What's new

Taxes on solar panels: Say bye to cheap electricity

In the past, businessmen were only importing duty free multipurpose batteries from America, Germany and China in the name of solar energy and were selling them in local market where people are using them in UPS and vehicles. They earned millions in few months, as there was no check and balance. Importer just had to produce a letter from AEDB. Later on when local battery manufacturers raised their concern over this issue ' as they suffered with drastic low sale' Pakistan customs verbally changed the procedure and announce to clear only those battery shipments which are coming as a whole set including solar panels, inverter and other equipment. Again, Pakistanis are genius, they started another thing, they go to china and purchase fake and Non-usable solar panels in Kilos and declare them as a complete solar set here in Pakistan customs. This was the whole story, and I think Exide, volta and other battery manufacturer companies made them do this... Allah knows but 32.5% is too much.

The reason for taking such actions - as imposing hefty taxes on imported solar panels - is pretty simple. It's corruption.

Even from the time of Pervez Musharraf, the installed capacity was enough for the total needs of the country. Then, before the 2008 elections, an energy crisis developed deliberately in all sectors; this was all due to the decision of Pakistani and international establishment's decision to bring down Pervez Musharraf. That coupled to the murder of Benazir Bhutto led to PML-Q loosing it's seats as the masses blamed them for all the load-shedding.

PPP govt. knew from the day one that it was all about circular debt. They could have paid some of it but they went to the rental power projects because there was more money in them.

During Pervez Musharraf's time, there were many licences issued to produce wind power projects. PPP govt. did not support them at all because the time to get commissions was already over. The result was only one project completed.

Now, Nawaz Sharif govt. wants to add only those projects to National grid which were started by this govt. so, either Ganja family was financially involved in the project or it received Kick-backs.

If people start buying solar panels, generating their own electricity, govt. will lose and effective method to control the people. The other disadvantage for the govt. will be that if there is no need of more electricity, then govt. will lose the opportunity to start new projects and lose the commissions it could make from them.

It's just corruption - corruption and more corruption.

No, im talking about people in Pakistan, as in the common Pakistanis, a good majority of whom don't pay all of their taxes and some even steal electricity , especially in the cities like Lahore.
they are thieves . i visited once in my life lahore in 1998 for few days don't know more

Finally PML-N does some thing right . I am all for this , wanna sell it here build it here . Tax rate should have been 60% .

Yeah and create a monopoly of companies like Honda and Toyota and Suzuki who sell shit products at stupid prices.

Why the duck can't we import better Suzuki or Toyota models than mehran?
If you want to sell...make a good product. Do not deny the other guy of his riht to sell and blocking him out.

Yeah and create a monopoly of companies like Honda and Toyota and Suzuki who sell shit products at stupid prices.

Why the duck can't we import better Suzuki or Toyota models than mehran?
If you want to sell...make a good product. Do not deny the other guy of his riht to sell and blocking him out.

No one is saying don't import it , they are free to import as much as they like the know have to pay the tax creating opportunities for local or foreign investor to build facilities in Pakistan and they will.

Car manufacturer aren't getting any incentives from government to improve the quality of the product. Most nations forbid price fixing in Pakistan they are allowed. Change those laws and most manufacturer will produce better products to entice the customer.

Bijli chor hai Pakistan ki public, its amazing city such as Karachi is full lf bijli chor.

5360c52e1b402.jpg

''It is true that not all T&D losses result from theft. Still, it is safe to assume that systems with greater than 15 per cent T&D losses are both inefficient and are plagued with theft.''

Ending power theft: Not as simple as cutting off the Presidency - Blogs - DAWN.COM

Basically Karachi, Peshwar and Hydrabad electric distribution losses are the reason for this mess.

load shedding main raho to hi acha hai na bigli a gai to tum log kuch or mango gay . mujhy yaad hai jab tum ko roti kapra bijli mil rahi thi mushrraf time main to tum logoon ke pait min jhamhoriyat ka mroor utha tha na :yahoo:

Jab pait bhara ho tu ada a hi jati hai :angel:

heavy mandate
35 punctures
one eyed Sou motto monster

Democracy is the best revenge

suck on it Pakistanis

back in the days.. the Raja of Kashmir had levied taxes on stoves, windows and doors as well.. I am sure Royal Family of Sherif will levy taxes on everything and eventually on our breathing too.

Finally PML-N does some thing right . I am all for this , wanna sell it here build it here . Tax rate should have been 60% .
tax should be 500%

there are other opportunities as well.. people who have dug tube wells must be taxed as well.. also people who have hand fans must be taxed too.

the opportunities are endless.. May the treasury of House of Sherif match the greed of its royal leaders.
there are even opportunities on taxing people who grow their own vegetables.. they must be taxed 1000%.

heavy mandate
35 punctures
one eyed Sou motto monster

Democracy is the best revenge

suck on it Pakistanis

back in the days.. the Raja of Kashmir had levied taxes on stoves, windows and doors as well.. I am sure Royal Family of Sherif will levy taxes on everything and eventually on our breathing too.

tax should be 500%

there are other opportunities as well.. people who have dug tube wells must be taxed as well.. also people who have hand fans must be taxed too.

the opportunities are endless.. May the treasury of House of Sherif match the greed of its royal leaders.
there are even opportunities on taxing people who grow their own vegetables.. they must be taxed 1000%.

L O L Irfan bhai don't get mad at me please, but this strategy has been applied successfully all over the world to attract investment.

1)Taxes imposed by the government of one nation on imports from other nations. The primary goal of tariffs is to reduce imports and increase domestic production. As taxes, tariffs raise the demand price and lower the supply price, and thus reduce the quantity exchanged. Tariffs are one of three common foreign trade policies designed to discourage imports and/or encourage exports. The other two are import quotas and export subsidies.

L O L Irfan bhai don't get mad at me please, but this strategy has been applied successfully all over the world to attract investment..
not directed at you at all
our system is prone to abuse. the sole point is just to mint money out of us. I doubt if any potential investment or regulation was in the mind of these thugs who dont look beyond their bank accounts.

It is kind of stupid, that while the government has the solar power schemes for the smaller towns and rural areas of Pakistan it wishes to tax the projects being done with it?

not directed at you at all
our system is prone to abuse. the sole point is just to mint money out of us. I doubt if any potential investment or regulation was in the mind of these thugs who dont look beyond their bank accounts.

Don't get me wrong Mula jutt and nurri Nutt are clueless, I seriously doubt PML_N is doing this to invite investment in pakistan , but i think its a fluke and they ended up doing the right thing for the wrong reasons.

Last edited:
taxing panels right now is unjust. They should first build these solar panels, batteries all in Pakistan. Then to improve Internal Manufacturing put tax.

At the moment, not many companies are working on manufacturing panels/battery/invertors on large scale inside the Pakistan.

Why on earth would you do this, They should lower prices on panels so people can buy them, this will ease load on the national grid.
Welcome to corruption 101!

Whatever can bring money- people will go for solar as many are dying for electricity since govt is just sitting on its ***....so if many will go for it lets tax them after all tax are going in the fat stomach of theirs!

No one is saying don't import it , they are free to import as much as they like the know have to pay the tax creating opportunities for local or foreign investor to build facilities in Pakistan and they will.

Car manufacturer aren't getting any incentives from government to improve the quality of the product. Most nations forbid price fixing in Pakistan they are allowed. Change those laws and most manufacturer will produce better products to entice the customer.
One should make opportunities first meaning the product should already be available in Pakistani markets meaning Pakistan should already be making these products BEFORE you put ridiculous tax!

Not impose tax and then say ooo Pakistani market has a chance now to "compete" That is not competition but stupidity or corruption!

Last edited:
is there taxes on imports of solar cells or solar panels ?
Just import solar cells and assemble them

Back
Top Bottom