What's new

Tata unveils the world's cheapest car

In my locality there are several Rickshaw drivers, who were awaiting the arrivel of this Nano from last several year. When Idea of Nano was first concieved 2-3 three years back, this rickshaw drivers rejoice with this news. According to them Auto-Rickshaw of Bajaj cost them nearly Rs. 1,50,000/- and hence Nano become an ideal choice for auto rickshaw drivers. Now this auto rickhawmens are distributing sweets in our locality to celebrating the arrivel of there dream that would cost them almost fraction of what Rickshaw cost them up in terms of Servicing, maintenance as well raise in no of 5 passenger per trip.

LOl Yes, I can see the Indian Mass Transport system changing .. the problem here is the Oil prices .. May be, we will see a variant with LPG KIT soon . it will be definatly a better experience taking a ride in Nano then Auto Rickshaw

According to BBC it has a 30 bhp engine? Doesn't sound like a reliable engine, especially not for road conditions and the tendency of South Asians to overload everything.
Hate to be the negative one, but I will wait and see if this car really is reliable and robust.

Lets hope its not just a really expensive golf cart.

The car is very lightweight...hence the 650cc engine.
Apparently the designers did some very innovative stuff to ensure that it doesn't turn out to be an "apology for a car", as Ratan himself put it.

It should be able to ferry 5 people with ease actually...because its got more room inside than some more expensive hatchbacks in India.

This is because the engine isn't in the front, but at the back, under the car.

One thing is for sure...the autorickshaw is now passe. :P

Car is considered as one and only luxuarious status symbol of middle class families. I think now Automobile producer should think about inovating vechiles based on renewable source of energy, as significiant amount of Import of India consist of oil import from gulf and is measure source economic defecit which we are not able to get rid of.

Basic version: (No air-con, basic wheels)
da9d39ff99d7f53a3350079e253174f1.jpg

"Deluxe" Version (if that word can be stretched this far), alloy wheels and aircon etc.
79ad7c60b61605dbe51d41a66f355ade.jpg

Seats don't recline:
bcfb5996ff0896b6161e1b3860a93de3.jpg

Instrument Panel is in the middle:
fa06e3bb2d41e2c8bb1c6f7813965467.jpg

b74f46974d7b102c8b9bf4b09a6168a2.jpg

Good upgrade for lower-middle class families, college students and rickshaw drivers I guess..
93657bfc4189a17a21fa0631bf0f8f30.jpg

Bajaj definetly should be wary of its monopoly in terms of local travelling and the ending of its workhorse Auto-Rickshaw. And hence Bajaj has already unveil its own four wheel automobile few days prior to Nano and it is estimated to cost somewhere around Rs 1,50,000 to 2,50,000, but still nothing concrete has been decided on its pricing issue. I think much would be depend upon the achieveing the target of somewhere around Rs. 1,00,000/- to match NANO. I think now NANO has opened the door for emmene competition in Indian automobile market which will furthur aggravate all other automobile maker both in domestic and international segments. The competition would be definetly not only in terms of introuducing Ultra-Cheaper Car but also more Eco-friendly as well.

An electric version of this car, IMO, would really put the icing on the cake...

Now introduction of ultra-cheap vehicle has definetly triggered a race against time, since it will impact overall composition of automobiles parameters. Now not only families and auto-rickshaw driver but also some higher middle class family would opt for this vechile, making existance all other segments of vehicle especially in the rage of Rs. 3 lacs to 4 lacs null and void. Since in spite of its small size and ultra cheap price it can accomodate 5 people and hence it would definetly make like of foreign automobiles giant like Suzuki,Toyota,ford etc hail.

Now introduction of ultra-cheap vehicle has definetly triggered a race against time, since it will impact overall composition of automobiles parameters. Now not only families and auto-rickshaw driver but also some higher middle class family would opt for this vechile, making existance all other segments of vehicle especially in the rage of Rs. 3 lacs to 4 lacs null and void. Since in spite of its small size and ultra cheap price it can accomodate 5 people and hence it would definetly make like of foreign automobiles giant like Suzuki,Toyota,ford etc hail.

The battle has begun"

Honda Siel to unveil small car Jazz by 2009
New Delhi, Honda Siel Cars India Ltd on Thursday said that it expects to launch its small car, Jazz in India next year. Mr Masahiro Takedagawa, President, Honda Siel said at the ongoing Auto Expo that the company would study the customer feedback on the small car before deciding to launch it in India.

?The Jazz is the most probable candidate to fill the small car space in India,? said Mr Takedagawa. The car will be made in India with 80 per cent parts sourced locally, he said. Honda Siel Cars India is 99.9 per cent owned by Japan?s Honda Motor Co Ltd and 0.1 per cent by Siel Ltd.

