average Indian to save up for one. Even an entire family takes years. On top of that, India is a poor market for electrification due to constant load shedding and electricity theft. No one will be able to ensure that they'd even be able to charge their Teslas. The humidity and heat also damages batteries, resulting in lower reliability. All it will take is for 1-2 Teslas to fail in India to crater their reputation.

Tesla already makes more from US domestic emissions credits than from car sales. In a market without emissions credits and without a significant customer base, their sales are going to be in the toilet.

Butthurts have startd their rants, if we are so poor, or can’t afford Teslas then why are they coming to manufacture here? This plant will cater the whole South Asian region maybe. And its a fact that they are gonna manufacture cars here so keep your data with you:chilli::chilli::chilli:.

India is mainly a market of 2-3 lakh Rupee local cars
The spelling of Bangladesh is not I.N.D.I.A you get it? Come to Bangalore to see how many people have supercars snd who were waiting for Tesla to Arrive, they already have an R&D centre here, in future they will manufacture better cars.

The spelling of Bangladesh is not I.N.D.I.A you get it? Come to Bangalore to see how many people have supercars snd who were waiting for Tesla to Arrive, they already have an R&D centre here, in future they will manufacture better cars.
let Bilal billi to vent. Their country buys all in all 3000 new cars in a year. I am guessing even papa new guinea buys more. He is just a frustrated lungi. That's all.

Just news only. Until the factory is build
I don't think it will happened.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom