What's new

Ten best fighters according to strategy site.

air marshal

ELITE MEMBER
Reaction score
What are the ten best fighter aircraft out there, and which of these planes are better than the others at the top of the heap? Fighters have one primary mission: seize control of the air, and enable their side’s attack planes to get through while also preventing the opposing side from attacking friendly forces and bases. Many of these fighters have also proven themselves to be adept at other roles (ground attack, anti-ship) as well, but their primary purpose is to control the air.

1. F/A-22 Raptor. This is the F-15C’s replacement. Entering service this year, it renders every other air-superiority aircraft obsolete. This is a plane that can not only outfly any other plane in the world, outrun any other plane in the world, and it can do so while remaining virtually unseen. The F-22 is a true heir to the F-15, and could do so in another fashion if Lockheed’s FB-22 proposal takes off.

2. F-35. This plane will be the new F-16 in ten years. Not only is this replacing the F-16, the A-10, the AV-8B, and some F/A-18s in U.S. service, but it will replace aircraft in other countries as well. Like the F-16, it will be produced in numbers. When it enters service, it will outclass many aircraft.

3. Dassault Rafale. Another European multi-role fighter with some stealth built in, this aircraft not only carries out the air-to-air and attack missions, it also comes in a naval version. Its first export order was recently signed – to Saudi Arabia. Equipped with French air-to-air missiles, it edges out the Eurofighter since its naval version could interest other countries who have carriers (Brazil and India come to mind).

4. Eurofighter Typhoon. A low-observable multi-role fighter. It is fast, maneuverable, and carries a lot of air-to-air missiles. It also can be used for attack missions as well. This is a fighter that will be the backbone of at least four air forces (the UK, Spain, Germany, and Italy).

5. F-14D Tomcat. This is a plane that had aged like fine wine. Originally designed to face the Tu-22M3 Backfire bomber in protection of American carriers, it has become a carrier-launched version of the F-15E. Capable of long-range attacks using the AIM-54 Phoenix, the F-14 proved it was capable of dogfighting in two incidents with Libya (the U.S. Navy fighters scored four kills for no losses). This is a plane retiring before its time.

6. Su-27 Flanker. This was built to counter the F-15, and it has become one of the more feared aircraft out of Russia. Highly maneuverable, it is equipped and designed for a dogfight, it has been exported. The wide export market for this plane and its variants (the Su-30 in particular) is the primary reason for the F-22.

7. F-16C Fighting Falcon. This is a bird that has become a classic. Widely exported, and it has amassed a solid record. Still being built to special order for export customers, it not only has scored air-to-air kills in service with the United States, Israel, and Pakistan, but it is also one of the most numerous modern fighters in service today.

8. F-15C Eagle. This is perhaps one of the last of the single-purpose aircraft. This plane has done one thing for 30 years (air-to-air combat), and done it well (over 100 kills to no losses). However, what is remarkable is the almost-untapped potential the airframe has as a ground-attack platform. The F-15E Strike Eagle has become a superb multi-role fighter. However, the F-15 has gotten long in the tooth for air superiority.

9. F/A-18E/F Super Hornet. This is the ultimate Hornet, without the range limitations of the F/A-18A/B/C/D, and with two extra weapons pylons. This fighter is based on a proven design, and has even been used as a tanker with the premature retirement of the S-3 Viking. Sheer versatility – and improvement from the original make the Super Hornet’s place on this list a secure one.

10. The JAS.39 Gripen. This is a small single-seat fighter using the American F404 turbofan engine. This aircraft is capable of numerous missions (point-defense interceptor, ground attack fighter, and even anti-shipping). It is highly maneuverable, and is a worthy successor to the Draken and Viggen interceptors that Sweden has built. This is what the 1980s F-20 Tigershark (an early competitor of the F-16 and F-18) could have been, had it not been stillborn.

In order to be in the top ten, you need, combat expeince, cost, etc.
In that case

1. F-15/a/b/c/d: Best morden fighter yet. Invloved in combat throughtout the world. And has shot down 101 fighters with out losing any one of it's own.
2. F-16ab/c/d: Also saw combat and a highly sucees full fighter. It too has seen combat and has destoryed about 90 fighters. Also about 4000 of these have been made, and compleate sucess. And it does'nt cost alot.
Etc this is just a exmple.

But if you are rating fighters for their tech then

Fa-22. Best fighter yet
eurofighter: Very close to fa-22 but lacks full stealth,
rafale: Again lacks stealth and is'nt that close to eurofighter and fa-22 in tech comperison.
JSF: Yes it's a 5th gen fighter but unlike the fighters above, it's not a "workhorse". So before unleashing these fighters one needs air superiourty whcih USAF can easily do with it's raptors
JAS39: 30% smaller then f-16, good techonlgies involved

(Note: SU-30MKI should be somehwere here too but don't know where)

All te other fighters i guess. I don't have much time right now. :)

Keep in mind no one liners. These threads have been created in the past and have caused some trouble.

If you dont know how to anaylse or/and can't take on every fighter like Thunder did above. Dont post.

Thanks

Su-27??????? What on earth happened to Su-30 and Su-35 - one of the most sophisticated aircrafts around?!?! Su-27 is nothing compared to those two!*shocked*

I would go for F-22 :buck: , because of tech, speed, menuaverability and stealth. For te next ten years this aircraft will keep its air dominanace. If i am pointing Raptor, that does'nt mean we can neglect other fighters. F-16 will still remain my favourite aircraft. You can't forget its sexy :rolleyes: "nose" and marvelouse shape.

It's not easy for some one who's got some knowledge about aviation to differentiate aircrafts. Because he would have to take some many different things in consideration such as , history, track record, agilitiy, fear factor, performance and alot more other stuff.

I'm not against any particular fighter jet but just to set some facts straight, the only main advantage the F-22 has over Su-35 (Russia's most advanced jet currently) is 'stealth'.

Originally posted by Sid@Mar 23 2006, 03:46 PM
the only main advantage the F-22 has over Su-35 (Russia's most advanced jet currently) is 'stealth'.
[post=7618]Quoted post[/post]​

Is'nt that enough :laugh:

I mean no offence alrite!!!

Originally posted by Sid@Mar 23 2006, 11:16 AM
I'm not against any particular fighter jet but just to set some facts straight, the only main advantage the F-22 has over Su-35 (Russia's most advanced jet currently) is 'stealth'.
[post=7618]Quoted post[/post]​
Stealth,Super cruise capability and its advanced avionics.F-22 has a lot of advantages over Su-35.

Yes that is why my use of the wording 'main advantage'. The Russians have not been able to come up with Stealth technology which is on par with US tech.

Originally posted by Sid@Mar 23 2006, 02:32 PM
Yes that is why my use of the wording 'main advantage'. The Russians have not been able to come up with Stealth technology which is on par with US tech.
[post=7632]Quoted post[/post]​

The Russians have not been able to come up with "Supercruise capability" (which helps the pilot to enter and exit hostile areas very quickly) and they don't have anything that even comes close to the AN/APG-77 used in the Raptors, yet. These capabilities are equally important when it comes to air domination.

Availability of funds for R&D makes a big difference as well.

Originally posted by Hammer@Mar 24 2006, 05:07 PM
Availability of funds for R&D makes a big difference as well.
[post=7672]Quoted post[/post]​

Yes! thats the main issue which russians are facing these days, otherwise they also have people who can develope all these sort of techs. Money Power Man $$$$$ :cool:

Rafale is better than Eurofighter Typhoon? :huh: I heard that Typhoon is the 2nd best fighter, superior than Rafale also, MKI, SU37 super flankers and mig-35 are not in the list. However, they are in the category of top 10 fighters. The artical also says that F-16C is superior than F-18E/F (which uses AESA technology). :shocked: I don't agree with that.

Originally posted by Owais@Mar 24 2006, 10:12 PM
I heard that Typhoon is the 2nd best fighter, superior than Rafale also, MKI, SU37 super flankers and mig-35 are not in the list.
Typhoon is the only other aircraft to have 'Supercruise capability' other than the Raptor.

Originally posted by Hammer@Mar 28 2006, 02:58 PM
Typhoon is the only other aircraft to have 'Supercruise capability' other than the Raptor.
[post=7999]Quoted post[/post]​

They also have the 2nd best stealth, mounverabilty, BVR etc. A euro fighter i like a middile-class man's F-22 :D

Eurofighter is one of the effective fighters after the F-22 Raptor. JSFs stealth features and electronics is being reduced for the third party customers other than the U.S. Even Australians (A very good ally of U.S) is getting a reduced stealth features, it will not be completely stealthy!

JSF is probably after the Eurofighter in terms of the regular aspects of a modern fighter. Rafale i think comes to the 4th or 3rd, not many countries have been impressed by this aircraft. South Korea have really kicked on the Dessaults stomach by going with F-15s in competition with Rafale.

Su-27 and its variants are one of the most menuverable fighters out there with the decent beyond visual range missiles and are one of the biggest threats in Asia for which measures are being taken by Americans and their allies.

Back
Top Bottom