What's new

TATA Motors presents its new LAMV & WAAP at Defexpo 2014.

Yeah it still exists...just that the "bhaiyas" dont do every household chores these days.

Ohh come on...how many "bhaiyas" do our officers need?
A gardner? A chef? A helper? A driver? One to drop the kid to school? Another to dust the paintings at home?
Those guys should not be punished like this....they joined Army and they have higher priorities.
shoe polishing and putting "brasso" on the officers stars and medals brings down their morale for sure.Dont you think???
I think its time Indian Army completely got rid of this system.

Back to topic:
What about the comparison between Indian and Chinese LAMVs??? Just curious... :)

Its going to be difficult to compare LTV/LAMV designs but if its any consolation to you the TATA LAMV's specs match the attributes of the vehicles competing in the American JLTV program (protected all composite detachable crew pod and V-shaped hull, the crew pod is constructed as a separate module which is sealed off from potential secondary projectiles, all seats are mine-blast protected). Nearly as good as the offering from Oshkosh and that's saying something, although I'm pretty sure that Supacat's consultancy might have had something to do with that. Its a full blooded LTV just as the Kestrel (on paper at least) matches its brethren like the Stryker. Now all that remains is to actually break them in in the mud and the grime and see what occurs.

Lets say, for the sake of being succinct, that I can understand why @Abingdonboy is so interested in the LAMV.

@Joe Shearer Anyway so I went to ground for a while driven by a sense of enlightened self preservation, telling said certain someone that the novelty of her company had officially worn off long back was not a good move in hindsight.

@Ravi Nair Trying to sit at the big boy table are we? It would be in your best interest to sit way over in the corner huddled along with @Armstrong, hanging on to the words of enlightenment with rapt attention and wide eyed awe.

Last edited:
Everything here on this thread except TATA LAMV & WAAP ...:D

Its going to be difficult to compare LTV/LAMV designs but if its any consolation to you the TATA LAMV's specs match the attributes of the vehicles competing in the American JLTV program (protected all composite detachable crew pod and V-shaped hull, the crew pod is constructed as a separate module which is sealed off from potential secondary projectiles, all seats are mine-blast protected).
I have challenged that claim before....on this thread.
A large blast from an AVM will destroy most light vehicles... The V shaped hull you were talking about protects the lower back side of the vehicle and not the front...If struck in the front, the engine may be displaced completely, flooring and firewall will be destroyed, and the vehicle will be lifted off the ground. Severe fragmentation from metals and plastic will occur and the vehicle will roll over or crash if in motion. Personnel not wearing seatbelts will be driven up by the blast into the roof of the vehicle, causing severe, if not fatal, head and neck injuries.So I am so sure the "all seats are mine blast protected " is just a myth.
Even a 40000pound MRAP was blown away (i have posted the pic on the 1st page of this thread) by AVM impact so how good is a LAMV?? Why havent they mentioned about the blast intensity??
The speed of 105kmph?? Is that on a rough terrain??

I have challenged that claim before....on this thread.
A large blast from an AVM will destroy most light vehicles... The V shaped hull you were talking about protects the lower back side of the vehicle and not the front...If struck in the front, the engine may be displaced completely, flooring and firewall will be destroyed, and the vehicle will be lifted off the ground. Severe fragmentation from metals and plastic will occur and the vehicle will roll over or crash if in motion. Personnel not wearing seatbelts will be driven up by the blast into the roof of the vehicle, causing severe, if not fatal, head and neck injuries.
Even a 40000pound MRAP was blown away (i have posted the pic on the 1st page of this thread) by AVM impact so how good is a LAMV?? Why havent they mentioned about the blast intensity??
The speed of 105kmph?? Is that on a rough terrain??

I see, well an IED composed of 6 artillery shells wired together and left by the road can severely damage an Abrams forget a MRAP or LATV. No vehicle will ever provide complete protection. You must understand the design criterion, providing relative protection (up to Stanag level 3 which happens to be the generally accepted level of mine blast protection on MRAPs) in a lighter vehicle so as to enhance mobility.

On to the protection afforded by the design choices. As far as mine protection goes the LAMV at its best will be able to eat a 8kg AT mine going off under one of its wheels while keeping the crew alive on the other hand a remotely detonated IED with anything above 12-15kg of explosives going off underneath the "floor" will eat any armored vehicle known to man and spit out shrapnel. The whole point is to take away the poorly armored Humvees and its clones/contemporaries and provide a similarly light vehicle with better protection in relative terms.

So the value and success of any such vehicle devolves from the need projected by the forces and the IA and CAPFs have been clamoring for a LATV, incidentally the TATA LAMV matches the protection specs of some of the best that are out there.

"All seats are blast protected"- simply means that the seats attenuate the blast pressure and force (obviously up to a certain level), it doesn't mean that a large IED will somehow not kill the crew just because the seats are "blast proof".

Last edited:
Lo Joe Bhai retirement ki age aa gaiii aur abhii tukkk aaap Joru kay Ghulam hain ! :disagree:

Be your own man instead of looking up to Bhabi for permission for everything from buying a pack of Cheetos to buying a new Mercedes ! :coffee:

I'll get back to you the moment I get clearance from the, umm, let's see now (Major General + 2 =) General Memsahib.

Yeah it still exists...just that the "bhaiyas" dont do every household chores these days.

Ohh come on...how many "bhaiyas" do our officers need?
A gardner? A chef? A helper? A driver? One to drop the kid to school? Another to dust the paintings at home?
Those guys should not be punished like this....they joined Army and they have higher priorities.
shoe polishing and putting "brasso" on the officers stars and medals brings down their morale for sure.Dont you think???
I think its time Indian Army completely got rid of this system.

Back to topic:
What about the comparison between Indian and Chinese LAMVs??? Just curious... :)

Presumably you were replying @Indischer here?

What did I do?

Strayed into a Bong-on-Bong shindig.

Its going to be difficult to compare LTV/LAMV designs but if its any consolation to you the TATA LAMV's specs match the attributes of the vehicles competing in the American JLTV program (protected all composite detachable crew pod and V-shaped hull, the crew pod is constructed as a separate module which is sealed off from potential secondary projectiles, all seats are mine-blast protected). Nearly as good as the offering from Oshkosh and that's saying something, although I'm pretty sure that Supacat's consultancy might have had something to do with that. Its a full blooded LTV just as the Kestrel (on paper at least) matches its brethren like the Stryker. Now all that remains is to actually break them in in the mud and the grime and see what occurs.

Lets say, for the sake of being succinct, that I can understand why @Abingdonboy is so interested in the LAMV.

@Joe Shearer Anyway so I went to ground for a while driven by a sense of enlightened self preservation, telling said certain someone that the novelty of her company had officially worn off long back was not a good move in hindsight.

:o:

You may count yourself lucky to be alive.

@Ravi Nair Trying to sit at the big boy table are we? It would be in your best interest to sit way over in the corner huddled along with @Armstrong, hanging on to the words of enlightenment with rapt attention and wide eyed awe.

Best, best....

Last edited:
I see, well an IED composed of 6 artillery shells wired together and left by the road can severely damage an Abrams forget a MRAP or LATV. No vehicle will ever provide complete protection. You must understand the design criterion, providing relative protection (up to Stanag level 3 which happens to be the generally accepted level of mine blast protection on MRAPs) in a lighter vehicle so as to enhance mobility.

On to the protection afforded by the design choices. As far as mine protection goes the LAMV at its best will be able to eat a 8kg AT mine going off under one of its wheels while keeping the crew alive on the other hand a remotely detonated IED with anything above 12-15kg of explosives going off underneath the "floor" will eat any armored vehicle known to man and spit out shrapnel. The whole point is to take away the poorly armored Humvees and its clones/contemporaries and provide a similarly light vehicle with better protection in relative terms.

So the value and success of any such vehicle devolves from the need projected by the forces and the IA and CAPFs have been clamoring for a LATV, incidentally the TATA LAMV matches the protection specs of some of the best that are out there.

"All seats are blast protected"- simply means that the seats attenuate the blast pressure and force (obviously up to a certain level), it doesn't mean that a large IED will somehow not kill the crew just because the seats are "blast proof".
Gotcha!!!

That video was a little disturbing...not because it had shown a blast but I guess it belongs to the terrorists...them attacking MRAP??

And thanks!!

Last edited:
Gotcha!!!

That video was a little disturbing...not because it had shown a blast but I guess it belongs to the terrorists...them attacking MRAP??

And thanks!!

correction, the lamv will feature stanag-2a/b level blast protection so it will max out at a 6kg at-mine under the wheel or below the floor.

Last edited:
Everything here on this thread except TATA LAMV & WAAP ...:D
As usual! Back to the thread. When the KDF invaded Somalia they used the Mamba mk 5 now assembled in Mombasa.
A7kQJ-bCAAA1N6M.jpg

Like vehicles of its type its ideal for the 3rd world low intensity coin environment-cheaper than a true AFV with the cost slightly above that of a truck. By the time the ALS realised it was heavily armoured and could withstand 7.62 mm many had joined the 72 virgins in the sky. In this short clip of an ambush you can hear some rounds actually hitting but not penetrating its hull.

Country Latest Posts

Back
Top Bottom