What's new

Team USA

When Americans want to describe how far away a place is they always give the "distance" as a driving time rather than an actual distance.

For example saying I live 3 hours away rather than saying I live 160 miles away.

They only mention miles when the driving time is unknown and long...and then generically.

Person1: Hey can you drive me home...I live in Smalltown.
Person2: Smalltown..WTF..that's like...uh...a 100 miles away from here!

Actually I did but the pdf search is not working properly.

haha ok...I finally see your point.

Eggs come in either white or brown and in multiple sizes

Hmmm...guess which chicken lays which color...
View attachment 162055

Chicken egg sizes - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

View attachment 162054

View attachment 162056

So you have (caged, free range, or organic) brown and white in multiple egg sizes and then you can buy them in 4, 6, 12, 18, 24, and even 36 packs.

View attachment 162059
Even Omega 3 ones.

Before we start on the breads, how many types of milk (not just packaged sizes) are there in a typical US supermarket? Fat content? Flavors? Pretty long list I'd imagine.

It would be a mind boggling number of combinations if someone sent a person to the supermarket for some milk, eggs and bread, even if specified to be one gallon, one dozen eggs and one loaf, respectively.

The prepackaged Bread Aisle (with the equally crazy dry Cereal selection)
Screen shot 2014-12-10 at 10.57.16 PM.png

The Fresh Bakery Bread Aisle
Screen shot 2014-12-10 at 11.09.20 PM.png

Frozen Bread
Screen shot 2014-12-10 at 11.21.09 PM.png

A bit overwhelmed??
Screen shot 2014-12-10 at 10.58.52 PM.png

Too many combination to even think about. 4, 5, 8,12 grain breads. Cinnamon/Raisin Bread, honey wheat breads..organics..too many brands and combinations to try. Bagels, hotdog rolls, hamburger buns, bite size rolls, pita, the list goes on and on.

Milk in different flavors and sizes
Screen shot 2014-12-10 at 11.26.19 PM.png
Screen shot 2014-12-10 at 11.33.00 PM.png

Cereal

Don't forget the Ice Cream Aisle!
Screen shot 2014-12-11 at 12.15.51 AM.png

The Soda and Chips aisle
Screen shot 2014-12-11 at 12.20.14 AM.png

Last edited:
back to dogs aren't treated like...dogs...

Pet Industry Market Size & Ownership Statistics

Screen shot 2014-12-12 at 7.27.13 PM.png

For 2014, it estimated that $58.51 billion will be spent on our pets in the U.S.

Estimated Breakdown:
Food: $22.62 billion
Supplies/OTC Medicine: $13.72 billion
Vet Care: $15.25 billion
Live animal purchases $2.19 billion
Pet Services: grooming & boarding: $4.73 billion

Hmmm..we spend more money on pets than most countries do for their defense budgets.

US Animal Hospitals & Medical Centers
Look at how many animal hospitals are in my state....125!!!!! WTF!!
Massachusetts • Animal Hospitals & Medical Centers • MA

Last edited:

Each one is a mini-mall in itself. Together they make up a mega-mall. Shopping heaven! :D

American culture: Jeans - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Screen shot 2014-12-13 at 11.40.19 PM.png
Screen shot 2014-12-13 at 11.43.42 PM.png
Screen shot 2014-12-14 at 12.01.20 AM.png

BBC News - How jeans conquered the world

"It's difficult to find a garment as widely embraced, worn and loved the world over as jeans. The classic symbol of the American West is now a staple in wardrobes around the world. But why?
Cowboys may wear them but so do supermodels, farmers, presidents and housewives.

Ask any group of people why they wear jeans and you will get a range of answers. For some they're comfortable, durable and easy - for others they're sexy and cool. Jeans mean different things to different people. Does this explain their wide appeal?

It is a subject that is relatively unstudied, says anthropologist Danny Miller, whose book Blue Jeans will be published next month.

In every country he has visited - from the Philippines to Turkey, India and Brazil - Miller has stopped and counted the first 100 people to walk by, and in each he found that almost half the population wore jeans on any given day.

Jeans are everywhere, he says, with the exception of rural tracts of China and South Asia."

Last edited:
American culture: T-shirt - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Screen shot 2014-12-14 at 9.33.35 AM.png
Screen shot 2014-12-14 at 9.37.22 AM.png
Screen shot 2014-12-14 at 9.39.29 AM.png

At 100, the ubiquitous T-shirt not worn out yet

"
WATERLOO, Iowa --- The T-shirt is 100 years old. Not a specific moth-eaten shirt in the back of a closet --- the concept of garment itself turns 100 this year.

The top non-work attire in the U.S. first appeared in 1913 as a U.S. Navy-issued crewneck to be worn under sailors' uniforms. T-shirts are now so common in American society that it seems strange, even to those who sell T-shirts, that something so ubiquitous would have such a definite beginning.

"I sell them and I never thought they had an anniversary," said Keith Sandvold, of Craft Cochran Screen printing and Embroidery in Waterloo. "I thought they came with God, Adam and Eve and the T-shirt."

Since their humble beginnings, T-shirts have become more than a piece of clothing. They can be political statements, alma mater advertisers, prizes, promotions, casualties of breakups and more."

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom