What's new

Tencent Holdings

Lol we chat still considered to be unknown outside Chinese speaking world, and it basically different than Facebook (it was closer to ICQ and IM) it will take them ages to "overtake" Facebook, what I mean ages means really long time
Lol we chat still considered to be unknown outside Chinese speaking world, and it basically different than Facebook (it was closer to ICQ and IM) it will take them ages to "overtake" Facebook, what I mean ages means really long time

:lol: WeChat only started only 2 years ago and it's already overtaken Facebook in China. Now they are going global. Many of my foreign friends are using WeChat already.

Within 5 years WeChat will the dominant. Bookmark it!

Cry harder! 
I use wechat and what apps too, and trust me, I know a lot of people in Australia, US and Sweden.

And bear in mind, I did not say we chat and what's apps did not use world wide, I say it virtually unheard of in non-Chinese speaking society
If you ask an Australian or American of non-Chinese background, majority (more than 5 out of 10) will say they never hear of we chat

And again, we hat designed unlike face books, you probably can complete with tweeter, but definitely not facebook

Beside, china banned Facebook and twitter remember? What else can they use in china? We chat were basically Unopposed in china and the majority of those user are in china of a ratio of 10 : 1 (1 billion : 100 millions) according to the article, how they fare in the real world, not protected world is an unknown

And finally, I don't know how "professional" can an article get from a source called "fool.com" which is where OP article is quoted, if you bother to read the Forbes article, you will see they paint a different picture

That is why even china have to unblock YouTube, Facebook and twitter in shanghai SEZ lol

Unblock YouTube, Facebook and twitter? :lol:
You wish!

China's WeChat crosses 100 million users in international markets - Economic Times

Since its international debut, WeChat has been well received in Asia, quickly becoming the most popular mobile social app in India, Hong Kong, Indonesia and Malaysia across multiple smartphone operating systems, where the user base has recently gained tremendous growth. UK-based GlobalWebIndex found that WeChat was the fifth most used smartphone app worldwide.

Last edited:
The reason why I downloaded WeChat was because of the recent NSA shiß. I worry less about the Chinese gov. spying on me since I'm pretty much out of reach for them. But the US has too many moles in our institutions. Now, I'm asking my friends to use WeChat as well and all of them think it's quite funny with all the little gimmicks.

The thing is that the Yankees have being monopolising Internet companies for a long time with their thuggish behaviour. Since only their companies have gone global, they have had no competition until now. Realising the Yankee spying on everyone, people will want to move to non-Yankee companies and this is where Chinese companies can grab marketshare.

Our companies are now starting to go global after consolidating their position in the Chinese market.

This will allow people around the world that want alternatives to Yankee companies to have more options.

Once again it is we who are ending Yankee monopoly positions. No wonder they hate us. I love it :D

:lol: WeChat only started only 2 years ago and it's already overtaken Facebook in China. Now they are going global. Many of my foreign friends are using WeChat already.

Within 5 years WeChat will the dominant. Bookmark it!

Cry harder! 

Unblock YouTube, Facebook and twitter? :lol:
You wish!

China's WeChat crosses 100 million users in international markets - Economic Times

Dude, of course wechat have taken over Facebook in china, Chinese government BLOCKED Facebook access within china...

China plans to launch free-trade zone, but still bans Facebook use

Lol oh my god, Chinese genius at work....

Umm, they are

China lifts ban on Facebook - but only for people living and working within a small area of Shanghai | Mail Online

Yet another glorious moment for Chinese 50 cents army, you need to check with your supervisor with that

Welcome “WeChat”, new social media king, as it overthrows Facebook with 1Billion+ users

WeChat – News king of social media

Who is the new King of the web? It’s not Twitter, Google+ or LinkedIn. It’s a company that most people in the West don’t know. That, however, is set to change, with the explosive growth of China’s Tencent and its mobile messaging app WeChat…

Last week, Facebook, the current king of social networks, admitted that it’s losing teen users, and that the overall growth in its monthly active users has slowed to 18% year-on-year. This isn’t helped by the fact that it and other Western social networks are banned in China. By contrast, Tencent recently announced that WeChat’s users have almost tripled from the 85 million of the year before.

And Tencent’s reach – unlike local Twitter-equivalent Sina Weibo and Facebook-equivalent RenRen – is not just restricted to China. WeChat was rebranded from the more Chinese-sounding Weixin to appeal to an international audience, and it’s now virally coming across here. In just four months between May and September 2013, its overseas users have doubled from 50m to 100m.

So, in an increasingly crowded mobile messaging, what is Tencent and WeChat doing right?

First, it has managed to differentiate its product with some killer features that keep users coming back for more. On the messaging side, users can “hold-to-talk” and send free walkie-talkie style messages that bypass the need for voicemail. Yet what keeps its network growing are fun discovery features that can connect users locally and across continents.

WeChat has neatly fused together the open approach of social networks such as Twitter, where anyone can follow anybody, and more closed networks such as Facebook, which rely on mutual friend connections. It’s growing virally through social connection and not just social media.

For instance, the ability to identify “People Nearby” can make the daily commute or a night out with friends much more interesting. Here is a quick summary of my results when looking for other WeChat users in London…

Alternatively, you can “shake” your smartphone, and be connected with other users anywhere in the world who are shaking their phones at the same moment.

In growing its international user base, Tencent has brought on board brand ambassadors, such NBA star LeBron James, soccer star Lionel Messi and Bollywood actors Varun Dhawan and Parineeti Chopra, who users can follow and interact with.

Massive Value Creation

Shaking and tapping on smartphones are not just gimmicks: floated on the Hong Kong stock-exchange in 2004 (the same year as Google), Tencent has far outstripped Google in the rate of appreciation of its share price, up 104 times on it IPO price compared to Google’s 8.5 times price appreciation.

With a $101bn US market cap (still some way off Google’s $343bn valuation), Tencent joins Yahoo!, eBay and Amazon among the world’s most valuable internet companies.

From Copycat To WeChat

Like many of China’s tech companies, Tencent’s roots lie in the “copycat innovation” and localization of what was happening in Silicon Valley. The company was founded in 1998 by Shenzhen University computer sciences graduate Huateng “Pony” Ma, and five classmates. Its first product, OICQ or Open ICQ, was a Chinese copy of the popular ICQ desktop instant messenger that had been acquired by AOL in the same year. When AOL filed a lawsuit in March 2000 for violation of its intellectual property, Tencent eventually lost the battle and changed the name of the product from OICQ to QQ, as it is still known today.

With an increase in user numbers but unable to cash in on its huge user base, Pony and his co-founders nearly had to sell the company. A big early success was in attracting venture capital – in 2000, Pacific Century CyberWorks and IDG invested $4 million for a 40% stake, proving to be the kick-start that Tencent needed.

A big part of the success of WeChat has been down to the fact that, when other companies continued to develop for the desktop, founder Pony Ma made a big bet on mobile. A CEO known for his understanding of and investment in long-term growth, a few years ago Pony made the smart move to shift more than half of its 20,000 employees to focus on mobile. Although Tencent’s mobile business has not been the source of its revenue (70% of its revenue is from user payments and the rest from commerce), Tencent expects that eventually “the real value is the connection of the phone with business offline.”

Pony is currently ranked third in Hurun Rich List and fifth in Forbes Chinese Rich List. Reflecting on the “copycat years”, he attributed his early success to a combination of copying and luck:

“When we were a small company, we needed to stand on the shoulders of giants to grow up.” Paraphrasing a quote attributed to Isaac Newton, he added, “If I have seen further it is by standing on the shoulders of giants.”

Pony is known to pay attention to details that most big companies ignore, drawing comparisons with the late Steve Jobs. Indeed, even Jobs owned up to a degree of copycat innovation in launching new products – when he unveiled the iBooks app at the launch of the iPad in 2010, he acknowledged that it bore similarities to Amazon’s Kindle: “Amazon’s done a great job of pioneering this functionality with the Kindle. We’re going to stand on their shoulders and go a little further.”

However, Pony didn’t want to stop with copying, adding:

But copying others can’t make you great. So the key is how to localize a great idea and create domestic innovation.”

A company veteran added: “it was entrepreneurship, concentration and passion that helped Pony succeed.”
WeGlobal?

Despite WeChat’s frightening domestic and overseas exponential growth rate, it doesn’t have it all its own way in the global market. Martin Lau, President of Tencent, acknowledges that the US remains something of a sticking point, commenting at a conference at Stanford University last month, “US is a very tough market. You have your free SMS which takes away the cost appeal of microchat. You have [Apple’s] iMessage… We will try to find ways to provide differentiated services.”

WeChat is also up against WhatsApp, a hypergrowth American startup that also almost doubled its monthly active users to 350m from 200m in April. Other competitors, such as Viber and Japan’s Line exist, but tellingly, they won’t reveal their monthly user figures.

So there’s an interesting global battleground setting up: both between Facebook, Tencent and WhatsApp in global social media and messaging, and Amazon, eBay and Alibaba in global e-commerce. LinkedIn is currently the leading professional social network and doesn’t have a recognised global direct competitor: it will be interesting to see if one emerges from China or elsewhere.

I’m confident that Tencent will overtake Facebook, although partly because China’s population is bigger and partly because it has an unfair advantage over Western competitors blocked out of the Chinese market. This needs to change.

My overall prediction for the next few years is that Tencent will build a significant global business of great value: with products and brands we’ll increasingly come to know, interact with – and maybe even love.

Welcome “WeChat”, new social media king, as it overthrows Facebook with 1Billion+ users | OSUN DEFENDER

• Yep, games are going to be a giant cash cow for WeChat
    hamishmckenzie.png
    By Hamish McKenzie
    On October 31, 2013

wechat.jpg

The tech world by now is pretty much fully awake to the fact that messaging apps are the new social networks, and that the likes of Japan’s Line, South Korea’s KakaoTalk, and China’s WeChat (Weixin, as its known at home) are, essentially, the “new Facebooks.”

The numbers put up these newcomers are staggering. WeChat now claims somewhere in the order of 500 million users, while Line claims more than 200 million users and KakaoTalk more than 100 million, despite being centered in relatively small markets. To get a sense of how big these things are, consider Paul McCartney. The former Beatle has 1.6 million followers on Twitter, a point of pride for the soon-to-be-public social media network. But on Line, McCartney’s two-week-old account has already accrued 3.8 million followers.

But it’s the revenue figures that are really getting people buzzing. In the second quarter of 2013 alone, two-year-old Line recorded $132 million in revenue and is already said to be mulling an IPO. In the first half of 2013, KakaoTalk surpassed $311 million in revenue – and that was just from gaming revenue. (By the way, I’ve now linked to four pieces by The Next Web’s Jon Russell, who is all over this trend.)

The biggest of the messaging giants, and the most important to keep an eye on, however, sits in the world’s largest Internet market. And according to new figures from one of China’s leading Android app stores (the country doesn’t have a Google Play store, so there’s an abundance of pretenders), it’s clear that games are going to be a huge deal for it, too.

WeChat, which is owned by the $100 billion-plus behemoth Tencent, has taken its time with monetization, even as it has secured a stranglehold on the Chinese mobile market. That is likely because it has been studying Kakao, in which Tencent holds a 13.8 percent stake.

Given Tencent’s historical power as a game publisher and distributor – games account for much of the company’s revenue – some people may have been surprised that the company took so long to launch a gaming platform for WeChat. It wasn’t until August that Tencent finally flipped the switch on the messaging app’s gaming center. But now that it has done so, we’re already seeing early indications that games will be just as lucrative for WeChat as they are for Kakao and Line, whose games platform saw 150 million downloads in its first three months.

A report released today by Android app store Wandoujia, which itself has 200 million users, point to the success of two early WeChat games.

The “Guitar Hero”-like “Rhythm Master,” which features hit Chinese pop music, has seen 919,000 monthly downloads through Wandoujia. The game asks users to log in with WeChat and share their results with friends at the end of each round.

And “WeRunner,” a racing game featuring cartoon characters and a social scoreboard, has been downloaded 522,000 times for each month of its existence. “WeRunner,” in which players can buy virtual items to improve game play, brought in $16 million in its first month and peaked at $1 million a day, according to Tencent’s own news service.

These are still the very earliest of days for WeChat, let alone its gaming platform. But these are numbers that would make any Internet company giddy. That they are happening under the watch of a company that threatens to surpass Facebook in market cap, a company that has deep enough pockets to buy Riot Games for $400 million and is rumored to be behind a giant funding round for Snapchat, should be reason enough for a few US-based competitors to get a little nervous. Or at least watchful.

The messaging revolution, it is clear, will not be confined to messaging alone.

Yep, games are going to be a giant cash cow for WeChat | PandoDaily

I use WeChat and it's miles better than any crap from Facebook. This Facebook app is a lapdog of the US NSA program. I am very glad that I am not being spy by Facebook. I'm getting tired of having my information expose to advertiser.

I use WeChat and it's miles better than any crap from Facebook. This Facebook app is a lapdog of the US NSA program. I am very glad that I am not being spy by Facebook. I'm getting tired of having my information expose to advertiser.

Fools are stuck with Facebook while the smart money and guys have migrated to WeChat。:D

Fools are stuck with Facebook while the smart money and guys have migrated to WeChat。:D
To be fair, I used fake account information on Facebook so they never got real information from me. LMAO

WeChat helps Tencent make over HK$ 637m in Single's Day sales
WeChat helps Tencent make over HK$ 637m in Single's Day sales | South China Morning Post

An integrated sales campaign that let smartphone users purchase goods via WeChat helped Tencent's profits on China's biggest online sales day

Tencent, the mainland’s largest listed internet company, racked in millions of yuan this week partly through the nimble use of mobile e-commerce, allowing users of its popular WeChat messaging software to make fast purchases through their smartphones.

On November 11, Tencent’s 51buy website offered the usual extensive sales that have become the norm on Single’s Day, one of China’s biggest online shopping festivals.

Sometimes referred to as “Double 11” day, Single’s Day brought over 500 million yuan (HK$ 637 million) in profit to Tencent this year, partly thanks to an integrated campaign between the 51buy website and Tencent’s WeChat mobile app.

The campaign allowed smartphone owners to view and order products available on 51buy with relative ease through WeChat’s menus, and was aimed at residents in Beijing, Shanghai, Shenzhen and Guangzhou.

Despite these city restrictions, of the roughly 600,000 51buy orders made on Singles Day, orders via WeChat exceeded 80,000. Members of China’s online community have labeled the process a low-key success, even going so far as to call it Tencent’s “secret weapon”.

Others speculated that the ubiquitous nature of WeChat and the ease of shopping it provided was one edge that Tencent had over its chief rival Alibaba, which organised the majority of its Singles Day promotions through the online websites Tmall.com and Taobao.com, generating over 35 billion yuan (HK$ 46 billion) in revenue.

Tmall.com and Taobao.com both have mobile versions, but neither enjoy the popularity of WeChat, which boasts nearly 300 million monthly active users.

“Customers can purchase their preferred products faster [on WeChat],” wrote a blogger using the name Huo Shan on Huxiu.com, a Chinese business and technology website. “All you need to do is click on the product you want to buy and you can purchase it directly, eliminating the step of adding an online shopping cart… By registering your bank card with [WeChat], you can complete the entire shopping process rapidly.

“In contrast, the PC user’s [shopping] experience is filled with pop-up adverts, and for many people, their first reaction after seeing such adverts is to turn them off…There are also various channels of third-party payment… WeChat offers a minimalist experience. As long as you have registered your bank card, you can pay quickly, omitting third-party payment links. It’s no exaggeration to say that this is a big advantage [Tencent has] over Alibaba.”

Other netizens argued that despite the ease of using WeChat, Tencent needed to promote the integrated nature of its 51buy shopping campaign more extensively and offer a greater variety of items up for mobile purchase.

According to Chinese financial portal STCN.com, while tablet computers were some of the most commonly purchased products by Singles Day shoppers, WeChat listings only displayed 30 different models available for purchase, while many more were available on the actual 51buy website.

“Shopping habits in the mobile space are different from the PC space,” Song Yang, Tencent’s deputy general manager for e-commerce, explained to STCN.com. “The PC space is more search driven while the phone space is meant to be simple, convenient, and good for quick decision-making… For [WeChat], rather than showing all models, we decided to go with a selection of the year’s best-selling goods instead.

“We believe that [this year’s Singles Day WeChat sales] were mainly testing the water and positioning us to understand the needs of mobile users,” Song acknowledged, pointing out that Tencent’s usage of WeChat in its sales promotions was an ongoing experiment and would likely change and improve over time.

Shopping via WeChat is only one of the features Tencent has rolled out this past year in an effort to improve its 51buy e-commerce offerings and catch up with rival Alibaba.

In 2012, Tencent's e-commerce revenue stood at roughly 4.4 billion yuan (HK$ 6 billion) while Alibaba's profits maxed out at 1 trillion yuan (HK$ 1.3 trillion).

If Tencent were listed in Mainland China,its market cap would be at least twice its current value in the Hong Kong Stock Exchange。

It is time that Tencent moves its primary listing on to the SSE and makes itself the largest internet company by market capitalization in the world as soon as possible。

Back
Top Bottom