The company will use its second car plant in Rajasthan to mark its foray into the high volume compact car segment, which according to estimates dominates overall car sales with a market share of over 75 per cent.

?We will invest Rs 1,000 crore in our Rajasthan plant by the end of 2009. We are setting up both a paint shop and auto shop facility there,? said Mr Takedagawa. Production at the Rajasthan plant starts in 2009.

Mr Takedagawa said Honda Siel is aiming to make 160,000 cars annually in India by the end of 2010. Honda had doubled manufacturing capacity at its first plant near New Delhi to 100,000 units in 2007. ?As we increase our production from 100,000 units now to 160,000 by the end of 2010, we will need more dealerships to cater to our customers. We plan to increase the number of dealers from 66 now to 80 by March this year and 100 dealers by March 2009,? Mr Takedagawa said. He said the company is also looking at adding to its current four authorised service and spare parts outlets, but did not elaborate.

Eco-friendly variant

Besides this, Honda Siel will also roll out a more environment-friendly variant of its popular sedan Civic in the next two-three months. ?We have decided to launch a 60 per cent fuel efficient Civic Hybrid in India,? Mr Takedagawa said. Hybrid cars would be imported and cost double the current price, he said.

Explaining the rationale of high pricing of the car, Mr Takedagawa said the import duty in the country is over 100 per cent and that would reflect on the pricing. The car runs on a 1.3-litre petrol engine supported by electric motor and is undergoing a homologation test. The company today also launched two-litre Honda CRV at Rs 17.15 lakh. It plans to launch the eighth generation of its premium sedan Accord by middle of this year.
Honda Siel to unveil small car Jazz by 2009

More competition coming:

Mitsubishi to launch electric car in India
New Delhi, Mitsubishi Motors expects to launch its electric vehicle in India in a few years while the Outlander SUV will be manufactured locally.

Hindustan Motors? Managing Director, Mr Ravi Santhanam, and Mitsubishi Motors General Manager for Product Planning, Mr Katsuya Maeda, told newspersons that the electric car, i-MiEV (Mitsubishi innovative electric vehicle) which has been launched in Japan and Hong Kong, is expected to be launched in India in a few years. ?This car is for real and is getting ready for commercial production,? Mr Santhanam said.

He said the electric car works on lithium ion battery and can be charged up to 80 per cent in 30 minutes using a special charging system.

The Outlander

The Outlander SUV which is expected to be priced above Rs 32 lakh, will also be manufactured in India close on the heels of Mitsubishi?s decision to manufacture the vehicle in Europe. The 2.4-litre powered Outlander has advanced drive train features and is based on Mitsubishi all wheel control system.

Another car which was displayed at the expo, Lancer Evolution, is popular among rallyists and is also expected to be launched in India shortly.

Mitsubishi to launch electric car in India

I think some five to Seven years ago, possessing Mobile phone was considered as status symbol and mainly it was considered in sphere of Upper and middile classes of people. But with the introduction of homegrown telcome and mobile phones like Reliance, TATA, BSNL which was begining to provide Mobile as low as Rs. 500/- per mobile Phone. And now situation is that Mobile is now become a toy for the lower class of people, which once only dream about mobile phones.

I think introduction of Nano car, will bring a new revolution in India where even automobiles would be well within the reach of Lower class of people. ONE CAN ANTICIPATE THE GOLDEN AGE IS KNOCKING DOORS OF INDIA.

Salute to Ratan Tata. We need some more like him in India and the face of India will change forever.

I think introduction of Nano car, will bring a new revolution in India where even automobiles would be well within the reach of Lower class of people. ONE CAN ANTICIPATE THE GOLDEN AGE IS KNOCKING DOORS OF INDIA.

Hold your horses please....a car model is not going to cause a revolution in India.

When the golden age comes, it will be so obvious we won't even have to mention it.

This is not a golden age. This is simply an awakening from a thousand year slumber.

Hold your horses please....a car model is not going to cause a revolution in India.

I had explain in my previous post that, Car is last status symbol for middile class family after refrigerator, A/C, Electronics Accessories,Television etc, so with ultra cheap car like Nano, people from lower level can think of purschasing one for themselves.

When the golden age comes, it will be so obvious we won't even have to mention it.This is not a golden age. This is simply an awakening from a thousand year slumber.

I had explain date Golden Age is about to knock our door and we can anticipate its arrivel. I didn't outrightly claim that Golden age has arrived.

I had explain date Golden Age is about to knock our door and we can anticipate its arrivel. I didn't outrightly claim that Golden age has arrived.

Nah...I don't think any golden age is knocking either....its a long way to go buddy...

Back
Top Bottom