What's new

Team USA

Business Owners Donate 60 Turkey Dinners To People on Rochester's Northeast Side

ROCHESTER, N.Y. -- Boxes filled with turkey, stuffing and potatoes; all the fixings for the perfect Thanksgiving meal and all for people on Rochester's northeast side, courtesy of Qamar Abbas and A.K. Foodmart.

"I see a lot of families struggling every day," said Abbas, owner of A.K. Foodmart. "You know, I make money off of them, so I just want to give something back," Abbas said.

This is the second year Abbas and the owner of Speedy Mart on St. Paul Street and Norton Street have given back to their customers. They're following a pillar in their Muslim faith: charity.

"The image of Muslims has been really bad, especially after what happened in Paris," Abbas said. "So, I just want people to know not all Muslims are bad."

Pamela Reese-Smith from the Northeast Neighborhood Service Center coordinated deliveries. She said she hopes people see past faith and take note on Abbas' generosity.

"They bought all ingredients to do 60 Thanksgiving baskets and they asked us to give them to some of the neediest families that we have," Reese-Smith said.

That's 10 more baskets than last year, bringing smiles to those who need it most.

"This is the end of the month so a lot of people on fixed incomes, and so this is going to help them have a little Thanksgiving dinner along with everyone else," Reese-Smith said.

Meanwhile, these early tidings of joy from Abbas and his co-giver seem like a simple good deed.

"It just came to my mind and we did it," Abbas said. "There really wasn't much else to it to be honest with you."

Everyone have a great Thanksgiving!

b27e9976-788d-47e0-ab1a-92fc64afd7f2_560_420.jpg

Can american members please answer what is the perception of catholic schools in USA? Are they considered better than public schools or inferior to public schools ?

Can american members please answer what is the perception of catholic schools in USA? Are they considered better than public schools or inferior to public schools ?

From what I've personally seen and heard (from friends who attended and parents who sent them there), they have good reputations for the most part. They're for the most part considered better then public schools due at least in part to kids getting a better overall education.

better over all structure for students as well.

Unfortunately more and more parents have had to pull their kids out because of rising tuition costs.

From what I've personally seen and heard (from friends who attended and parents who sent them there), they have good reputations for the most part. They're for the most part considered better then public schools due at least in part to kids getting a better overall education.

better over all structure for students as well.

Unfortunately more and more parents have had to pull their kids out because of rising tuition costs.
Thank you. Mr KAL-EL

Thank you. Mr KAL-EL

You're welcome my friend!

I only represent one American perspective, but I grew up with many friends who attended Catholic School their entire school aged lives, so I'd like to think I have some useful perspectiveness :)

Last edited:
You're welcome my friend!

I only represent one American perspective, but I grew up with many friends who attended Catholic School their entire school aged lives, so I'd like to think I have some useful perspectiveness :)
Your response is more than enough. I just wanted the common perception. I myself suspected that students from catholic schools are better educated. You affirmed the suspicion.

Last edited:
Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom