What's new

Terrorist attack, hostage situation in Dhaka ; Analysis & Footage

About 120 rivers in the Rajshahi and Khulna division are dying or already dead. The Ganges barrage is planned to rejuvenate them by harvesting the rain water. It will will also prevent the saline intrusion in the rivers.

"If the Ganges Barrage is built, it is estimated that an additional 2.6 million tonnes of food grains would be produced and 240,000 tonnes of fish would be available. Furthermore, the Ganges Barrage would have provided more water to the river near the Rooppur Nuclear Plant, being constructed in Pabna with Russian assistance."
http://www.thedailystar.net/op-ed/politics/why-does-bangladesh-need-the-ganges-barrage-104290
This project is part of the Bangladesh Delta Plan 2100, designed to mitigate the effects of Climate Change.

You know perfectly well about the economic benefits once this barrage is built. However, I must say that many more billions of dollars worth of supplementary jobs will have to be done to make the barrage construction project a success.

The 120 rivers or so that you have mentioned will require dredging and raising their banks. This should be complemented with the construction of many hundreds of sluice gates. It is too expensive for BD to support their construction when it is still a poor country and is without the right kind of engineering/survey manpower.

I have seen in my home district many unwise projects. The river banks have been raised high on both the sides of a flow. But, not a single regulatory water gate can be seen for miles. So, during monsoon the river water flows straight to the downstream Padma, from where it goes to the sea. On the other hand the peasants depend on rainfall and pump up underground water when it could have been different have there been water gates with regulatory system at some intervals along the banks.

Anyway, many and many sluice gates and other structures are a required component to make the Ganges barrage project a success. Controlling water within a small river is not the only issue. It must be supported by also a water management system like when to open the gates and when/where to close. I have not seen anything like this in BD.

Last edited:
You know perfectly well about the economic benefits once this barrage is built. However, I must say that many more billions of dollars worth of supplementary jobs will have to be done to make the barrage construction project a success.

The 120 rivers or so that you have mentioned will require dredging and raising their banks. This should be complemented with the construction of many hundreds of sluice gates. It is too expensive for BD to support their construction when it is still a poor country and is without the right of engineering/survey manpower.

I have seen in my home district many unwise projects. The river banks have been raised high on both the sides of a flow. But, not a single water gate can be seen for miles. So, during monsoon the river water flows straight to the downstream Padma, from where it goes to the sea. On the other hand the peasants depend on rainfall and pump up underground water when it could have been different has there been water gates with regulatory system at some intervals along the banks.

Anyway, many and many sluice gates and other structures are a required component to make the Ganges barrage project a success. Controlling water within a small river is not the only issue. It must be supported by also a water management system like when to open the gates and when/where to close. I have not seen anything like this in BD.

Well,I think this project will take A REALLY LONG time to come to reality....Like 15-25 years..

Thats great! When will this project start?

Not sure... The detailed design and the feasibility report is awaiting approval by the cabinet.

The 120 rivers or so that you have mentioned will require dredging and raising their banks. This should be complemented with the construction of many hundreds of sluice gates. It is too expensive for BD to support their construction when it is still a poor country and is without the right of engineering/survey manpower.

I have seen in my home district many unwise projects. The river banks have been raised high on both the sides of a flow. But, not a single water gate can be seen for miles. So, during monsoon the river water flows straight to the downstream Padma, from where it goes to the sea. On the other hand the peasants depend on rainfall and pump up underground water when it could have been different has there been water gates with regulatory system at some intervals along the banks.

I guess the supplementary works are included in that $4 billion project. The cost-benefit analysis also looks positive. A bit of details could be found here: http://print.thefinancialexpress-bd.com/2015/04/04/87446

I agree there is no dearth of projects in Bangladesh with improper planning but I haven't seen any opponent of this project within Bangladesh so far...

If you're from the North, you may like to read this: http://www.daily-sun.com/arcprint/d...of-Ganges-Barrage-project-demanded/2016-05-25

We are going off topic btw...

Sure thing mate. No problem! Many here feel the same way.

Just don't go about justifying their murders just because....

They were killed by the terrorists who murdered all those innocents who had absolutely nothing to do with killing your brethren. By doing justifying the deaths of those police officers, you are justifying that particular act in which they were KIA.

You gotta be real careful on what you type on the Internet Al-Zakir. This forum has no bars in regards to this. I'd say the same to that turd @idune Though your government hasn't declared anything if ISIS is involved, pledging allegiance to them can get people into serious trouble. Those Americans won't give a damn about your politics.

So, please, for the love of the Ummah, use your brain instead of throwing rocks at everything.

Like I said, don't let your political convictions cloud your judgement! You have no idea of the forces we are dealing with here.

Thanks and I know you mean well. There is no difference between Isis, jmb, Awami leauge or Awami gopali police. They are all low life thug and harami.

By the way, one of the killer involved in gulshaan attack was link to Awami leauge. Salauddin was killed by the people who he served when alive. You see how all mighty listen to mazlum.

Last edited:
http://www.thefinancialexpress-bd.c...ht-of-nine-Italians-were-dining-at-same-table'

Published : 09 Jul 2016, 14:48:12

Eight out of nine Italians were dining together in one table: Eyewitness

It was one of the worst moments of his life. The 32-year-old assistant cook at the Holey Artisan Bakery in Dhaka city had never thought of returning to life. It was horrible, awful!

Shobuz Hossain was describing the worst-ever attacks in modern Bangladesh history, who has seen gunmen’s firing on foreigners on the fateful night of July 1 mentioning eight out of nine Italians sat together in an eight-member table.

“I initially thought that the guests themselves were fighting. I curiously stepped ahead to see. I saw two gunmen - one in front of the main door and another inside restaurant’s hall room,” Hossain said at his tiny one-room residence in the city on Friday afternoon.

He said one of the attackers opened fire targeting a table where eight Italians, out of nine, sat together. “Foods were already served for them. They tried to hide themselves below the table once firing was opened. We were hearing shouting, screaming and gunshots.”

Hossain, who got the job barely 18 months back, said the Japanese citizens sat outside the restaurant’s hall room.

“The Japanese sat in the Lake-side corridor of the restaurant. It’s very breezy location. Many foreigners prefer to sit there,” he said. Hossain, however, does not know how and when the Japanese had been attacked as it is not possible to see outside from inside the kitchen.

The assistant cook used to work under the direct supervision of two foreign chefs - one Italian and another Argentinean.

Right after the Italians came under attack, the Italian chef ran away through the backdoor with the Argentinean chef following him, Hossain said.

“We were 10 people and took shelter inside staff toilet-cum-bathroom adjacent to the kitchen. We were hearing gunshots and bomb explosions,” he said adding that attackers took control over a waiter at gunpoint to guide the attackers.

Slightly before zero hours, the attackers locked the door from outside and switched the lights off inside the bath. After two hours, at about 2am, the attackers appeared again.

“Those who are Bangladeshi, come out. If you don’t come out we’ll hurl grenades,” Hossain quoted assailants as saying.

The attackers checked them all 10, and advised them to go inside the toilet again and locked it out.

“At one stage, we felt suffocation and were facing a problem in breathing as time passes away. We kept saying we are dying inside, please take us out. They didn’t respond,” Hossain said.

By the time, it was dawn, around 6am. Then, he said, they broke the shower pipe and tried to break the steel door.

Finally, a waiter, who was working as guide at gunpoint, came and opened the door. “Six of us went with the waiter and we four had been on the rooftop through stairs. Rab detained us when we jumped in another adjacent building,” Hossain narrated.

He said they were then taken to an adjacent residence in Gulshan area first and later to the Detective Branch office in the city for questioning.

“We were set free around 5pm after questioning. Our family members received us from police,” Hossain said. “I got a new lease of life indeed!” he added hugging his 30-month-old only son.

According to him, restaurant owner Sadat Mehdi owns another restaurant, Izumi Japanese Kitchen, at road number 113 in Gulshan 2.

This correspondent visited the restaurant on Friday and found it closed. Hossain used to work for Izumi before joining Holey Artisan Bakery.

Twenty-two people, including nine Italians, seven Japanese, one Indian national and two policemen were killed inside and outside the café during the attack on July 1.

Later on July 2 morning, six people with five attackers were also killed during a commando operation. Thirteen of the hostages were rescued alive in the operation.

Meanwhile, blood-soaked young man Shawon who was detained from outside the Holey Artisan Bakery during the hostage standoff died at a city hospital on Friday afternoon, according to a news agency.

Last edited:
Why not add BNP to that list too?

Unlike JI and its student Front SHIBIR, BNP is a normal progressive party supported by the majority of population while JI has less than 3% support. BNP tried to rectify that heretic JI party without a success. There are calls from within BNP to discard JI, but BKZ is not in a hurry because the situation now is volatile to see things in their clear perspectives.

Many people would disagree with you.

Just ask @bongbang

I think it is only in this PDF where the Indians are illusive about the character of BNP. The reason is BNP is not a lapdog of India. It was seeking parity between the two countries. India is not willing to respect BD's sovereignty.

The way things are going in my country, I think, the Indian politicians should reckon its faulty policy vis-a-vis BD and show farsightedness by playing neutral between the two political parties. BNP, a progressive party though, was itself not far sighted while in power, it had good relationship with Pakistan and S. Arabia at the expense of India and many other countries. It annoyed China even.

One day India will regret its present role to appease BAL, because, whether you guys understand or not, this very Indian policy is producing people who will remain anti-India for many yrs. These are the majority people.

I think it is only in this PDF where the Indians are illusive about the character of BNP. The reason is BNP is not a lapdog of India. It was seeking parity between the two countries. India is not willing to respect BD's sovereignty.

The way things are going in my country, I think, the Indian politicians should reckon its faulty policy vis-a-vis BD and show farsightedness by playing neutral between the two political parties. BNP, a progressive party though, was itself not far sighted while in power, it had good relationship with Pakistan and S. Arabia at the expense of India and many other countries. It annoyed China even.

One day India will regret its present role to appease BAL, because, whether you guys understand or not, this very Indian policy is producing people who will remain anti-India for many yrs. These are the majority people.

PG-2014-07-14-balance-of-power-4-01.png

70% of Bangladeshis view India positively. So saying anti-India is the majority of Bangladesh is wrong.....just like saying BNP is a "progressive" party.

Both are biased statements by you.

We will continue to support BAL as they are the lesser of two evils (Im not saying they are perfect).

Onus is on you lot to give them and give us your best game and prove that majority of people are behind you.

Till then its just loud claims.

70% of Bangladeshis view India positively. So saying anti-India is the majority of Bangladesh is wrong.....just like saying BNP is a "progressive" party.

We will continue to support BAL as they are the lesser of two evils (Im not saying they are perfect).

Onus is on you lot to give them and give us your best game and prove that majority of people are behind you.

AL tries to get on India's good side,then cares about US,and then China and then Pakistan...While BNP tries to get in middle of all the countries....BNP will be better if they ditch JI...JI is Pakistan worshipping..

AL tries to get on India's good side,then cares about US,and then China and then Pakistan...While BNP tries to get in middle of all the countries....BNP will be better if they ditch JI...JI is Pakistan worshipping..

Yes if BNP sheds this side of it and also becomes meritocracy based....it will get my support (since it will force BAL to reform as well).

But both are based around families. Family dynasties are not what political parties should be centered on....because then people get caught in the family feuds!

It is why I find it a pity that Yunus attempt at creating a party was sunk by Hasina (according to my friend).

There needs to be a new option for Bangladesh....but first Bangladeshis must see beyond this BAL-BNP prism and want something that does away with family politics and focuses squarely on development and merit based rule.

Please do not bring out all those Internet data to prove your point. Come down to our soil, be one of us and you will know the inner mind of the populace. In a free election under a Caretaker Govt. it is possible that BNP will get majority of votes. Now about the majority in the Parliament, it is not easy to say that, but, BNP will win at least 180 out of 300 seats.

BAL and Indian policy in combination is radicalizing the BD society. I personally do not want a re-elected BNP because of its continuous faulty policies in the past. But, a true democracy and a fair election system are the two indispensable elements to bring back the social harmony. Whatever may be the result of election it must be free and fair.

Please do not bring out all those Internet data to prove your point. Come down to our soil, be one of us and you will know the inner mind of the populace. In a free election under a Caretaker Govt. it is possible that BNP will get majority of votes. Now about the majority in the Parliament, it is not easy to say that, but, BNP will win at least 180 out of 300 seats.

BAL and Indian policy in combination is radicalizing the BD society. I personally do not want a re-elected BNP because of its continuous faulty policies in the past. But, a true democracy and a fair election system are the two indispensable elements to bring back the social harmony. Whatever may be the result of election it must be free and fair.

Believe whatever you want to believe. The person without numbers and data will simply make them up or say "please come and see for yourself"....like its possible for one visitor to get an accurate impression compared to a survey done by the Pew group.

Back
Top Bottom